Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:29 AM

245 posts, read 323,861 times

Advertisements

We had been set on a new build in Northfield(around 55th) but are starting to reconsider and have recently discovered the Buffalo Run area in Commerce City with new construction at a more palatable price per sq/ft. We are hoping to stay around $450k in Stapleton and would be around $390k in Buffalo Run for about 600 sq ft more with about twice the lot size and higher finishes.

We like the price point in BR, a higher quality builder, as well as having a larger lot and being near (or on) the golf course. Stapleton would have more of a community feel and better parks, shorter commute, and better schools...though we would ultimately like to be in Golden in the next 10-12 years so our 11 month old would probably go to junior high and high school out there.

My biggest concerns with Buffalo Run would be home appreciation and feeling more isolated. Even at a higher price now Stapleton may be the better investment.

Anyone have any insights on the Buffalo Run area?

Last edited by DenverBound41; 04-03-2015 at 08:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 09:06 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
As a Denver native, I can honestly say that I would never, never, never live in Commerce City, EVER.

I know it is a long-held bias against a city that is improving, especially in the newer part like Buffalo Run. To me, CC will always be the cesspool of Denver. The schools are really awful, the older parts are industrial wastelands with environmental issues, and, yes, there are gang problems. The newer areas are not really associated with some of these issues (though the schools still are bad), but why take the risk?

Also, who is to say that you will be able to afford to move in 8-12 years? Things happen, and people get stuck in their house. At that point, your child will have to go to these awful schools. When I bought my house many years back, I knew that I'd be sending my kids to Catholic school. However, I passed up a few houses I really liked because if something happened and I couldn't afford Catholic school, I would be okay with the neighborhood school they would attend.

Last edited by davidv; 04-03-2015 at 10:24 AM..

Old 04-03-2015, 09:22 AM

Fair points, thanks for the insight. We do have our current house north of City Park which we plan to keep as a rental so we would probably have the option of moving back here if we absolutely needed to in the future.

I've been in Denver for about 6 years and I have really never spent any time in Commerce City, but I've heard bad stories and I've also heard it's improving.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:02 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
In my opinion the only good thing in Commerce City is Dick's Sporting Good's Park. I see they are building a ton of new homes next to it. Is that the area you are looking at?

Old 04-03-2015, 10:09 AM

The houses south of Dicks currently being built are Northfield Stapleton, not sure if there are other developments as well. Buffalo Run is further northeast, near Reunion, which I never had heard of until yesterday. :-) We would be around Chambers and 112th.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:26 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,053,725 times
If I'm not off base these homes are north of Reunion. Reunion homes sell for a good amount. Their elementary is rated high, 8 on Great Schools. It is the same type of situation you see in Denver where folks with more education and higher incomes are buying in and their young kids are raising the ratings of the elementary but they haven't hit the middle schools or high schools yet so those are still poorly rated.

Commerce City proper does have many disadvantages with the dog food plant, refinery, old dilapidated housing stock etc. But the Reunion area and Buffalo Run aren't part of that area. They are Commerce City in mailing address only. I just looked up Reunion on recolorado.com and the price ranges are $324K-$799K. I would imagine Buffalo Run will be quite nice also.

In terms of isolation. That is a real issue. I don't think there is much out there in terms of stores or restaurants. I don't think that is likely to change any time soon. You are also fairly close to the airport. You would want to carefully check out airport noise issues.

Last edited by mic111; 04-03-2015 at 10:40 AM..

Old 04-03-2015, 10:27 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound41 View Post
The houses south of Dicks currently being built are Northfield Stapleton, not sure if there are other developments as well. Buffalo Run is further northeast, near Reunion, which I never had heard of until yesterday. :-) We would be around Chambers and 112th.
They call it Reunion because if they called it Commerce City, nobody would move there. Same for Buffalo Run. They use the community names without ever referring to the fact that it is in Commerce City.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:11 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default It gets worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
if they called it Commerce City, nobody would move there. Same for Buffalo Run.
Even worse is that Buffalo Run abuts UNincorporated Adams County.
Who knows what will happen "across the street"?

Old 04-03-2015, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the replies thus far, certainly gives me pause about moving up that way.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:06 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound41 View Post
According to the Stapleton development map, they'll be building Stapleton homes just east of Dick's as well, which will be in the city of Denver. The only negative up there is that concerts can be loud. I can hear them from my home in Stapleton and I live south of I-70.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver