U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 09:47 AM

122 posts, read 133,990 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Westminster, CO from Calgary Alberta in two weeks. I will be towing a U-Haul trailer.

Google Maps shows I have to cross the border at Coutts / Sweet Grass and take I-15 South.
It goes through Great Falls MT, Billings MT, Casper WY, Cheyenne WY, Fort Collins CO, Westminster CO

It is about 16h and 30 minutes drive if you do not stop. I think it is too much to be done in one day towing a trailer and driving unfamiliar roads. I plan on leaving early in the morning from Calgary and driving to Billings MT and stay there for the night and leave next morning for Westminster CO.

I am looking for advice on the route, where to stop for the night, what to watch for, any advice that can help me make this trip safe and enjoyable. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 10:17 AM

5,225 posts, read 8,384,895 times
You did mean I-25, not I-15, right ?

Old 03-21-2015, 10:20 AM

13,237 posts, read 24,403,441 times
I would stop in Billings too. I did a similar move from Spokane, WA, and towing a trailer simply adds that much more to the trip that you need to stop at a reasonable point (I drove a cramped cargo van while towing a Uhaul trailer). I pushed it to Kaycee, WY (750 miles from start), and ultimately wished I hadn't.

I stayed in a Motel 6 in Billings once, and it was one of the nicer ones I've stayed in, if that's any consolation. The drive itself will range from absolutely boring to completely stunning, so prepare yourself for that. Also remember that Montana is a huge state, so it will take awhile to cross it. Bring something to listen to, unless you REALLY like country music or religious radio.

Make sure you stop in the bigger cities/towns if you need to eat or get gas, as there will be long stretches without either. I once "chanced it" between Buffalo and Casper, and ran out of gas a few feet into the gas station parking lot in Bar Nunn. If you don't have 100 miles of gas in your tank while passing through a city, stop and get some. The walking around will help too.

Once you enter Colorado, you'll be to Westminster before you know it. The most striking differences you'll encounter by Fort Collins is the traffic, the civilization, and greener farmland.

Welcome to Denver, "The Calgary of the U.S.".

Old 03-21-2015, 10:21 AM

6,937 posts, read 6,545,853 times
I think Billings is a good halfway point for a stop.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:21 AM

13,237 posts, read 24,403,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
You did mean I-25, not I-15, right ?
No, he'll be on I-15 from the border to Great Falls or Butte (his choice).

Old 03-22-2015, 04:57 PM

2,693 posts, read 2,341,152 times
You'll fit right in Denver coming from Calgary. Welcome!

Old 03-22-2015, 05:03 PM

122 posts, read 133,990 times
Thank you guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Welcome to Denver, "The Calgary of the U.S.".
I think there are many similarities between the two cities too

I will definitely miss Calgary but I am equally excited about moving to Denver.
I hope to make it my home and find new friends here

Old 03-23-2015, 09:33 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,271,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark6286 View Post
Thank you guys!

I think there are many similarities between the two cities too

I will definitely miss Calgary but I am equally excited about moving to Denver.
I hope to make it my home and find new friends here
I have friends who moved from Denver to Calgary a few years ago. They said it's very similar to Denver, just a little colder, and a shorter summer. But then when they came back to Denver last summer, they were complaining about the heat lol!

Old 03-23-2015, 06:50 PM

229 posts, read 362,670 times
Billings is the perfect stopping point. My wife and I have driven from Edmonton (her home) to Denver several times and we always go that exact direction. From Great Falls, we go 87 to 191 to 12 to 3 down into Billings where we usually stop for the night. From Edmonton it took about 20 hours in total or about 11 to Billings. Then the remaining 9 the next day. Since you're coming from Calgary, it should only be about 7-8 to Billings. Once you cross over into WY the rest of the drive is quite boring so make sure you load up on good audio books or music!

My wife loves it here and often calls our winters "balmy" .

Old 03-24-2015, 07:00 AM

2,693 posts, read 2,341,152 times
The only thing that Calgary has over Denver is their skyline, its changing drastically. I think their tallest building proposed is the Oxford Place which is 62 stories. Denver needs an update after having the same skyline since 1985, with the exception of a few skyscrapers (four seasons, etc.)

Take a look at the past and future of Calgary's growing skyline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or