U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 06:25 PM

695 posts, read 803,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
I feel ya. I just got back from SoCal last week, and my oh my what a vast difference in scenery and climate. I jokingly told my friend that even the air smelled sweeter (we were in Irvine/Santa Ana/Orange for the record).

When I was choosing a place to live back in 2008 after college, CA seemed to be a pipe dream because of the high COL. Gas is still a bit steeper there, from what I recall being over $3/gallon. However, the housing prices here in Denver seem to be fast approaching what they are in CA. Sure, you have gorgeous mountain views, but you do also in CA. As well as beautiful sunsets over the ocean and an abundance of beaches to lie out on. Did I mention the weather? My gawd it was gorgeous. I don't think there was a day below 70 when were there a week ago.

Funny thing is, on my first day back in Denver it snowed and was below 40 degrees. And if last summer was any indication of what's to come, it's going to be another cool, rainy summer. I guess there's some upside in that though, especially if you own property and have a lawn. Personally, as an outdoorsy person, I was a little disappointed at how cool and rainy it was, because it prevented me from spending time outdoors doing the things I love.

I think a lot of the contributing factors to the high demand here are the mountain scenery, the pot culture, and overall outdoors lifestyle. Being that the weather has been meh the past year or so, I can't exactly say that's the selling point for me anymore, as I prefer a warmer climate personally. So who knows. Now that I seem to be priced out of this housing market for the foreseeable future, maybe it's about time I reconsider CA as a long term destination.
I was out in Huntington Beach last October, and just loved the surfing lifestyle. Then went up to LA to do some research on a book I'm writing, and the people on Sunset Blvd were really cool. The next day I drove to San Diego for the Eagles concert and the views from PCH were incredible. The whole 4 days were all glorious California sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 07:15 PM

695 posts, read 803,192 times
Article on Channel 7 website as to excessive rental costs forcing people out of apartments.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:35 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,799,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
Article on Channel 7 website as to excessive rental costs forcing people out of apartments.
Soaring rental prices are forcing some Denver renters to out of their apartments - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

Here's the article. I'm wondering what they earn since it's both her and her husband. From the looks of their place, it's pretty new as well. I'm also curious as to where they live. Personally, it seems like both of them are low income earners or their other costs are too high. $1400 would be steep for one person like myself, making around $66k/yr, especially for a rental, but it seems like it'd be doable for two people earning a moderate income, say $35k-$40k each with little debt. I'm also curious if it's a 1-BR or 2-BR or what? $1400 for a 2-BR would seem pretty reasonable in the right location.

But yeah, the point is also that their rent has risen over $200 in a year. That is downright outrageous and it's a testament to the fact this this rental/housing market is out of control. I feel a bubble coming very soon.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:46 PM

167 posts, read 133,115 times
Quote:
But yeah, the point is also that their rent has risen over $200 in a year. That is downright outrageous and it's a testament to the fact this this rental/housing market is out of control. I feel a bubble coming very soon.
$200 in a year? I was looking at apartments during an interview trip last September and just started looking again due to a job opening... and the prices for a 2 bedroom apartment has jumped $200-300 just in that time frame (about 6 months)...

Old 03-27-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscapesg01 View Post
$200 in a year? I was looking at apartments during an interview trip last September and just started looking again due to a job opening... and the prices for a 2 bedroom apartment has jumped $200-300 just in that time frame (about 6 months)...
That's ridiculous. Is Denver importing a bunch of six figure earners to buy and rent these things up? I just don't get it, because I look at the majority of people around me and they don't appear to make that much money.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:01 PM

167 posts, read 133,115 times
Yeah, granted I was looking the Centennial area because it would be close to the office. But it is really making me question my desire to move to Denver. Unfortunately, I was trying to stay with the company I've been with for 15 years and my only other options are southern states (Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, Louisiana)... which I'm really trying to get away from. The closest options they have that are more "northern" are the DC area or Salt Lake.. neither of which are on my list of wants.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:23 PM

6,533 posts, read 10,219,301 times
Quote:
I feel ya. I just got back from SoCal last week, and my oh my what a vast difference in scenery and climate. I jokingly told my friend that even the air smelled sweeter (we were in Irvine/Santa Ana/Orange for the record).

When I was choosing a place to live back in 2008 after college, CA seemed to be a pipe dream because of the high COL. Gas is still a bit steeper there, from what I recall being over $3/gallon. However, the housing prices here in Denver seem to be fast approaching what they are in CA. Sure, you have gorgeous mountain views, but you do also in CA. As well as beautiful sunsets over the ocean and an abundance of beaches to lie out on. Did I mention the weather? My gawd it was gorgeous. I don't think there was a day below 70 when were there a week ago.

Funny thing is, on my first day back in Denver it snowed and was below 40 degrees. And if last summer was any indication of what's to come, it's going to be another cool, rainy summer. I guess there's some upside in that though, especially if you own property and have a lawn. Personally, as an outdoorsy person, I was a little disappointed at how cool and rainy it was, because it prevented me from spending time outdoors doing the things I love.

I think a lot of the contributing factors to the high demand here are the mountain scenery, the pot culture, and overall outdoors lifestyle. Being that the weather has been meh the past year or so, I can't exactly say that's the selling point for me anymore, as I prefer a warmer climate personally. So who knows. Now that I seem to be priced out of this housing market for the foreseeable future, maybe it's about time I reconsider CA as a long term destination.
You're kvetching about housing prices in Denver and you want to move to California?

Last edited by bluescreen73; 03-27-2015 at 08:56 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 09:20 PM

246 posts, read 356,333 times
Quote:

Actually, the air does smell sweeter. The blend of humidity and temperature are actually considered about perfect. The air is filled with citrus blossom, hyacinth, gardenia, etc. Denver is way too dry to me, dewpoints way too low for comfortable living. Very high dewpoints can be uncomfortable at high temps, but super low dewpoints that Denver has are not pleasant. No moisture in the air is not comfortable, the air is scratchy. Here along the coast, the air is silky smooth.

Don't get me wrong, I like Denver, and when my friends first moved there in 2008, I thought it was a great value. However, at these prices, Denver at least to me, is way too pricey for what you get. When you are in striking distance of coastal California, the value proposition to CA, just on weather alone, so outshines Denver, that its no wonder some people, like my friends are moving back.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You're kvetching about housing prices in Denver and you want to move to California?
Well, like Calix says, with the prices going up like they are in Denver and catching up very quickly with coastal CA, it'd make some sense. At least there I'd have an ocean and beaches nearby along with the mountains. Plus, it tends to be a lot more milder in certain parts of CA, which I like. Denver's climate has changed since I first moved here in 2008, from one that was a little more mild and dry to one that is cooler with a lot more precipitation. Not really a big selling point for someone who likes to get on the bike as often as possible. Last summer was no better than a Michigan summer IMO. I guess we'll see how this summer plays out.

Just speaking hypothetically, of course. I'm not saying that I'm going to do it for sure.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:38 AM

13,967 posts, read 20,244,681 times
Default Probably

Still Moving to Texas: The 2014 Metropolitan Population Estimates | Newgeography.com

There is much more in the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or