Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:39 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Years ago I used to think there were a lot of similarities between DEN and ABQ until I started taking some trips to Albuquerque and learning more about the place. Any apparent similarities are only superficial. Albuquerque has a true desert southwest climate, basically a cooler version of Phoenix. True, summer average high and low temperatures in Albuquerque are very similar to Denver, but the weather patterns are completely different. Albuquerque is bone dry with very little to no precipitation in early summer, until the monsoon season kicks in from July to September. Denver, by contrast, gets some of its most rain, clouds, humidity, thunderstorms, and hailstorms of the year in early summer. Winter in ABQ both starts 1-2 months later and ends 1-2 months earlier than Denver and is much milder. They get a dusting of snow every now and then but it is miniscule compared to Denver. ABQ is a bit warmer on average than DEN pretty much all year round except summer, with less chaotic day to day variability in the weather.

Santa Fe has more comparable temperatures to Denver year round, but the weather patterns are still quite different. Basically, Albuquerque/ Santa Fe has the climate that Denver thinks it has.

Overall, I think Albuquerque has the better climate. I'm a big fan of the desert southwest and will take the climate/ landscape/ scenery of the high Chihuahuan desert over the Great Plains any day. Denver is home to me though, regardless.
I totally agree with your points.

On a related subject, but not climate- did you happen to see the article on Yahoo that showed estimated population gains/declines of counties/states? The map of NM showed a lot of people are leaving. I know their economy isn't healthy, but not sure what the issues are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 03:59 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times
Quote:
Albuquerque has a true desert southwest climate, basically a cooler version of Phoenix.
No. There are bigger differences, mainly due to the elevation. Phoenix is at 1000 feet, Albq at 5,000.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:42 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,093 times
Quote:
Years ago I used to think there were a lot of similarities between DEN and ABQ until I started taking some trips to Albuquerque and learning more about the place. Any apparent similarities are only superficial. Albuquerque has a true desert southwest climate, basically a cooler version of Phoenix. True, summer average high and low temperatures in Albuquerque are very similar to Denver, but the weather patterns are completely different. Albuquerque is bone dry with very little to no precipitation in early summer, until the monsoon season kicks in from July to September. Denver, by contrast, gets some of its most rain, clouds, humidity, thunderstorms, and hailstorms of the year in early summer. Winter in ABQ both starts 1-2 months later and ends 1-2 months earlier than Denver and is much milder. They get a dusting of snow every now and then but it is miniscule compared to Denver. ABQ is a bit warmer on average than DEN pretty much all year round except summer, with less chaotic day to day variability in the weather.

Santa Fe has more comparable temperatures to Denver year round, but the weather patterns are still quite different. Basically, Albuquerque/ Santa Fe has the climate that Denver thinks it has.

Overall, I think Albuquerque has the better climate. I'm a big fan of the desert southwest and will take the climate/ landscape/ scenery of the high Chihuahuan desert over the Great Plains any day. Denver is home to me though, regardless.
Vegas is very succinct and accurate as usual; knows his South West well. Colorado is surrounded by two of the coolest states IMO Utah, New Mexico. The more I experience other places the more I appreciate Colorado.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:50 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,550,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I totally agree with your points.

On a related subject, but not climate- did you happen to see the article on Yahoo that showed estimated population gains/declines of counties/states? The map of NM showed a lot of people are leaving. I know their economy isn't healthy, but not sure what the issues are.
I used to go there a lot for work. High poverty rates, especially on the reservations. High crimes rates, again especially on the reservations. It's a bit depressing down there. Santa Fe and Taos are gorgeous. Its a tough place to live for a lot of people.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:35 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,775,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
High poverty rates, especially on the reservations. High crimes rates, again especially on the reservations.
Although the reservations have crime, there's a lot more in Albuquerque and some of the surrounding towns.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:56 PM

492 posts, read 1,041,393 times
I checked out ABQ closely as a potential city to move to, largely based on its weather. Once when I was checking into a hotel there, the clerks saw I was from Seattle and one said wistfully "wish we got some rain here". That started me thinking that ABQ's weather is too much of a good thing, for me. I prefer weather variety, and more precipitation. My ideal weather would be ABQ's temps and seasons but with more rain and thunderstorms than they get. In the end I chose Colorado Springs, sacrificing warmer temps.

Old 08-25-2020, 09:51 PM

121 posts, read 83,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico View Post
These two cities seem to have some similarities, not just in climate and weather. From my C-D research it seems as if Albuquerque has superior weather because of much less snow totals and warmer winters. Both seem to be equally hot in the summer. Both have basically the same altitude if not slightly higher in Albuquerque. However, I've been following the weather in both cities since around Oct/Nov '14 and they seem to be neck in neck. Has it been an unseasonably warm winter in Denver with much less than usual snowfall totals?
Forget Albuquerque - probably one of the ugliest towns in the country. Northern New Mexico is spectacular however. Santa Fe and Taos, particularly. Both have elevations of about 7000 feet and have a marvelous climate - glorious summers when the temps do not rise above mid eighties, with chilly nights in the fifties. There is a consistent 50-degree difference between night and day in the high desert. Northern NM has spectacular autumns, with the Aspen trees are turning golden, the proximity to the Santa Fe National Forest and the Jemez mountains for hiking, and beautiful winters with powdery Rocky Mountain snowfalls that are equally beautiful and not so cold that one cannot navigate. Northern New Mexico does not have the terrible blizzards that paralyze Colorado. Santa Fe is quite expensive, Taos less so but more isolated.

I don't know Denver but it is not reputed to be a very pretty city though I do have many friends who love Boulder. If you are looking at Colorado, I'd definitely look at Boulder first. There are very small but beautiful towns on the NM/Colorado border, like Durango and a couple of others, definitely for outdoor types.

No one should move to Albuquerque except under duress. It's a very ugly town and the weather isn't all that great. Go north. Santa Fe has a higher altitude (7000 feet) and as such, a much better climate and besides, it's incredibly charming. Expensive, however. Taos has the same altitude and is much smaller, less expensive although somewhat isolated.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-25-2020 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 08-26-2020, 07:28 AM

824 posts, read 704,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
... Its a tough place to live for a lot of people.
I lived in Cedar Crest NM a mountain community east of Albuquerque. Worked at the labs i did. I did not go into the valley (city) that often. Hiking and the out doors were spectacular. Life was good 4me. I recall my truck quit on some back roads between Albuquerque and SantaFe and I walked to the nearest lights. It was an eye opener how citizens live if they have to.
but
we are talking about the weather:
Albuquerque is dryer.
the city proper is on the west side of the Sandia mountains, a narrow mountain range. Dont know how this structure might effect weather in Albuquerque compared to Denver.
Maybe Aluquerque is more windy too.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:41 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,679 times
Gotta watch out for pizza on your roof in ABQ.

Old 08-26-2020, 08:28 AM

824 posts, read 704,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Gotta watch out for pizza on your roof in ABQ.
this is a Breaking Bad thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver