U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:19 PM

18 posts, read 20,142 times

Advertisements

I'm a CO native and I grew up in Evergreen. My parents still live up there.

If you're debating between Evergreen and East high schools it's a pretty simple comparison - Evergreen is MUCH better academically and the school is MUCH safer. East has MUCH better athletics and MUCH more diversity.

Denver has amazing restaurants, fun bars, beautiful parks and lots of golf courses. Evergreen is a great town for enjoying the outdoors (hiking, biking, camping), but a very bad town for culture/entertainment. The restaurants in Evergreen are awful (there are maybe 10 of them?), there is no night life, and there are only 2 golf courses - 1 of which requires $35,000 down plus $500/month and a quarterly food minimum .

Evergreen is cheaper than Denver proper, but more expensive than most of the Denver suburbs. If you have to commute downtown it could be 30-60 minutes each way, depending on where in Evergreen we're talking about.

What's more important to you? I loved growing up in Evergreen, but honestly I couldn't live there now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 05:36 PM

650 posts, read 564,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schloe View Post

Evergreen is cheaper than Denver proper
Agreed, but not by much. It's all getting very pricey.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:52 PM

21 posts, read 32,686 times
Default evergreen

we've been researching a move to colorado for a few months now. Just came across this town of evergreen. We have 3 boys (6, 4 And 1) and thinking this might be a good place for us. We love the outdoors but don't wanna be too far from the city. I understand that denver is about 20 minutes away. Would we have to travel to Denver to get any entertainment, sports for the boys etc. Is this town so socluded that kids get into trouble or get lonely. Would anything be walking distance or do u pretty much have to drive everywhere. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:05 AM

650 posts, read 564,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali4nia925 View Post
we've been researching a move to colorado for a few months now. Just came across this town of evergreen. We have 3 boys (6, 4 And 1) and thinking this might be a good place for us. We love the outdoors but don't wanna be too far from the city. I understand that denver is about 20 minutes away. Would we have to travel to Denver to get any entertainment, sports for the boys etc. Is this town so socluded that kids get into trouble or get lonely. Would anything be walking distance or do u pretty much have to drive everywhere. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.
There are many posts available if you do a search on Evergreen. In short Evergreen is a small mountain town which is great for hiking and biking, but has relatively little in the way of shopping or restaurants. Also it's at least a 45min drive to downtown Denver in good weather.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:30 AM

397 posts, read 588,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali4nia925 View Post
I have been living in Evergreen with my husband and three sons since November 2008 after moving from NYC and we love it here. It is proving to be a wonderful place to raise kids. My sons are now 14, 12.5, and 9 years old. There are many recreational and competitive sports teams to choose from right here. You do not have to travel down the hill to be on a sports team, but you do have to travel for games if your children play competitive sports like mine do. Travel can be all over the state and even out of state depending on the level of play.

Evergreen does have everything you need on a daily basis...it is more suburban in that sense than rural. There are national supermarket chains, a Wal-Mart, and Home Depot, hair salons, doctors, dentists, auto body shops, post offices, restaurants, boutiques, galleries, etc. The public schools are highly rated and there are some private options and a public charter (K-8) to choose from as well.

Since the area is mountainous, you do have to drive to most places. It is very dependent on where you wind up living though. My oldest walks to/from his middle school everyday with a bunch of his neighborhood buddies which has been great for the past three years. He does ride his bike to most of his friends' houses. My middle son attends the public charter school and I have to drive him to/from because there is no bus service provided by the school. In North Evergreen, there are neighborhoods within walking distance of shops/supermarkets/restaurants. Again, it is very dependent on where your home is located. Most people do drive on a daily basis for most everything.

If you want a mall, Costco, movie theater, chain restaurants, and other big box stores you will need to head to the metro area.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them. You can send me a DM if you want to.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:20 PM

695 posts, read 801,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
Yep, and I'm sure he will secure a tenant in no time at all. $2300/month in rent is a lot of money to be shelling out and not be building equity though.
my friend told me that the landlord had so many inquires and offers, that it was jacked up to $2,500 a month and leased in a nu yark minute.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 925 times
I have no idea how to use this site, but my husband and I, our 14 year old daughter, and 9 year old son will be moving to the area next year. I would really like to get in touch with someone in a similar situation. Thanks!
Amy

Old 07-07-2015, 08:50 AM

107 posts, read 88,664 times
A friend of mine lives in Evergreen with middle and high school aged kids. She said they complain about feeling "isolated". I love Evergreen and we're considering a move there when it's time to retire, but in my book, you just can't beat all of the amenities that Denver has to offer a family/kids. Sure, you can drive down, but spending two hours in the car just to go to the art museum/zoo/Botanic Gardens/etc for a few hours seems crazy to me. And regarding East High -- it's a great school. Families in my neighborhood, who can afford to send their kids anywhere, choose East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or