Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:34 PM

937 posts, read 743,633 times

Advertisements

We have recently relocated from the east coast, and are thinking about leaving our rental in Broomfield to move to Evergreen this summer. My hubby doesn't like Broomfield, and thinks it feels too much like a generic bedroom community. Our kids would be in middle school and 9th grade, and they play lacrosse. How is Evergreen? Is it a closer knit community? Do the kids get bored and feel confined up there? Or is it a nice place to raise a family especially with older kids? We don't want to buy, but our budget is to rent in the $2500-$3000 range. Do residents especially with families seem to like it up there or do the walls start to feel like they are closing in? Both hubby and I have lived in the mountains before in other parts of the US and in CO so we know what to expect as far as the weather, snow etc. Hubby commutes downtown everyday, but loves to come home to a place with a deck, view, and serene place to relax on the weekend.

We keep debating between the East High area downtown and Evergreen. We can see advantages to both, but I tend to want to raise the kiddos in a smaller mountain town hoping it would it would be laid back and serene with a highly rated school too. I'm hoping it would be a tight knit community with a laid back, outdoorsy, and progressive and/or educated vibe.

Any thoughts from residents or those in the know? Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts on this!!

Last edited by Chloe333; 03-27-2015 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 08:58 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
And this has what to do with a Cincinnati forum? I can't even recognize most of the places being discussed.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:03 PM

908 posts, read 1,418,252 times
I'm pretty sure this belongs in the Denver forum.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:31 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,795,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
I'm pretty sure this belongs in the Denver forum.
You got that right. Hope they wake up and move it.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:09 AM

937 posts, read 743,633 times
Strange! How did my post end up all the way out in Ohio??

Old 03-30-2015, 07:50 PM

403 posts, read 759,407 times
My husband and I are raising our three boys in Evergreen and we love it here. Formerly from the east coast (NYC) we chose to move to Evergreen in 2008 for exactly the things you are seeking for your family. My sons are 14, 12.5, and 9 years old and they play competitive soccer and rugby for teams in Evergreen. In addition, they spend a lot of time mountain biking and skiing. My boys love it up here. We own a house on a private road with 6 acres. The neighborhood kids love to hang out at our house. We have a basketball hoop in the cul-de-sac and a pond that they play ice hockey on during the winters.

My boys would take living in Evergreen any day over suburbia. We head down the hill often enough to go to Rapids games, dinner, movies, etc. that life up here doesn't feel claustrophobic.

Rentals are extremely scarce. Send me a DM if you would like some local sources to find rentals.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:55 PM

450 posts, read 507,675 times
OP - with your budget, why don't you want to buy a home as opposed to renting? (Just curious - you certainly don't have to tell...). My daughter has one more year of elementary school before going in to middle school, but she's luvin' it here in Evergreen! I can certainly understand renting for a year or so just to make sure you like it before buying in any area, but rentals up here are pretty scarce, I think. Good luck to you and your family. If you move here, it sounds like Evergreen is a good choice for you.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:44 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post

We keep debating between the East High area downtown and Evergreen. We can see advantages to both, but I tend to want to raise the kiddos in a smaller mountain town hoping it would it would be laid back and serene with a highly rated school too. I'm hoping it would be a tight knit community with a laid back, outdoorsy, and progressive and/or educated vibe.

Any thoughts from residents or those in the know? Thanks so much in advance for any thoughts on this!!
I felt the same way about living in Westminster, we came all the way out here to be in the mountains only to stop short of actually living in them.
I noticed them every weekend while cutting my grass but they had mostly become a backdrop in my life, since I could only get up there a few times a year.

Moving to Evergreen fix that problem. I think living up here is a blast and enjoy watching the town come alive with day-trippers every summer weekend.
Regarding your High School concern, FWIW, US News rated Evergreen #9 in the state last year.
Go Cougars!
Top Colorado High Schools | Best High Schools | US News - US News

Old 04-02-2015, 12:40 PM

694 posts, read 1,039,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
My husband and I are raising our three boys in Evergreen and we love it here. Formerly from the east coast (NYC) we chose to move to Evergreen in 2008 for exactly the things you are seeking for your family. My sons are 14, 12.5, and 9 years old and they play competitive soccer and rugby for teams in Evergreen. In addition, they spend a lot of time mountain biking and skiing. My boys love it up here. We own a house on a private road with 6 acres. The neighborhood kids love to hang out at our house. We have a basketball hoop in the cul-de-sac and a pond that they play ice hockey on during the winters.

My boys would take living in Evergreen any day over suburbia. We head down the hill often enough to go to Rapids games, dinner, movies, etc. that life up here doesn't feel claustrophobic.

Rentals are extremely scarce. Send me a DM if you would like some local sources to find rentals.
A friend was renting a house in Evergreen at $1900 a month. He just bought a place and moved out. The landlord now has the place listed for $2300 a month.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:28 PM

403 posts, read 759,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
A friend was renting a house in Evergreen at $1900 a month. He just bought a place and moved out. The landlord now has the place listed for $2300 a month.

Yep, and I'm sure he will secure a tenant in no time at all. $2300/month in rent is a lot of money to be shelling out and not be building equity though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver