Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 09:52 PM

403 posts, read 759,631 times

Advertisements

Evergreen is definitely a slower pace compared to the east coast. I'm originally from NYC so that's how I'm comparing things. It's not so slow though that you get bored. Plus access to Denver and the ski resorts is pretty easy when you want to seek out those options.

I live in Evergreen with my family of 5 and it's proved to be a wonderful place to raise a family where you can have elbow room between neighbors, but still be connected to the community. My kids have been enrolled in the public schools here since 2008 and we've been pretty happy overall with the education they are receiving. I do think the excessive standardized testing is a bit ridiculous, but I think that's pretty common in any public school.

The weather is beautiful most of the time and the lack of mosquitoes is most welcoming. Another plus is that there is no need for air conditioning, so the indoor/outdoor living is wonderful. Endless hiking, biking, and outdoor activities. Plenty of recreational or competitive sports teams and extracurricular activities for the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 07:07 AM

103 posts, read 464,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliern View Post
Evergreen is definitely a slower pace compared to the east coast. I'm originally from NYC so that's how I'm comparing things. It's not so slow though that you get bored. Plus access to Denver and the ski resorts is pretty easy when you want to seek out those options.

I live in Evergreen with my family of 5 and it's proved to be a wonderful place to raise a family where you can have elbow room between neighbors, but still be connected to the community. My kids have been enrolled in the public schools here since 2008 and we've been pretty happy overall with the education they are receiving. I do think the excessive standardized testing is a bit ridiculous, but I think that's pretty common in any public school.

The weather is beautiful most of the time and the lack of mosquitoes is most welcoming. Another plus is that there is no need for air conditioning, so the indoor/outdoor living is wonderful. Endless hiking, biking, and outdoor activities. Plenty of recreational or competitive sports teams and extracurricular activities for the kids.
wow.

this one might have pushed it over the edge for me.

thanks.

Old 03-29-2015, 08:08 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Not extremely knowledgeable about Denver, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in your relocation. I escaped the pretentious rat-race of NoVA in 2010, and it was the best decision I ever made! I'm now living in Pittsburgh, which despite its horrendous weather has proven itself to be a great fit for me because I can afford a "Sex and the City" lifestyle in my $700/month apartment near Downtown on a middle-class salary whereas I was paying $1,300/month for a crap apartment out in the suburban boonies of Fairfax County.

I'll never understand the allure of Northern Virginia. It's like every other suburban area in the country---at a much higher price tag, with less architectural character, and with people who feel the need to "prove themselves".

Old 03-29-2015, 08:17 AM

17 posts, read 19,520 times
Hello,

I was born & raised in Northern Virginia (Falls Church, Burke) and lived in Denver for 6 years (left in Dec 2012), so I can provide you with some good perspective. I actually was considering moving back recently, but picked Seattle for greater professional upward mobility. From the criteria you stated, I think NOVA to Denver would be a wise choice.

- Traffic will generally be much better. How much better depends on the direction you go. I used to live in LoDo and commute to Lakewood/Golden for work, it took me 15 minutes on 25-S and 6-W. Much better than NOVA, where my general rule of thumb was 30+ minutes for anything. Public transit is nowhere near the quantity/quality of NOVA/DC, but is making nice progress.
- Housing costs are better, but the trailing 6 quarter housing price growth index is significantly higher in Denver than in NOVA. I'd look to Golden, Westminster or Wheat Ridge for the best bang for buck, depending on where you work. Avoid the Highlands area...ridiculous now.
- Weather is infinitely better...yeah it's dryer and it snows more, but the sun and better plowing helps
- Attitude in general is much more laid back. Two companies I worked for (one publicly traded, one startup) let us take off work for powder days, had summer hours, 40-hour work weeks, etc. Obviously, depends on who you work for (don't expect that at DISH), but that was my experience. Also applies to the people in general, whether it was neighbors or people you met out and about.
- Schools in general aren't going to compare to NOVA, which to be fair are the best public schools in the nation with a top 3 magnet school in TJ. I didn't pay attention this much in Denver because I'm not expecting my first child until later this year, but something to keep in mind. Still, I've heard they're decent.
- The non-housing stuff in terms of cost is going to be lower (eating out, having a beer, groceries, etc.). I didn't really notice how expensive this stuff was in NOVA until I interviewed with a company there recently.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:26 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eearhart View Post
I get that Denver is growing, but I can't imagine that the COL, traffic, people, attitude, life, stress-level, general pace of life, etc. is the same as in the DC metro. I'm tellin' ya, we've been here for 11 years and it's pretty rough. That said, there are lots of threads on the good old DC-Denver debate

I'm a Colorado native and have lived in the DC area as well as Florida.

YES Denver is becoming DC. The traffic is bad because everyone is moving here and our roads can't handle it...we have a light rail system but nothing compared to the Metro.

However, the weather can't be beat (I do not miss humidity). COL is high but not as high as DC..

Come out for a week and check things out...it's not for everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver