U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2015, 10:10 AM

898 posts, read 992,673 times

Advertisements

Lafleur, you have some (very minor) issues friend. Life ain't easy, never was and never will be. An attitude adjustment will go a long way towards avoiding a miserable life.

You sound like a very intelligent person, albeit a bit defensive and stubborn. Life will only get harder not easier. I am only 29, and don't know much more than you, but I am quickly learning that much.

Maybe take a break from this forum? Most people are broke in their 20s unless mommy and daddy got money (mine don't so I feel your frustration). You are doing smart things for your future so that you aren't broke in your 30s and 40s but it won't get easier. Just keep ahead of the game and do what you can to make more money and save more money, given the deck of cards life handed you.

good luck, but do try to chill bc you know as well as I do life is too short to be pissed off and miserable.

Last edited by ayoitzrimz; 04-02-2015 at 10:37 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 10:13 AM

12,287 posts, read 8,094,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
This is why I can't stand this forum, or the general public at that.

When people don't have anything valid or intelligent to contribute, they make broad hyperbolic generalizations to tear down those who disagree with them. And people slap them on the back and give praise, like they've actually made a good point. I-D-10-T5 error, right? Frickin' Sheeple...

And btw, you couldn't hold a ****ing candle to what I've accomplished, on my own, in 29 years. So go kick rocks, homie.
Wow, did I touch a nerve? Someone must have called you a millennial recently.

I could care less what you have accomplished in 29 years. More power to you. It is obvious that it is very important for you to point out that you are successful and that people need know it. Do you like your ego stroked?

Old 04-02-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Lafleur, you have some (very minor) issues friend. Life ain't easy, never was and never will be. An attitude adjustment will go a long way towards avoiding a miserable life.

You sound like a very intelligent person, albeit a bit defensive and stubborn. Life will not change, it will only get harder not easier. I am only 29, and don't know much more than you, but I am quickly learning that much.

Maybe take a break from this forum? Most people are broke in their 20s unless mommy and daddy got money (mine don't so I feel your frustration). You are doing smart things for your future so that you aren't broke in your 30s and 40s but it won't get easier. Just keep ahead of the game and do what you can to make more money and save more money, given the deck of cards life handed you.

good luck, but do try to chill bc you know as well as I do life is too short to be pissed off and miserable.
Well said.

I lived in San Diego and had roommates up until I was 28. Then I moved here and my career took off. That being said my life doesn't revolve around my career. My career supports my lifestyle though. I now live in the "burbs" with my family and my dogs. When I was your age I wouldn't have never imagined I would be where I am at now.

Some people make lots of money and some people don't. It is easy to understand as that.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:21 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,807,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Wow, did I touch a nerve? Someone must have called you a millennial recently.

I could care less what you have accomplished in 29 years. More power to you. It is obvious that it is very important for you to point out that you are successful and that people need know it. Do you like your ego stroked?
No, it's very important to me not to be mislabeled as something I'm not (i.e. spoiled, entitled, Millennial). It's a gross misrepresentation of who I am and you're trying to belittle me to make me look like I'm something bad. It's the go-to insult on this forum for older people, such as yourself.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
No, it's very important to me not to be mislabeled as something I'm not (i.e. spoiled, entitled, Millennial). It's a gross misrepresentation of who I am and you're trying to belittle me to make me look like I'm something bad. It's the go-to insult on this forum for older people, such as yourself.
Well, if you knew the millennials I work with you would understand why I said it. It is amazing how different their work ethic is compared to the older work force here in the office. Of course there are the exceptions and I am sure from what I have read that you are the exception when it comes to labeling your generation. It was not meant as insult but more of a label. Just keep working hard and people will disregard the label.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:30 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,807,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Well, if you knew the millennials I work with you would understand why I said it. It is amazing how different their work ethic is compared to the older work force here in the office. Of course there are the exceptions and I am sure from what I have read that you are the exception when it comes to labeling your generation. It was not meant as insult but more of a label. Just keep working hard and people will disregard the label.
This is nothing new. Every older generation has said the same exact thing about the generation after it.

At any rate, your apology is accepted. I'm done here.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:50 AM

242 posts, read 288,560 times
[quote=Lafleur;39060273]I'm not blaming you or anybody else for my "shortcomings". Point out where I blamed any of you for my predicament. Please, Please, Please do that for me!!!!

All I have done is remarked at the high COL in this area and how it is strainful for younger people starting out. That is it!!!!

I think I make a good salary, at just north of $60k in a given year. quote]

Saying we have no clue about what you are experiencing, to me, is a shortcoming. You may not see it yourself but your post is a wallow in self-pity....as if no one else has faced the SAME struggles. Sorry...it isn't uncommon for folks to struggle here or to realize that the COL is much higher than Podunk. We stole TP from our employer and ate peanut butter sandwiches for months when we first moved here.

FWIW...I've been in the job arena in CO for over 30 years and have never made 60K annually. LOL. Yet...we have made it...and we are retiring in our mid-50's. It's ALL about putting in the TIME....which you have NOT done...so it's no surprise here you are struggling...just as we did! What did you expect?

Again...it's about the duration. You (and the rest of the millennials/etc) simply haven't put in the time
required to make it all jive. Once you do that you will be in a far different place than you are now.

good luck

Old 04-04-2015, 06:40 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,974,059 times
Wow this thread got off topic...

Anyways, Denver missed its opportunity over 100 years ago. This article is nothing more than half baked delusions.

"Denver is missing its last opportunity to become a world-class, 21st Century city. It’s choosing, instead, to be an average, 20th Century American city, and that means we all lose out on something special."
LOL...give me what this guy is smoking. It has zero chance of becoming a world-class 21st Century city. It's a homey, mid sized city halfway between Chicago and the West Coast that has huge importance for the region with Type B mentality, which is probably why I feel awkward as hell here.

"Rents are soaring (just this year mine increased 15%) and the housing market is a shark tank in which first-time buyers are the chum. We applaud our city for its popularity, and its continued success while most of the country stagnates in slumping markets… but we shouldn’t."
This is a case of high demand, low supply for the housing which rises prices and a large pool of qualified applicants which keeps wages down because it is a very pro employer situation. They have the ability to low ball because it isn't a big deal if you say no.

"Imagine the great cities of the world. New York, London, Paris, Amsterdam… What do these cities have in common? What makes them great? Public transportation. Density and diversity. A respect and passion for creativity and the arts. Walkable neighborhoods packed with characters, local stores and local venues. Personality. "
Um...New York is an international co-capital of a bunch of industries and the world capital (The UN). London is the other international co-capital of a bunch of industries and the capital of the UK. Paris is the capital of France and the arts capital of the world. Amsterdam is a cultural and banking center of Europe. Denver is not even close to any of these cities. All it has are some micro brews and an omelette. It should focus on catching up to Phoenix and Dallas first.

Those cities also have a pulse, a grittiness, and an energetic vibe to them. Denver is sprawl and strip malls. It is vanilla and has the excitement of paint drying. Comparing these great cities to a cowtown turned transient flavor of the week is ridiculous. Denver is more on a Phoenix trajectory than a NYC trajectory...

"Great cities are built on the love and community of their people. Great cities are built on lifelong residents, artists, local businesses and local culture. Great cities embrace the parts of them that aren’t polished, understanding that all that glitters is not gold. "
Which is why as a transient city it will never rise above a 2nd tier national city/regional hub with little if any importance on the international stage. People will come and go without any ties to the area.

"We can plan for a future where cars will be obsolete where people will walk and bike and share their rides."
LOL...the writer needs to stop smoking pot. If the DTC was actually downtown and they increased density for the core out it would be possible, but people are too spread out in the massive sprawl of this area for any of this to be a reality.

"Denver has to be bold enough to reinvent what American cities are like. And it means finding a middle ground between Europe’s best examples and innovative thinking about a future that isn’t here yet."
LOL...

Old 04-06-2015, 09:11 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,292,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
What a waste of electrons.
Not one word about schools.
Not thought provoking, but vomit inducing.
Sort of what I was thinking. The article really told me nothing.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:25 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,292,270 times
Quote:
The median household income in Denver is about $62,000. That doesn't account for individual salaries, which is probably closer to half of that. That's really not a lot of money for this metropolitan.

I know there's a lot of older, relatively wealthy folks who post on this forum in proportion to younger people starting out in life, so I understand how this is difficult to comprehend for many of you because you're at a different point in life. A lot of us younger people are trying to get ahead in life. We're not making our peak salaries (though we might be doing alright), we're possibly not married (no dual incomes), we're trying to pay down student loans, we're trying to establish a nest egg, we're trying to save for a down payment, and we're generally just trying to live life as a typical 20-something. This is difficult to do when the COL keeps increasing each year by 10-20%. I got a 2% raise this year. I mean, c'mon!

In 2008, when I first moved here, Denver was still an affordable city. This was a mere five years ago. I used to live in Cap Hill for anywhere between $525-$600/mo. These were not luxurious places by any means, but it was a neighborhood that was accessible to good transit and to jobs downtown. Most of these sames places that I once lived in a few years ago are going for closer to $1000/mo.

The point is, for us younger people trying to get established, the rapidly increasing COL is eating into our disposable incomes that we would otherwise be using to secure ourselves financially for the future like many of our elders suggest. But how can I continue to pay off student loans in a reasonable amount of time, save a nest egg, contribute to 401k and IRAs and HSAs, save for a mortgage before I'm 40, plan for a family, etc., when I'm expected to spend 40-50% of my net income (the money I see) towards increasing rents?

I fell in love with this city in 2008, because I thought it was reasonably priced and had some good things going for it. Now it seems to be transitioning into just about every other trendy, overpriced East/West coast metropolitan where you have to make bank in order to get by rather comfortably. I mean, what options do young people have anymore to get ahead when all the places with jobs cost a fortune to live in?

I know a lot of you won't understand this frustration, because you're in a much different, much better off place in life. But this is what a lot of the younger population is dealing with, and I'm seeing it first hand among my friends and peers.
I moved to Denver right after college in 1994 and rented a room in an old house in Cap Hill for $350 a month. I had student loans, ended up filing bankruptcy, and really had no money. Just eating out was a luxury every few months. I was a dirt poor college graduate living paycheck to paycheck. And so was my partner, who I met back then (now married). We're in our 40s now and have kids and a nice house in Denver, but it took a long time to move up in jobs and make enough money. The one thing that helped was that we moved to L.A. in 1996 and somehow scraped up a down payment to buy a condo in 1999. That condo almost tripled in value in 7 years and we sold it just before the market crashed out there and came back to Denver with a very nice down payment. I'd say luck has a lot to do with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver