U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 08:12 AM

304 posts, read 255,592 times

Advertisements

Denver is such an affordable city now, too....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 08:17 AM

898 posts, read 985,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn0lady View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
1) The poor shouldn't be smoking marijuana. They should be looking for work and trying to break the welfare cycle. Further, why are poor buying marijuana?
Yeah - why should the poor have any pleasure in their lives - you have to be a hard working white guy to have that right?

While we're at it the poor should not be watching TV or drinking beer either - or chocolate - maybe the cheap chocolate but not Ghiradelli chocolate.

How DARE poor people try and enjoy life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post

and my friends call me a bleeding heart liberal . . . . . .
Can't rep you anymore. But I hate this "everyone deserves XYZ" stuff. Everyone deserves what they can afford - nothing more and nothing less (barring a real physical disability of course). I am all for legalization so we disagree on that but people should be drinking and smoking pot ON THEIR OWN DIME. If you are considered poor, I will assume you get some sort of government assistance. Again, only if you are on government assistance - If you are making little money but are on your own this doesn't apply. You shouldn't use taxpayer's money for drugs and alcohol. Sorry, that's my opinion. But, I have no solutions and understand that lawmakers' jobs are hard - for these reasons. Use your own money on whatever you want - wipe you ass with it for all I care - but if you are on any form of government assistance you should focus you funds and your time on getting off of government assistance.

So without any solutions, I am offering my unsolicited opinion

Last edited by ayoitzrimz; 04-09-2015 at 08:32 AM..

Old 04-09-2015, 10:24 AM

2,181 posts, read 5,608,653 times
I don't think I'm "fed up" with the legalization of marijuana, but I find MJ use to be annoying. I see it and smell it every day (I live in SE Denver and work downtown) and I can't stand the smell. In fact, the other day, I went out to my truck and there was a mostly empty bag of marijuana and a lighter on the sidewalk next to my truck, which I promptly threw in the trash. I know I've mentioned this before, but I find it funny that people in general seem to be so anti-cigarette smoke and/or anti-cigarette, yet marijuana is apparently acceptable.

I've been annoyed with MJ for awhile prior to legalization. I was always bothered my medical marijuana simply because the process to obtain a card was (is?) such a joke --- ooh ooh "doctor on site!" at the dispensary. I think people who are sick and need it for medical reasons should have access to it, however, I have friends and acquaintances who faked issues such as chronic back pain or chronic headaches to get cards, even though they were lying.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:48 AM

370 posts, read 393,949 times
I lived in a complex with someone right below me who liked to smoke the worst weed -- clearly super low grade. And he started at 8AM and continued well into the night. I could smell it because of the interconnected vents in the apartments, though the vents didn't actually seem to do anything -- they weren't for heating or A/C.

Went to ACE. Spent $10 on magnetic vent covers and little strong magnets to hold them on. Problem solved.

He also liked to blast Gloria Estefan at 3AM. THAT was a lot harder to take, and I was happy when he was evicted.

I'm definitely pro legalization, though I don't use myself. What's the point in sending someone to jail or ruining their lives over a pretty mild drug with some benefits?

As for the smell...I live in a city with millions of other people and have spent most of my life in apartment complexes. Which means I have to smell lots of things I don't really like. Pot, car exhaust, other peoples cooking, body odor, farts, cigarette smoke (though I am a smoker myself, but I try to be somewhat considerate). It's a price you pay to live in society, and overall life expectancies and health keep mostly trending upwards, so it can't be hurting us all that much.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:30 PM

81 posts, read 64,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_66 View Post
At first I was pleased to see Colorado be very progressive with marijuana by legalizing it.
Is anyone else fed up with this as well? Is this the Denver we really want to live in?
I understand what you mean. I personally support marijuana being legal but I see where you're coming from about people creating problems for others when they smoke. Perhaps Colorado should keep it legal, but encourage "smoking only" areas where people can smoke freely, but not create a negative externality on those who don't. Much like it's frowned upon to walk around in public with alcohol, they could consider making similar rules for weed; This way people could still smoke, but not make it a pain in the arse for those who don't.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:45 PM

176 posts, read 126,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_66 View Post
I see people in our crowded main streets and highways toking up with no regard for their own safety or others in traffic.
That's unusual - I'm gonna assume that driving with under the influence of a drug is still a crime right?

Quote:
Denver was a place that I really loved and enjoyed living in up until recently. This once great city has become a druggy, dingy, dirty, and increasingly unfriendly place to live in. I know a number of folks that are packing up and moving out of state for these reasons. I can't say that I blame them.

Is anyone else fed up with this as well? Is this the Denver we really want to live in?
Much as I understand your annoyances I can't agree that making it illegal again is the best bet; a lot of the same complaints can be make about smoking; a couple of the local bars I used to go are filled with second-hand smoke and this turns off a lot of the patrons, but making smoking illegal would definitely not be a good call.

Do you think individual neighborhoods or towns could set up their own "pot free" zones?

Old 04-12-2015, 05:48 PM

6,897 posts, read 6,480,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJames30 View Post
I understand what you mean. I personally support marijuana being legal but I see where you're coming from about people creating problems for others when they smoke. Perhaps Colorado should keep it legal, but encourage "smoking only" areas where people can smoke freely, but not create a negative externality on those who don't. Much like it's frowned upon to walk around in public with alcohol, they could consider making similar rules for weed; This way people could still smoke, but not make it a pain in the arse for those who don't.
It is illegal to consume in public.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:12 PM

650 posts, read 562,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
It is illegal to consume in public.
You're correct, but it doesn't seem to be being enforced. Perhaps realistically it can't be enforced , or maybe it's just growing pains. Either way users need to remember that we're setting the example and that Colorado can still blow this opportunity.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:26 PM

4,318 posts, read 1,777,380 times
Colorado Springs the most PROGRESSIVE city in the state has a ban on recreational pot. We all should follow every city and knee shall bend before Colroados greatest ctiy.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:37 PM

6,897 posts, read 6,480,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
You're correct, but it doesn't seem to be being enforced. Perhaps realistically it can't be enforced , or maybe it's just growing pains. Either way users need to remember that we're setting the example and that Colorado can still blow this opportunity.
The conservatives on the board who are anti pot love the argument made against gun control saying that existing regulations need to be enforced before new ones are made.

I think I'll use that one against them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or