Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 12:38 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
Agreed, having a 9 and a 15 year old it is not going to take them long to figure out what the dispensaries are and exactly what is going on when they smell it. I treat weed and other drugs the same way I do about sex, I tell them as much of the truth as they can handle, both the good and the bad, the way I personally feel about both, and what I expect from them and the reaction I would like from each of them. If you start educating them now and do not depend on other kids, tvs, or the schools to teach them than they will understand at least how you feel about them, the things that are available and how you expect them to act, and the good and bad that you see with it before other influences make up their mind for them.
Agree. Better to have an honest explanation from parents rather than leading a sheltered life and not knowing how to deal with life's realities when your kids inevitably run across them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 11:01 AM

694 posts, read 1,039,455 times
I don't believe in legalized pot. However, I don't believe in jail sentences either for a few joints, only for major trafficking.

I believe there should be stiff fines, community service, expensive court costs and fines, and probation. If a person violates probation, then one chance to get back in compliance. On the second violation, a week or two in county jail with work release if they have a job.

Old 04-05-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
I don't believe in legalized pot. However, I don't believe in jail sentences either for a few joints, only for major trafficking.

I believe there should be stiff fines, community service, expensive court costs and fines, and probation. If a person violates probation, then one chance to get back in compliance. On the second violation, a week or two in county jail with work release if they have a job.
Stiff fines unfairly penalize the poor. There should be equity in the system. People with money can easily pay the fines, while the poor end up saddled with a debt they cannot afford to pay and end up getting their cars repossessed, losing their jobs, stuck with payment plans where they are paying multiple times the original fine and finally in jail for non payment.

Your "week or two in jail" will often force these people to lose their jobs and ends up costing our society far more.

There is no reason we should be fining people for drug use. None at all.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:25 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
The only problem I have with the stores is explaining what they are to my daughter. She is 7 and has lots of questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
How do you explain liquor stores to her?
Yep, although liquor stores are a much more present part of my kid's life since I do purchase and consume alcohol, and I don't use pot. All in favor of the legalization, just not a fan of smoking anything and I haven't been motivated enough to purchase an edible. Maybe some day. In any case, my son has been in plenty of liquor stores with me, and has watched me drink. At almost 11, he even had some wine this weekend at the Passover seder - customary in our family to let the kids try wine if they want. He didn't like it.

He knows what pot is and that it is legal and that adults in our state are free to use it, but not kids.

I guess I need to have a discussion about why I would not let him try it even though I was ok with him trying wine but probably the fact that I don't personally use it is enough to stave that conversation off for a while.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:13 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
I'm just going to leave this here:

Denver Cannabis Cup

Old 04-05-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Stiff fines unfairly penalize the poor. There should be equity in the system. People with money can easily pay the fines, while the poor end up saddled with a debt they cannot afford to pay and end up getting their cars repossessed, losing their jobs, stuck with payment plans where they are paying multiple times the original fine and finally in jail for non payment.

Your "week or two in jail" will often force these people to lose their jobs and ends up costing our society far more.

There is no reason we should be fining people for drug use. None at all.
1) The poor shouldn't be smoking marijuana. They should be looking for work and trying to break the welfare cycle. Further, why are poor buying marijuana?

2) Payment plans only require an administrative fee as part of the payment plan and then low monthly payments.

3) Work release allows people to leave the jail to work. The courts encourage work release and the jail staffs are more than happy to accommodate inmates cleared for work release.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:26 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEvergreen View Post
I don't smoke pot, but support the legalization. One thing concerns me (and I'm about to find out how it is handled): We just purchased tickets to a concert at Red Rocks Amphitheater. The artist is very young and appeals to kids as well as adults.
Smoking cigs is only allowed in designated areas at Red Rocks. Shouldn't pot smokers be expected to follow the same rules? Every concert I have ever attended in the past demanded that cig smokers put it out or go to a designated area (while the guys next to them continued to smoke their pot and security ignored them)...
I'm bringing young kids to this concert. I don't want for us to sit next to the offenders. We shall see...
I understand your concern bringing young kids to a concert.
I've been attending concerts @ Red Rocks for 20+ years and there is ALWAYS pot being smoked somewhere at every concert I've ever seen.
Yes, they should have to adhere to the same rules that cig smokers do.
You know what is even worse IMO? Drunk people spilling beer and wine on us and talking loudly throughout the event. Haven't had those issues with pot smokers.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDenver View Post
1) The poor shouldn't be smoking marijuana. They should be looking for work and trying to break the welfare cycle. Further, why are poor buying marijuana?

2) Payment plans only require an administrative fee as part of the payment plan and then low monthly payments.

3) Work release allows people to leave the jail to work. The courts encourage work release and the jail staffs are more than happy to accommodate inmates cleared for work release.
1) Please show me a study proving that pot makes people not want to get a job. Also please make a case for me that people with more money should be able to smoke pot, while the working poor should not.

2) CO Cities Illegally Jail Poor People for Failure to Pay Fines - ACLU - Colorado
This goes on all over the place, legally.

Colorado may not allow the fines to be higher, but lots of other states do.

3) When people get saddled with the high fees that you proposed, and end up having to make a choice between making a car payment, rent payment, or court payment, often the car goes. No car, no job. You're the one trying to create a welfare cycle.

A great watch for you. http://youtu.be/0UjpmT5noto

Last edited by SkyDog77; 04-05-2015 at 09:03 PM..

Old 04-05-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
1) Please show me a study proving that pot makes people not want to get a job. Also please make a case for me that people with more money should be able to smoke pot, while the working poor should not.

2) CO Cities Illegally Jail Poor People for Failure to Pay Fines - ACLU - Colorado
This goes on all over the place, legally.

Colorado may not allow the fines to be higher, but lots of other states do.

3) When people get saddled with the high fees that you proposed, and end up having to make a choice between making a car payment, rent payment, or court payment, often the car goes. No car, no job. You're the one trying to create a welfare cycle.

A great watch for you. http://youtu.be/0UjpmT5noto

"Smoke" and mirrors.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:52 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
I've had zero issues with it. Never smell it anywhere, but I work clear out in Lone Tree. If any of my neighbors use it, they must be very discrete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver