Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:01 PM

115 posts, read 226,718 times

Advertisements

I landed here in 1978 after hitching a ride from Nor Cal, this is where I wound up. You were so awesome then, a cool little city that was trying to grow up, the only thing I didn't like was your snow, being from California snow was just something we went to the mountains to play in, you were so affordable, so friendly and no urban sprawl, I stayed here for ten years and after the final two seemingly very long cold winters went back to Nor Cal this time with my family.

Life changed and spouse and I parted ways, I wound up traveling for a couple of years around the country, still always stopping in here for a few months and still always leaving when the snow came. In spite of your snow, I came back again in 1998, quickly found affordable housing in Jefferson county (really would not live anywhere else in the area) and a great job, sadly the company closed it's doors in 2000 and although you had a great unemployment rate then, my new spouse wanted to go to Oregon, he returned here in 2003 and passed away, Oregon's beauty and lack of snow in most places ,(comical when it did snow) kept me there until 2010 when the unemployment rate became much worse, my fiancé passed away and it became unaffordable for a single person.

Fast forward to 2014, I came here once again for the draw of the low unemployment rate and what I remembered as affordability, for love and of course the legalization of pot had it's own draw. Relationship has not worked out, job has not worked out and there are just too damn many pot shops here, it ruins the challenge/fun/ambiance of obtaining pot (for me).

I have given you one more month for me to land a job that will pay my bills as a single minimalist person, you just have not been so kind to me as you have in the past, you are now very crowded, no longer affordable for the average person, don't seem to like my age (over 50 if you do the math) and I have fallen three times in your ice and snow, thankfully without any breakage.

I'm sorry Denver but I think you are not for me any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 07:24 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,791,692 times
Where to next?

Old 04-01-2015, 07:40 PM

450 posts, read 507,302 times
Nope. Denver is not for you from the sounds of it. Good luck out there.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:53 PM

17,704 posts, read 29,786,213 times
Adios

Old 04-01-2015, 09:59 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,184,558 times
Sorry about the loss of your fiance and good luck with finding a new place to settle down.

Here's a handy chart to help avoid that boring legal pot. Legality of cannabis by U.S. jurisdiction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-01-2015, 10:15 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,489,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Where to next?
New Mexico?

Old 04-02-2015, 07:16 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,164 times
That's ok, not everyone can afford to live here. Better luck somewhere else I hope

Old 04-02-2015, 12:23 PM

224 posts, read 559,293 times
How about a job in a pot shop? That might help you with the "ambiance" of obtaining marijuana. Just sayin'.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:52 PM

2,387 posts, read 2,210,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
That's ok, not everyone can afford to live here. Better luck somewhere else I hope
Ironically, this is exactly what I've been saying for the past few days here on a variety of threads and was told I was wrong numerous times. I was saying that Denver has become somewhat of an exclusive area only for relatively wealthy people. People told me I was wrong, that there were affordable places in the area. But after a few days, more and more people started telling me that my salary ($66k) was light and that Denver is, indeed expensive.

I'm guessing one day we'll come to a popular conclusion on what Denver is and what it isn't. To me, it's become (in the last five years or so) a very expensive city that caters more to the affluent than it does to the working class. Personally, if your household income is less than $100k, I would not plan on setting up shop here. And most people here who tell me this is incorrect all make over six figures. So go figure.

Old 04-02-2015, 03:49 PM

115 posts, read 226,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nele View Post
How about a job in a pot shop? That might help you with the "ambiance" of obtaining marijuana. Just sayin'.

That would be ideal, have applied to many and interviewed, always great interviews but always with a much younger person, it seems to be for the younger crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver