U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 04:24 PM
Status: "Celebrating 30 years as a Broker" (set 7 days ago)

10,875 posts, read 29,268,919 times

Advertisements

Cherry Creek Schools are also in the south part of Aurora, and the IB program is available at Smoky Hill, Cherokee Trail & Cherry Creek High Schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 04:35 PM

3,940 posts, read 3,217,880 times
Stapleton is a large development with an engaged parent population that are active in their kids schools, thus the schools are very good. There are other pockets of neighborhoods and developments within DPS like this as well (Wash Park, for instance).

The Cherry Creek School District is also very good. Head to head comparing the various Elementary schools, I can't comment on specifically.

Stapleton is a better commute to Anschutz, 5-10 minutes. Stapleton also has a very centralized location with much better access to the City Center. 10-15 minutes to the zoo/city park. 15 minutes surface streets to downtown etc. On the down side, the parts of Aurora surrounding Stapleton are not so great, and there is some property crime because of that.

The process for how Stapleton does its schools is very unique within DPS, and unlike anything I have ever seen before. School assignments are NOT based on geographic boundaries. Essentially, all kids who live in Stapleton are guaranteed a slot in a Stapleton school (currently, there are 5 Elem schools), but you have to participate in a lottery in the early Spring to get into a school of your choice (or 2nd or 3rd choice). Here is a good thread that describes it in more detail:

Public Schools in Denver Metro

Old 04-14-2015, 04:35 PM

20,783 posts, read 11,527,178 times
Cherry Creek as a district is better overall than Denver Public Schools. But the Stapleton schools are among the best in Denver. And you do have more options in DPS to choose from, especially for middle and high school, if you are looking for that.

But one thing to be aware is that Stapleton has enrollment zones and you have to go through a lottery, so you are not guaranteed your first choice of schools, or a spot at the school that is closest to your home. That's for elementary and middle. We just went through the lottery (I think the second choice lottery is still active, actually) and I'm not sure how they handle a child who moves into the district after that is closed. You may want to contact the School of Choice office in Denver Public Schools to ask about that, and see if that is a factor in your decision.

But I do think that there is a lot to be said about the 5-15 minute commute you could have (depending on where in Stapleton you live) vs. a much longer commute to Greenwood Village.

Old 04-14-2015, 04:42 PM

3,940 posts, read 3,217,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

But one thing to be aware is that Stapleton has enrollment zones and you have to go through a lottery, so you are not guaranteed your first choice of schools, or a spot at the school that is closest to your home. That's for elementary and middle. We just went through the lottery (I think the second choice lottery is still active, actually) and I'm not sure how they handle a child who moves into the district after that is closed. You may want to contact the School of Choice office in Denver Public Schools to ask about that, and see if that is a factor in your decision.
I called the new district where I will be in Houston and asked them "If I move into X school's boundary, am I guaranteed a spot there? Are school assignments based on the geographic boundary of the particular house?". They were like "Umm, yeah, dummy, how else would it be done?". Then I described Stapleton and that I wanted to verify that they did not do it that way and they basically said "That makes no sense. Calm down, crazy lady, your kid will get into their zoned school." I think some of the aspects of Stapleton's system offer a lot of benefits and flexibility, though.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I called the new district where I will be in Houston and asked them "If I move into X school's boundary, am I guaranteed a spot there? Are school assignments based on the geographic boundary of the particular house?". They were like "Umm, yeah, dummy, how else would it be done?". Then I described Stapleton and that I wanted to verify that they did not do it that way and they basically said "That makes no sense. Calm down, crazy lady, your kid will get into their zoned school." I think some of the aspects of Stapleton's system offer a lot of benefits and flexibility, though.

Ha, very funny! We do have a weird little world here when it comes to this.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:15 AM

918 posts, read 981,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I get the rational for the zone system in Stapleton due to the rapid growth of the neighborhoods and trying to accommodate all of the kids. I don't understand the placement of the schools with only one elementary/middle school of the north side of I-70 and no more planned. Pretty much all future growth in Stapleton will occur in the northern portion and I can't fathom it being served by this one school, or parents accepting driving their kids down to the schools of the south side.

When growth in Stapleton slows down and they start to establish geographic boundaries for the schools it's going to be an absolute nightmare as the residents fight to establish the boundaries. If the boundaries are redefined to include further portions of Northeast Park Hill and even *gasp* Montbello it's going to be even worse.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I get the rational for the zone system in Stapleton due to the rapid growth of the neighborhoods and trying to accommodate all of the kids. I don't understand the placement of the schools with only one elementary/middle school of the north side of I-70 and no more planned. Pretty much all future growth in Stapleton will occur in the northern portion and I can't fathom it being served by this one school, or parents accepting driving their kids down to the schools of the south side.

When growth in Stapleton slows down and they start to establish geographic boundaries for the schools it's going to be an absolute nightmare as the residents fight to establish the boundaries. If the boundaries are redefined to include further portions of Northeast Park Hill and even *gasp* Montbello it's going to be even worse.
I don't think this is completely accurate. For instance, I believe that DSST Conservatory Green will be adding a high school, so that's an additional school north of I-70. I do not know if they will eventually be adding an elementary school in Willow Park East but I would assume that would be an option if the numbers supported it.

I'm also not sure that geographic boundaries within Stapleton will ever be established. Although I have heard that the rapid growth and inability to keep the boundaries current was a reason for having the zone, I have also now heard that there was actually very strong community preference for keeping Stapleton as a choice zone and not assign homes to the geographically closest school. So it may be a community cultural decision that leaves the choice process in place.

My personal vote would be to increase the amount of seats that are reserved for a geographic preference- meaning the families in houses that are the closest to each school. My understanding is that as of now, it's only 25%, but I could be mistaken. I'd like to see that percentage increased, so that families have a little bit higher chance of getting into the closest school. But to still leave the choice process for those who want to select the school that they feel is a better fit for their child.

And for the record, the geographic preference is only applicable to elementary schools, all of which are housed in and draw solely from Stapleton residents as far as being zoned for the area. They do also participate in the district wide choice process although there were limited seats available to non-zone residents.

For middle school, there is no geographic preference. So the Park Hill families that were disgruntled because they didn't get into McAuliffe were in fact on a level playing field with all the families in the enrollment zone. Since that was the most popular middle school, many families all over the zone were disappointed.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:21 AM

918 posts, read 981,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't think this is completely accurate. For instance, I believe that DSST Conservatory Green will be adding a high school, so that's an additional school north of I-70. I do not know if they will eventually be adding an elementary school in Willow Park East but I would assume that would be an option if the numbers supported it.
My main concern is with the elementary schools as that is where the crunch on the north side is. You've got one elementary school for Conservatory Green, Willow Park East and the other three to four neighborhoods that will eventually be up there. I don't think that the one elementary school is enough and DPS has said that, as of now, there are no other elementary schools planned either in Willow Park East of for the Section 10 GDP.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:07 PM

52 posts, read 60,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Univ of Colorado medical center in Aurora.
AKA CU Med Center and not UC Medical Center
Many newbies to the are make the mistake of the thinking University of Colorado = UC. It is CU.
Same with DU for University of Denver.
That said, my email address ends in ucdenver.edu, not cudenver.edu. (The CU system folks do have cu.edu emails.)

Anyway, with regard to the OP's question I must put forth another vote for Stapleton. One of my reasons for choosing it is the school quality, and although the choice system is weird one's kid is still guaranteed a spot in one of the Stapleton schools. Choosing Stapleton for school quality is a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts, as others who have moved here have done so for similar reasons.

Plus there's the Highly Gifted and Talented system as an option, if applicable, although Aurora/Cherry Creek has a similar system as well.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:50 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,033,604 times
Hi, we're in Greenwood Village and commute to the medical campus. I had the same thought as you initially and put my little ones in pretty much the top elementary school in CCSD. It's very cliquey and you can't compete with the SAHMs with rich husbands. We finally moved the kids to Challenge School, it's basically a gifted and talented magnet school for the district. There the kids are just there to learn and thrive, without the pressures of who's richer or whose parents can volunteer more during the day. Luckily, the Challenge School is on the way from GWV to Anschultz. You get on 225 from DTC, exit at Mississippi, drop the kids off, then head up to the campus. We have lots of friends in Stapleton, and the opinions range from glowing to dismal, so you might need to dig deeper and see what exactly will fit your needs. The builds and surrounding areas are totally different between GWV and Stapleton so maybe you'll like one area better than the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or