Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,627 times

Advertisements

Me and my fiance and another married couple are planning to move from DC to Denver this June or July. We have a another friend who will probably also join us. We want to live together within a four mile radius of lodo. I've been searching on padmapper and I've seen some promising three bedroom houses that fit the bill, but I'm unsure of how to present myself to the owner as none of us have jobs lined up, although one of us will be a PhD student at University of Denver. For context, my and my fiance currently live with six other people, so we're excited about the prospect of living with three friends in a new city, this isn't just a money saving extreme measure sort of thing.

I know we shouldn't move without jobs, but I'm currently waitressing and know I can get a waitressing job in Denver and we have some savings so we're not worried about the first few months rent at least and with all five us we can afford to pay up to $3,000 a month total.

My fiance and I are considering moving out to Denver first and finding a student sublease for July and using that time to find jobs and look into more permanent housing. Hopefully we will have found something by the end of July as our friends will definitely need to have a place before the beginning of August when classes start.

Any advice on short term housing options other then craigslist? Also would appreciate any insight into how much of an obstacle not having a job will be in getting an apartment or house. Also is our price range reasonable?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 11:09 PM

24 posts, read 29,370 times
Crazy how many ppl have the dream of getting there. #1 city lol. We should chip in for cost savings and then split up and or purchase sooner than later. They say housing is 10% over asking, and, 10% appreciation per year. Maybe I can stay in touch as I can't really move for at least 6 months. But would like to hear about your service industry job hunting exploits, mkt, nightly tips etc. to get a feel for what I'm getting into. Headed for fine dining-ruths chris or elways per say, but not afraid of volume if moolah is there. Good LucK!

Old 04-17-2015, 12:08 PM

126 posts, read 145,522 times
With the rental market so tight, not having a job will be a problem. Also, having so many unrelated people living together in a single family home is a "Common Code Violation" in Denver, so landlords (at least those who follow the law) will deny your application. You could leave all of the others off of the lease, but sooner or later your neighbors will report you to the city.

Your best bet would be to find student housing for the two of you through DU. Unfortunately, in this rental market it's every man for himself.

Good luck!

Old 04-20-2015, 11:51 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,890 times
This is from Denver's website:

Quote:
Too many unrelated people
Any number of persons related by blood, marriage or adoption may live together in a single-family residence. In a single unit zone district, two unrelated persons per household are allowed, and with a home occupation permit, an additional unrelated person is allowed. In a multi-unit zone district, four unrelated persons per household are allowed, and with a home occupation permit, two additional unrelated persons are allowed.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:36 PM

207 posts, read 481,084 times
As winter comes to a close, the tight Denver rental market seems to have dialed up the crazy.

The statistics show a 12.7% increase in the last year. Top 10 Rent Growth Markets of Febrary | Multifamily Executive Magazine | Rents, Rent Trends, Management, Revenue Management, Effective Rents, San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA, Denver-Aurora, CO, San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA, Sacramento-Arden-A

We've recently seen double that in our niche, which is 420 and pet-friendly small homes.

We are reluctant to rent to large groups of roommates, mainly because the situation rarely lasts more than a year. The City never acts on, say, 4 or 5 unrelated people living together unless there are complaints from the neighbors. A good lease will say that you must comply with local laws. That means if you are busted for 5 people, it's your problem, not the landlord's. You should be fine because you are married.

Anecdotally, several folks who have dogs and are honest about their intent to "have a grow", say they are absolutely desperate to find a place.

As far as having a job lined up, we don't really care because they offer to pay several months in advance.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:15 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
I'm with Kevin on renting to roommates. I avoid it because roommate situations almost always fall apart. I like the stability of a couple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: