U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:39 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,440,347 times

Advertisements

Is there any particular reason why several of the hotels which have opened near DIA over the past two decades aren't really that close to DIA, with 6-7+ miles being the minimum AFAIK?

Secondly, if you were planning to spend one night at one of the DIA-area hotels upon arriving for a weeklong visit, would renting a car for a few days while utilizing whatever public transit options exist between DIA & downtown be a feasible if somewhat convoluted game plan to minimize travel costs as opposed to just renting a car for the entire week?

Airfares from LAX-DIA are around $170.00 right now for a September visit, so any tps and opinions are more than welcome, since this will be my first visit to your fine city since KIMN ruled in the ratings and 'I Shot The Shrriff' topped the charts waaaayyyy back in 1974!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 04:38 PM

4,868 posts, read 9,603,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post

Secondly, if you were planning to spend one night at one of the DIA-area hotels upon arriving for a weeklong visit, would renting a car for a few days while utilizing whatever public transit options exist between DIA & downtown be a feasible if somewhat convoluted game plan to minimize travel costs as opposed to just renting a car for the entire week?
Could you clarify this, please? It looks like you are planning to spend one night at a hotel near DIA and go to downtown Denver. Where else will you be staying for the rest of your week-long visit?

It would be cheaper to rent a car somewhere off-site from DIA. The companies need to charge an airport fee.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:57 PM

My tentative plan would be to fly into DIA in the evening after getting off work, spend one night in or near a suburb such as Aurora where I would rent a car, and spend at least a couple of nights in or near downtown in a place such ad the Comfort Inn on 18th Street or either of the Hampton Inns downtown.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:53 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,526,015 times
Quote:
Is there any particular reason why several of the hotels which have opened near DIA over the past two decades aren't really that close to DIA, with 6-7+ miles being the minimum AFAIK?
!!
I dont *know* this, but I think it can be resonably deduced that when the airport was built it was, and still is, in the middle of nowhere, and the general plan was drawn to allow hotel constuction only on the edge of metro Denver. Presuming that the large majority of people would rather be a lttle closer to civilization. unless the hotel is in the airport you would have to take a cab, be it 2 miles or 8 miles from the terminal. I ver much doubt it is the decision of the hotel companies.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:53 PM

13,219 posts, read 24,286,892 times
I wouldn't come here for a visit expecting to rely on the public transit. We aren't Chicago or NYC....yet. I'd rent a car.

There's just barren hills/flats and construction between DIA and the hotels. I've stayed in a couple of them. They're alright. Nothing too notable.

On our scouting trip here in 2006:
night 1: stayed at a motel near the airport
**slept past checkout time**
night 2, stayed at the same motel again
night 3, Motel 6 in Aurora on Iliff
night 4, semi-fancy hotel in DTC
night 5, Hyatt Regency DTC
night 6, back at a different airport area motel

For some reason, we were too chicken to stay in a downtown hotel back then. Really wish we had. We had smaller minds back then.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:36 PM

13,934 posts, read 20,154,489 times
Quote:
Is there any particular reason why several of the hotels which have opened near DIA over the past two decades aren't really that close to DIA
Land costs.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:19 PM

473 posts, read 692,722 times
Well come November this won't be an issue:

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/westi...language=en_US

Anyway - why not just start at whatever hotel you plan to be at. The airport isn't THAT far away that it would be easier to check in at an "airport" hotel (yes the cluster is 6-7 miles away, but it's a giant piece of property), check out and check in someplace else again the next day. Unless I'm not understanding the question.

If you're staying downtown (and not renting a car) for your trip just Uber it there if late, or take the AF bus if you have more time. If you plan to rent a car for the week for other excursions just rent it and go to whatever hotel you want to be at for the week.

If an outlying hotel is $100 or so cheaper for the night and arriving late that's a good idea, but anything more than that involving shuttles and cars and moving around just sounds like a lot of work for not a lot of savings.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:24 PM

Great suggestions all around---thanks to all of you.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:14 AM

330 posts, read 346,017 times
Quote:
If you look at a map, you'll see that although the hotels on Tower Road are about 7 miles from DEN's Terminal Building, they're only a few miles from the boundaries of the airport property (the Terminal's in the middle - and DEN's total footprint is about 53 square miles).

I believe the hotel locations along Tower Road are because of zoning and available infrastructure (on a major road, zoned for commercial use, and accessible by an interchange from Pena Blvd).

I agree with the comments that unless staying at a hotel out by DEN will save you money, just get yourself downtown - or at least well into Denver - after you land. Last time I noticed, one or two rental car companies have locations very near downtown (approximately the 20th/Broadway area) so you could reserve a car at one of those places.

Have fun!

Old 04-16-2015, 09:32 AM

2,409 posts, read 2,624,250 times
The best thing to do is rent a car from the airport and stay in Denver. You can get a 4-star hotel in the heart of downtown for less than $100/night through Priceline. Renting a car from the airport is cheaper than renting one from downtown if you book through Priceline.

In other words, stick to Priceline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or