U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 01:36 PM

9 posts, read 8,727 times

Advertisements

Hi all, so I've wanted to live in Denver for about two going on three years. I don't plan on moving until next summer but I wanted to get my search started early. A little background I'm currently 20, African-American female, and I live in Montgomery, AL with my mom and brother and I hate it here, I don't feel like I belong here and have outgrown here. I'm planning on moving to Denver after I graduate from college next year.

My budget for rent is $2100 and I want to keep it in that price range, I don't want to live in the suburbs and would generally like to live somewhere downtown or close. What are the best areas for single, young adults?

Any and all advice is welcomed and any tips on moving to a different state by yourself would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 01:51 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,211,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantoutofAlabama View Post
Hi all, so I've wanted to live in Denver for about two going on three years. I don't plan on moving until next summer but I wanted to get my search started early. A little background I'm currently 20, African-American female, and I live in Montgomery, AL with my mom and brother and I hate it here, I don't feel like I belong here and have outgrown here. I'm planning on moving to Denver after I graduate from college next year.

My budget for rent is $2100 and I want to keep it in that price range, I don't want to live in the suburbs and would generally like to live somewhere downtown or close. What are the best areas for single, young adults?

Any and all advice is welcomed and any tips on moving to a different state by yourself would be greatly appreciated.
What do you want to rent? Denver is expensive, but you don't have to spend that much to get a decent one bedroom.

If you want to be in the city, there are many option for new build apartments in urban neighborhoods available. What do you want to be near? Do you know anyone here? Any idea where your job might be?

Old 04-20-2015, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
What do you want to rent? Denver is expensive, but you don't have to spend that much to get a decent one bedroom.

If you want to be in the city, there are many option for new build apartments in urban neighborhoods available. What do you want to be near? Do you know anyone here? Any idea where your job might be?
I would like a one bedroom one bath and a place that accepts dogs. I'm majoring in nursing so I would need to be near a hospital but I don't mind a commute, nothing more than 20 min top. I don't know anyone in Denver I'm moving by myself. Parking is a thing as well I don't want to park on the street, would prefer underground parking or a parking lot if possible.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:03 PM

20,974 posts, read 11,615,689 times
Quote:
I would like a one bedroom one bath and a place that accepts dogs. I'm majoring in nursing so I would need to be near a hospital but I don't mind a commute, nothing more than 20 min top. I don't know anyone in Denver I'm moving by myself. Parking is a thing as well I don't want to park on the street, would prefer underground parking or a parking lot if possible.
There are many hospitals in Denver, so near "a" hospital isn't going to guarantee a 20 minute commute if you are on the opposite side of town. (20 minutes is a pretty short commute around here, for whatever that's worth). You should focus on finding a job and then getting an apartment that works. Your budget is generous and you should be able to find some good options once you can use a job location to help narrow things down.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
There are many hospitals in Denver, so near "a" hospital isn't going to guarantee a 20 minute commute if you are on the opposite side of town. (20 minutes is a pretty short commute around here, for whatever that's worth). You should focus on finding a job and then getting an apartment that works. Your budget is generous and you should be able to find some good options once you can use a job location to help narrow things down.

I actually need the apartment first because I'm going to take six months and study for my NCLEX.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:06 PM

6,903 posts, read 6,494,653 times
Baker, Capital Hill, West Wash Park, Highland, Cherry Creek, Speer, Lodo, West Highland

http://www.law.du.edu/images/uploads...IGHBORHOOD.pdf

1BR/1BA is easy for $2100.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:24 PM

20,974 posts, read 11,615,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Baker, Capital Hill, West Wash Park, Highland, Cherry Creek, Speer, Lodo, West Highland

Those are all nice areas, but depending on what hospital she ends up at, could be a 40 minute commute rather than 20.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Those are all nice areas, but depending on what hospital she ends up at, could be a 40 minute commute rather than 20.
Ideally I would love a short commute, but if I find an apartment that I love and has all the things that I want then I don't mind a longer commute when I do get a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post

I've been looking a lot at Cherry Creek, Speer and Lodo they're at the top of my list, I really like Speer and Cherry Creek. This might be a silly question but what's the average utility cost?

Old 04-20-2015, 03:51 PM

6,903 posts, read 6,494,653 times
Quote:
Sure, but that is true of anywhere in the city and since she said she is going to get the apartment before the job, I just focused on the "My budget for rent is $2100 and I want to keep it in that price range, I don't want to live in the suburbs and would generally like to live somewhere downtown or close. What are the best areas for single, young adults?" part.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:58 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,211,765 times
Quote:
Ideally I would love a short commute, but if I find an apartment that I love and has all the things that I want then I don't mind a longer commute when I do get a job.

I've been looking a lot at Cherry Creek, Speer and Lodo they're at the top of my list, I really like Speer and Cherry Creek. This might be a silly question but what's the average utility cost?
You probably want a newer building for parking. And there are many to choose from.

For a dog, you would probably want to be near green space or a park. Or something in more of a neighborhood setting. I wouldn't want to have a dog in a high rise or extremely urban neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or