U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:21 PM

3 posts, read 1,943 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My boyfriend and I live in Newton, MA (10mins outside of Boston). We're very excited to announce that we're making the move to Colorado! We currently own a dog hiking/training business and we are looking to expand out to the Denver area. We're not looking for a facility currently as our business is primarily on wheels. We are looking to target affluent working families who don't have the time to exercise, socialize or train their dog during the day. We would like to find an area in close proximity to hiking trails and parks that allow dogs off leash (a must) as our business model is focused on dogs being off leash. We're also wondering if there is a market for this kind of company in Colorado. If so, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

From H&A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 07:25 PM

21,827 posts, read 23,056,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear15 View Post
Hello!

My boyfriend and I live in Newton, MA (10mins outside of Boston). We're very excited to announce that we're making the move to Colorado! We currently own a dog hiking/training business and we are looking to expand out to the Denver area. We're not looking for a facility currently as our business is primarily on wheels. We are looking to target affluent working families who don't have the time to exercise, socialize or train their dog during the day. We would like to find an area in close proximity to hiking trails and parks that allow dogs off leash (a must) as our business model is focused on dogs being off leash. We're also wondering if there is a market for this kind of company in Colorado. If so, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

From H&A

Most trails and public parks that I'm aware of have leash laws.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:40 PM

529 posts, read 1,249,165 times
I would say do it in Golden. There are several off leash dog parks close by, but most trails and hiking areas do have leash laws. Golden is right at the base of the mountains and is the best suburb for quick access to good foothills and mountain hiking. I used to take my dogs to Mount Galbraith park in Golden and it's a great place to do so.

Plenty of affluent people with dogs in this area, and people in Colorado love dogs! So it's a great market for your business.

Good Luck!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:49 PM

3 posts, read 1,943 times
Thank you so much! We are actually looking into Golden. Seems like a really nice town to live in as well. We were also curious about the Englewood area?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:20 PM

Golden is very nice, in addition to Hiking and dog parks it has Clear Creek which is a great place to cool off on a hot summer day with your dog.

Englewood is a nice quiet suburb with many dog parks too.

Check out these links
Dog Friendly Hikes Near Denver, Colorado | Day Hikes Near Denver - Explore The Best Hiking in Colorado

englewood-unleashed

Off-Leash Dog Parks in Golden, CO, US

Old 04-22-2015, 10:55 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,484,923 times
The only area I know of that has off leash trails near Denver is Boulder. You have to have Voice and Site tags for the off leash dogs.
https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/voice-and-sight

Colorado Springs also has some off leash trails. I don't think you will find any in the Jeffco open space system which are the trails closest to Englewood.

It is really annoying to hike the off leash dog trails. The dogs run off all the wildlife. That is one of the reasons that most trails require dog leashes. Also don't forget that a dog romping off the trail is more likely to get bit by a rattlesnake.

However if your thinking about allowing the dogs off leash at dog parks then you will be in luck as we have many fabulous ones, some being multi acre with water running through for the dogs to romp in.

In terms of demand I wouldn't think it would be much. People move to CO so they can indulge in their outdoor sports and they tend to have dogs so they can take them along. I've seen advertisements runners who will run your dog, hikers who will take them on hikes and walkers who will walk them. Check out the Craigs list pet services ads.

Here is one of your many competitors.
Boulder Doggie Adventures

Old 04-23-2015, 07:03 AM

898 posts, read 986,777 times
mic111 is always one step ahead of me... but she's quite right. And as for demand I agree - I saw a lot more demand for dog walking / hiking services in NYC and Boston where people are too busy and don't care. People *really* care about their dogs here and include them in their own outdoor activities.

I would like to add Westminster Dog Park City of Westminster > Parks/Rec > Parks > Park Locations > Westminster Hills Off-Leash Dog Park

It is MASSIVE at 420 acres. Coming from NYC where dog parks are what Denverites consider a backyard I was amazed at how large this place is.

Might be a good place to live close to, and its large enough that you can do a whole adventure without running into a single dog (with the exception of the entrance)

But, you know, make sure you can control these dogs - if they run off on you, you might never find them... Just saying, I am sure you have it under control but the park is not FULLY fenced in and all.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:27 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,484,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post

I would like to add Westminster Dog Park City of Westminster > Parks/Rec > Parks > Park Locations > Westminster Hills Off-Leash Dog Park

It is MASSIVE at 420 acres.
I would love to recommend the Westminster dog park because of it's size but unfortunately can't. The 420 acres was put aside because it is too contaminated with the toxic chemical run-off and radioactive spills from Rocky Flats (a former nuclear weapons facility). For larger acreage off leash dog parks in town I would go with Cherry Creek Reservoir and Chatfield Reservoir dog parks.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
I saw a lot more demand for dog walking / hiking services in NYC and Boston where people are too busy and don't care. People *really* care about their dogs here and include them in their own outdoor activities.
That's a good point, but I'd still say Colorado is a good choice for this business.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:57 PM

2,904 posts, read 4,901,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyBear15 View Post
Hello!

Thanks,

From H&A
Boulder. Too many dog nuts in Boulder to shake a stick at. I know because we were somewhat involved with the training and and field/hunt community while there.

If you have somehow missed this in your research, it provides good info on Voice and Sight, leash regulations etc. https://bouldercolorado.gov/osmp/dogs-on-osmp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or