Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:23 AM

371 posts, read 494,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post

Crime: You are downgrading. Metro Denver has actual places (Federal Heights, eg.) where it is dangerous to drive through at night. The worst place in Montana is still the South Side of Billings or Browning at night and even then, you have to go looking for trouble. Denver is a very safe metro but still has double the crime rate that Montana has.
Yes, the crime rate is higher in Denver. Yes, Federal Heights generally sucks. But I've driven through there MANY, MANY times at night on 92nd to get from Arvada/Westminster to where I'm at in Thornton, and had absolutely no issues.

It's a poor area, and an ugly area, but you're not going to get carjacked or murdered if you happen to drive through at night. Just north of there are some very nice areas, and just west of there is Hyland Hills, which is decent.

OP: Find a job first. Then try to find a place not too far from said job. Also, your rental budget is a bit low. You might be able to find some safe, decent places in parts of Lakewood, and parts of Thornton/Northglenn. But the schools won't be that amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 09:40 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Most of Thornton and Northglenn are decent, you will be able to find something that fits your budget. We're not Highlands Ranch or Boulder with a larger selection of housing, but OK for people on a budget. Also, check out Wheat Ridge.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:33 AM

7 posts, read 7,050 times
Wow thanks everyone! This was incredibly helpful

Old 05-19-2015, 10:40 AM

Also, my husband just informed me that I said northeast....I meant northwest. oops... What does this change?

Old 05-19-2015, 11:23 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post

Schools: You are downgrading in school district because the standard SD in Montana is better off than the standard SD in Denver metro. Your rental budget needs to be about 2,500/mo for the poor parts of Cherry Creek SD or Highlands Ranch SD. Denver SD isn't great and has poverty rates on par with MT reservation SD's.
Uh... All of Denver isn't some poverty-ridden ghetto. There are great schools in DPS. My own kids go to one of them Probably the main issue for the OP is that DPS schools reflect the neighborhood they're in, so $1100 wouldn't get you an apartment in the nicer parts of Denver where the good schools are. I think the apartments in Stapleton are closer to $2K for a 2 bdr.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:44 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
A lot actually. There's not actually much of a NE side to Denver or the Denver Metro. Sure, there's Park Hill and Stapleton, etc. but by and large the area east of I-76 and north of I-70 is a very industrial no-man's land. Was he referring to NW Denver proper or areas North and West of Denver?

Either way, it's going to be a pretty startling change from anywhere in Montana....

Old 05-19-2015, 06:18 PM

yea I thought so. I hate it when I do that. We're still fairley open on location. No interest in aurora. The most important thing is safe and good schools. Hell be looking for work in the city so avoiding a huge commute would be good. 30 40 minutes isn't a deal breaker though. I've zeroed in on the broomfield area from my research. Love the idea of being between denver and boulder. Or arvada, westminster, lakewood area, though I'm not sure how schools are there.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:37 PM

36 posts, read 58,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I'm sorry, but if you think there aren't great mountain hikes 45 minutes from Denver (30 minutes or less from the west side), you are completely mistaken. Also, I am at Loveland in under an hour for skiing.

Anthony Bourdain is so wrong on this. Look at the places he tried here. Also look at how long ago that was. Tons of new restaurants are opening every month. The food scene is very good and getting better every month. Especially compared to Montana (and extra especially compared to Oklahoma). Top Chefs Discover Denver's Fast-Growing Restaurant Scene : The Salt : NPR

$2500 is not a minimum to get in to the Cherry Creek District. Rentals are hard to find, but your price point is high.

Airfare is on par with Chicago and Dallas, but I don't recall the OP looking at Chicago or Dallas. Compared to Montana, airfare is much better. Also near impossible to get direct flights out of Montana. I rarely have to take a connecting flight out of Denver and I travel almost every week.
My girlfriend rents a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom in cherry creek school district with her daughter. It's not a palace, but it's spacious and in the desired school district. So it's possible

Old 06-16-2015, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 472 times
I moved here from MT. I'd have to say, I wish I'd stayed. I remember Missoula and Kalispell fondly and would go back in a heartbeat but kids are now settled and I'm used to higher wages. My advice: try to stay in MT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver