Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 01:04 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali4nia925 View Post
For the people that know mountain towns, can someone look up a place near me called pollock pines, Ca. I don't know what to look for in mountain towns so if someone can compare these 2 places and tell me what similarities and major differences are. That would help a lot. We went to visit the town of pollock pines about a month ago and didn't really fall in love with it. These might be 2 different world's but I just don't know If u should be expecting something similar if we were to visit evergreen. Thanks
I don't think so. I've never been to Pollock Pines, but judging from Street View, it looks similar to San Bernardino Mountain towns in So Cal, but with more tree density, in fact, Pollock looks to have more tree density than Evergreen does. Evergreen has more wide open spaces than Pollock appears to, and is much closer to civilization.

I don't know how touristy Pollock is, but Evergreen is not particularly touristy, and it covers a large area and what isn't wild is residential with a few small commercial areas.

Actually, Auburn (if you are in the Sacramento area) might be more comparable to Evergreen (aside from the winters of course).

Old 05-20-2015, 06:50 AM

403 posts, read 759,516 times
From looking at Google Images of Pollock Pines along with their current residential sales, it does not appear to be a direct comparison to Evergreen at all. Maybe Truckee, CA???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 08:30 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
For the people that know mountain towns, can someone look up a place near me called pollock pines, Ca. I don't know what to look for in mountain towns so if someone can compare these 2 places and tell me what similarities and major differences are. That would help a lot. We went to visit the town of pollock pines about a month ago and didn't really fall in love with it. These might be 2 different world's but I just don't know If u should be expecting something similar if we were to visit evergreen. Thanks
United Airlines - Airline Tickets, Travel Deals and Flights on united.com

Old 05-20-2015, 11:13 AM

21 posts, read 42,548 times
Default Re: Evergreen, CO

Thanks for the feedback. So what would be the advantage of living in evergreen over living in Auburn or somewhere similar here on California.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:57 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. So what would be the advantage of living in evergreen over living in Auburn or somewhere similar here on California.
Considerably lower tax burden. It's not California.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:05 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Pollock Pines is somewhat similar to Evergreen, though it more mountain adjacent than mountain and smaller, at least by official in-town population. Gets a tremendous amount of winter precip. though it appears most is rain. It does snow but probably melts off fast usually. Go 5-10 miles further east and the snow probably rapidly increases. Looks like it is about 10 degrees (or more) warmer than Evergreen, highs and lows, winter and summer, being about 4500 feet lower. 11% Latino. Schools may or may not be alright or good but unlikely at Evergreen level. Household income (including unmarried and singles) is about 30% less on average compared to Evergreen. "Family" income, 50% less. Average housing price 50% less. For what you want, it might or might not be a contender depending in part on how important temps and snow staying around are compared to schools, wealth, immediate alpine conditions.

In CA, you might also look at or above Jamestown, Grass Valley or Magalia.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-20-2015 at 01:24 PM..

Old 05-20-2015, 01:11 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:51 PM

After listening to the comments it sounds lik I don't have to go to colorado to find a place like evergreen. It seems like colorado has very good schools and more to offer around evergreen IE denver. It seems like evergreen is a great place to raise a family. Like I said I visited pollock pines and didn't fall in love with that place but again there was nothing for a good 45 minute drive away. Maybe it sounds like I just need a change and get out of California. It seems like way less crime to worry about in evergreen area. I know that I have to visit to get a clear answer but I just wanna gather as much info as possible. Thanks

Old 05-20-2015, 11:19 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
If you want another CO option, check into corridor between Manitou Springs and Woodland Park. Or maybe Roxborough Park or LaPorte / Poudre Park.

Last edited by NW Crow; 05-20-2015 at 11:45 PM..

Old 05-21-2015, 11:40 PM

Also seems like all mountain towns have drug addicts and drug houses. Is evergreen an exception to that or Is there still some of that going on there. The thing that really attracts us is that we would be mountain loving and still only about 30 mins or so away from denver. A couple other places we are looking into here in California, is about an hour away from a major city. This researching is really overwhelming. Since we have 3 boys it would be really expensive to travel and visit colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver