Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:18 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,056 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a long vacation in Denver, and was very impressed. Here's what I liked about the area.

1. The people were very friendly. It felt like we were in a small Midwestern town with the scenic beauty of the mountains.

2. Speaking of the mountains, they are even more breathtaking in person, putting the Southern California mountains to shame. The drive through I-70 is beautiful.

3. Downtown. We stayed in the LoDo area near the Platte River. It was so nice having all the bars, restaurants, and shops close by. The public transporation was very nice as well, especially the free light rail on 16th St. We also went to an Av's game, and I took some pics of Coors Field.

I really liked all of the condos, lofts, and old warehouse buildings. They all blend in nicely with their surroundings. I didn't really like the downtown skyline though, it was kind of bland.

4. The city and suburbs are very clean, and I like all of the light colored brick/limestone material that is used for the modern buildings, restaurants, and bridges. I got the impression that people take good care of their city.

5. Very dog friendly. I couldn't believe how many dogs there were in the LoDo area. Our little dog met so many friends.

6. Lots of tech companies. The whole city felt very eco-friendly and tech savvy. This is one of those cities (and states) that will help drive the new "green" economy.

I would love to live here someday. It has everything I like in a city. My only complaints would be that the landscaping is very brown, which isn't a big deal; and parts of downtown and most of the suburbs are a little too corporate. We didn't visit every neighborhood, but there weren't as many mom & pop stores as I thought there would be. The suburbs are very nice and clean, but kind of feel like giant malls.

Stay classy Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:15 PM
tew

209 posts, read 633,275 times
Have to agree with you about the mountains. Once is a while then the air isn't brown in So Cal you can see the mountains. I do like to see them but when I moved here I was in love with what you see. I can see them from my house and their always there cause the air is always clear. Many times better that CA.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:51 AM

2 posts, read 8,610 times
Colorado is a beautiful place to live. This time of year it is quite brown but not during the spring and summer months. Every area of Colorado, each city, is amazingly different. Aurora couldn't be more different than Lakewood or Cherry Creek vs. Parker. Every area here has a different personality and it's own beauty. When you return be sure to see Red Rocks, visit Mesa Verde, Co Springs.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:57 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I personally like Denver's skyline, and the new skyscrapers will only make it more interesting. I guess the boring part about it is it's a newer skyline, and doesn't have any old Art Deco buildings. Hopefully someone will eventually build more of a "signature" skyscraper that isn't a big box shape. L.A. sufferes from a similar problem with its skyline.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:12 PM

38 posts, read 153,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I personally like Denver's skyline, and the new skyscrapers will only make it more interesting. I guess the boring part about it is it's a newer skyline, and doesn't have any old Art Deco buildings. Hopefully someone will eventually build more of a "signature" skyscraper that isn't a big box shape. L.A. sufferes from a similar problem with its skyline.
In a Denver newb,any info on the new skyscrapers you mentioned?

Old 12-04-2008, 12:05 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,995,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
The skyline felt very 70's to me.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:18 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
I always liked the piled slate buildings, like those found at CU Boulder. Something about them screams Colorado to me.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:52 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froud View Post
To the OP, so glad you liked Denver and came back to give us your comments.

Froud,

Here is the information on the new developments:

Four Seasons Private Residences - Denver :: Landing page

Spire

Live Denver: Spire: Denver's newest high-rise lofts

DENVER | Two Tabor Center | 514 FT / 157 M | 40 FLOORS - SkyscraperPage Forum

Auraria Campus Officials Make Case For New Science Building - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

Denver Justice Center - Welcome Message

Old post but most all still relevant:

DENVER | Downtown high-rise boom - 12+ stories - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 12-05-2008, 02:55 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,087,030 times

Old 12-06-2008, 09:52 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froud View Post
The Spire is close to topping out - I think at 40 or 42 stories. Then the most interesting building will be the 45 story Four Seasons with a spire (see Aztec's pictures above) and hopefully Tabor II will soon begin to rise. Four Seasons is getting close to 20 stories complete, I believe. The skyline is really changing this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver