U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:34 AM

38 posts, read 128,635 times

Advertisements

All,

Some might say why would you want to leave Miami, my answer is I detest the all around heat and humidity, I dont want to raise my daughter in South Florida, congestion due to traffic is horrendous, aside from overpopulation.

"but you have the beaches", my answer, I have lived my 33 years here in Miami and I have done the beach since I was a child with my grandfather.

I fell in love with Parker, where I attended a wedding for a friend who used to live in Miami. The family feel and views are spectacular.

I have been checking the web for homes in Parker area, lots of places I have seen and liked.

Questions:

1) I have NEVER driven in snow or icy conditions, what will I have to know, do, any answers on that will be greatly appreciated.

2) Second and last question for now, since I am of hispanic heritage, I realized that in Denver or surrounding areas there are lots of Mexican restaurants but no cuban restaurants. I was told theres a cuban restaurant someone near downtown Denver but its run my mexicans, thats not authentic. I was thinking of getting a minority loan and try to ope n a small Cuban style restaurant in or around Parker area, would that be a good idea? I know that here in Miami, cuban restaurants are a dime a dozen and many many Anglo-Americans love that cuban food, do any of you know if that would be a good idea?

As questions come to my mind, I will post accordingly

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 10:57 AM

20,923 posts, read 39,228,361 times
1. Driving in snow, see this:
- Driving in the Winter Snow.
After you read this thread, if you still have questions about driving in the snow, make a new post in THAT thread.

2. Cuban restaurant?
- Should do well. I know of a Cuban ex-pat who does music gigs here, I'll get you his contact info and pass it to you via DM.

You're gonna love Colorado.

s/Mike

Old 01-19-2008, 11:03 AM

thanks Mike for the info

Old 01-22-2008, 01:04 PM

140 posts, read 391,136 times
I'm relocating from Orlando to Denver. So please, DO start a Cuban restaurant. Just wouldn't feel like home without one.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:08 PM

87,034 posts, read 102,707,476 times
We could use some more variety around here.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:24 PM

20,923 posts, read 39,228,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomHPD View Post
thanks Mike for the info
Do let us know how you do, and if that contact I provided was useful.
Thanks!
s/Mike

Old 01-22-2008, 03:20 PM

14,174 posts, read 23,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomHPD View Post
All,

1) I have NEVER driven in snow or icy conditions, what will I have to know, do, any answers on that will be greatly appreciated.
Just stay the hell away from me and we'll be ok!

No, just kidding. You'll need to find a nearby parking lot, (preferably empty) the first snow and practice. For the most part, you just take off slower with less gas, slow down more slowly, allow more space to come to a stop (start slowing earlier than normal) and the last thing will take practice. You have to be able to look at what's on the ground and know how your car will handle. For instance, fresh powder really isn't all that slippery. Packed, smooth powder will be a bit more slippery, pure ice is the worst, and then there's "black ice" that looks like wet pavement but is actually very slippery and dangerous. There's also slush (on sunny days when snow is melting) that isn't all that bad to drive in, but a but slicker than just a wet road. Just go slow in the beginning until you feel comfortable.

Oh, and I love Cuban food. Haven't found a Cuban restaurant since moving here from California, but need to find one. We had a family-run/owned one nearby and ate there often.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:21 PM

2,755 posts, read 11,772,449 times
I know of two Cuban places that come to mind: Cuba Cuba (1173 Delaware St in the Golden Triangle) and Samba Room (1460 Larimer on Larimer Square). So, you can get Cuban food here, but there's not a lot of options, and both are downtown.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:18 PM

53 posts, read 156,014 times
Awesome!!!

Another Cuban is willing to venture out of Florida. How cool is that???

Dude, you definetly have to stay in contact with me. I'm planning on moving out of Florida and into Denver in late Feburary to early March. And I'm going to need friends and good ol' home style cooking.

Born in La Habana; actually Cotorro to be exact. Lived in Hialeah most of my life so I know how you feel about the traffic, the congestion, just the all around stressors of life. It's certainly is not what it used to be like in the early 80's, eh???

Sorry about the rant...

So, um...yea, snow sucks to drive in so practice in empty parking lots to get a feel for accelerating a decelerating.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesx7d7 View Post
Awesome!!!

Another Cuban is willing to venture out of Florida. How cool is that???

Dude, you definetly have to stay in contact with me. I'm planning on moving out of Florida and into Denver in late Feburary to early March. And I'm going to need friends and good ol' home style cooking.

Born in La Habana; actually Cotorro to be exact. Lived in Hialeah most of my life so I know how you feel about the traffic, the congestion, just the all around stressors of life. It's certainly is not what it used to be like in the early 80's, eh???

Sorry about the rant...

So, um...yea, snow sucks to drive in so practice in empty parking lots to get a feel for accelerating a decelerating.

Jules, funny, I work in Hialeah now for the police dept, but definately i will shoot u a message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or