Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:04 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,563,300 times

Advertisements

It once was really bad but we have made huge improvements to the air quality in the last 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 11:22 AM

17,680 posts, read 29,620,546 times
Default Water everywhere, Snow everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I was in SLC in January and I was very surprised by the air quality. I had no idea it could get that bad there.
Car emissions + home furnace emissions + WATER VAPOR (from the lake) + mountains to the East = yellow soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I think most people believe we can ski in/ski out of our driveways.
Not true. They think that lifts begin in the parking lot at Mile High ('cause Monday Night Football).

Old 05-21-2015, 12:44 PM

1,422 posts, read 1,920,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Car emissions + home furnace emissions + WATER VAPOR (from the lake) + mountains to the East = yellow soup

Not true. They think that lifts begin in the parking lot at Mile High ('cause Monday Night Football).
Ha! A couple years ago I remember my wife talking to an insurance agent somewhere in the east, and he asked her if we were safe from avalanches in Downtown Denver.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:52 PM

42 posts, read 71,824 times
I think the "Mile High" moniker has a lot to do with it. I grew up spending summers with family in Denver, so I always thought it was funny when people/classmates from back home in NM had the assumption of Denver being "in the mountains."

Albuquerque on the other hand which has the same elevation as Denver is comparatively much closer to being "in the mountains" since a section of our metro is actually called "the east mountains," and the city is actually nestled in a valley between 10,700ft. mountain peaks on one side and volcanic peaks and escarpments on the other, but people outside the metro and NM seem to always be surprised that our landscape is more than just the occasional passing tumbleweed.

Point being, it's all in the name and how the city is presented in media I guess. You hear Denver and Colorado in general and you think mountains. You hear ABQ and New Mexico you think desolate flat (aside from the sand dunes) desert. New Mexico and Colorado, the 5th and 8th biggest states by land area respectively, are too big to be accurately defined by the broad generalizations of "desert" or "mountain" that people try to apply to the states and their metro areas.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:11 PM

670 posts, read 1,167,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
How would anyone think that a metro area of 3 million was "in" the mountains?? Is Phoenix "in" the mountains? or L.A.? Or Seattle??? There ARE mountains here. I seem them every day from my house, during my commute, from the view at work... Some people seem to go the opposite way and act like were out by Limon where you can barely see them on a very clear day.
(couldn't rep you again)

Reminds me of when I was very young and naive and flew to Zurich for the first time. I was disappointed that it wasn't "in" the Alps and the Swiss Miss didn't hand me a hot cocoa upon arrival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver