Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 08:18 PM

557 posts, read 335,032 times

Advertisements

Did anyone actually get there?

We paid $25 a ticket, left with an hour to spare for traffic. The trip was ok on eastbound Hampden until southbound Gun Club, then it came to a complete stop. An hour for the mile to Quincy, barely saw the planes from miles away, then bailed out since the show was over. I am reading comments that the traffic on 470 was catastrophically worse, 2-3-4 hours. People with pre-paid tickets were turned away because the parking lots were full!

They will be in Cheyenne, WY on July 22. That is only 2 hours away. It will be quicker to get there than from Denver to Aurora.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 09:55 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,367,260 times
I've heard from multiple people that it was a real pain. We were heading north on 470 at around 9:15 this morning and when we passed the Quincy exit, we noted that cars were backed up on the exits all the way to the highway.

Lucky me, I was able to see part of the show and the fireworks from my back deck last night.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:58 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,726,501 times
Instead of putting up with that mess, why not sit by the side of the road here in COLO SPGS on the day of USAF Academy graduation, which was two days (Thursday). There's great viewing from the area of I-25 Exit 153 (Interquest Pkwy) from where it's easy to get back on the highway, or have lunch at the nearby brewpub.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:23 AM

1,803 posts, read 3,171,030 times
I made it eventually. Hit the quincy exit at e-470 at 9am, didn't pull into a parking spot until 10:30. Then I had to wait for a shuttle to take me up to the reservoir and once you get off the bus, the was another line just to get past the ticket gate(shuttle and ticket line was another 45 minutes). I was finally in at 11:15am.

They said Saturday tickets can be used at Sunday show. Their facebook page also mentioned being able to get a refund. Parking lot will open at 7am on Sunday if try to go.

The aurora reservoir is just a bad venue for an airshow. The roads leading into it cannot handle the kind of volume an airshow brings. The organizers made it worse by trying to use the shoulder to get more cars through, but eventually that all merges back into a single lane as you enter the parking lots, which slowed things down again.

Getting out was just as bad. I hung around in the show for a bit to try and wait it out. Still had a half hour wait for a bus and 45 minutes to get out of the lot. Quincy was backed up going west, I took a right and went east on Quincy and caught a road that took me up to i-70.

I go to several airshows every summer, and some traffic is expected, but this is the worst I've ever seen. Poor planning.

For what it's worth, they confirmed at the show that the Blue angels will be in town in 2016.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:57 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,547,890 times
I love the Blue Angels. I grew up with them in San Diego. They used to allow everybody to come onto the base(Miramar) and watch the show on the tarmac for free. How things have changed.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:31 AM

557 posts, read 806,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I love the Blue Angels. I grew up with them in San Diego. They used to allow everybody to come onto the base(Miramar) and watch the show on the tarmac for free. How things have changed.
Grew up with them as well, but along the coast. Saw them several times flying over Pensacola Beach.

I was looking forward to going to this, but after reading numerous reports about yesterday's failures, I'm not going to bother today. Here's to hoping for a better setup for the Blue Angels next year.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:50 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,547,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post
Grew up with them as well, but along the coast. Saw them several times flying over Pensacola Beach.

I was looking forward to going to this, but after reading numerous reports about yesterday's failures, I'm not going to bother today. Here's to hoping for a better setup for the Blue Angels next year.
The news just reported they opened parking early and they are taking yesterday's tickets.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:06 AM

277 posts, read 516,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I saw an air show back in the middle 80's - it was at Buckley Air Base (in Aurora) and only about 2 miles from my house ... it was free and I loved it!

Old 05-31-2015, 11:29 AM

8,591 posts, read 14,755,650 times
The traffic problems they're having don't surprise me one bit. There's only one way into and out of the fairgrounds and the reservoir and it's a narrow 2-lane road (Quincy Ave.) fed by...wait for it...another narrow 2-lane road (Gun Club).

Thankfully we live up the hill from the reservoir and have been able to see a fair amount of the show...for free.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:19 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,367,260 times
People are tailgating in the parking lot of the Southlands Home Depot on the hill overlooking 470. Seems to be good viewing spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver