Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 09:42 AM

975 posts, read 1,318,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _DenverNative_ View Post
DougCo a suburban hole? In terms of the commute, I'm sure it is.

Oh dear.

No Park Hill Bloods or Sureno 13 in DougCo.
But plenty of drugs (lot's of coke and prescription drug abuse in DougCo schools) and DougCo is a prime spot for the next mass shooting- probably around 2025 or so.

Just your typical rich white kid in the 'burb issues.

Both areas have pluses and minuses. Pick your preference for living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 10:24 AM

897 posts, read 1,246,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
But plenty of drugs (lot's of coke and prescription drug abuse in DougCo schools) and DougCo is a prime spot for the next mass shooting- probably around 2025 or so.

Just your typical rich white kid in the 'burb issues.

Both areas have pluses and minuses. Pick your preference for living.
You are quite right. There are ups and downs for every location.

I'd honestly avoid spending time trying to convince this guy. Some people are, without hope.

He's either woefully ignorant or just trolling... either way it's a losing battle.

I mean this is a guy that is equating NE Denver neighborhoods with LA or something - where gangs run wild and shoot each other up. Maybe in his day, but times change (people don't, alas)

Old 07-10-2015, 02:35 PM

42 posts, read 40,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Much less than other Denver city neighborhoods.
Then this city really is unaffordable lol! We have 2100 sq. ft, plus 900 finished basement, and it would go for around $600K in Stapleton.

I suspect Stapleton prices may catch up to other areas once built out. We're sort of tied to whatever the builders are charging right now.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:41 PM

42 posts, read 40,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
You are quite right. There are ups and downs for every location.

I'd honestly avoid spending time trying to convince this guy. Some people are, without hope.

He's either woefully ignorant or just trolling... either way it's a losing battle.

I mean this is a guy that is equating NE Denver neighborhoods with LA or something - where gangs run wild and shoot each other up. Maybe in his day, but times change (people don't, alas)
If I lived on a cul-de-sac in HR, I probably wouldn't worry about crime as much as in Stapleton. But it's a trade-off for wanting the more urban environment. Crime in Stapleton is probably the same as other nice Denver neighborhoods. Leave your garage door open overnight and expect to have things stolen. We set the alarm, leave lights on at night outside, park in the garage, lock doors. Common sense things, so no problems.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:14 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,464,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverEN View Post
Then this city really is unaffordable lol! We have 2100 sq. ft, plus 900 finished basement, and it would go for around $600K in Stapleton.

I suspect Stapleton prices may catch up to other areas once built out. We're sort of tied to whatever the builders are charging right now.
There is a 3,000 square foot house on my block that sits on a 4,600 sq/ft is under contract for $1.4M.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 07-10-2015 at 04:43 PM..

Old 07-10-2015, 04:11 PM

126 posts, read 144,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverEN View Post

$600k for 3000 sq ft is almost impossible to find in established Denver hoods with good schools (unless you want to spend another 100k on renovations). I really don't know if Stapleton will "catch up". The upkeep on a couple of the homes/landscaping is already shoddy. Which is alarming in a newer neighborhood. Lowry, a similarly new neighborhood, it still squeaky clean and gorgeous. Something about Stapleton is very polarizing. Some love it, but many hate it. Lowry seems to be universally liked (note that I didn't say LOVED).

This is a loaded question, I know, but if we all peer into our crystal balls, is Stapleton the next Green Valley Ranch? For those who have watched GVR develop and then implode -- don't you see some similarities?

Old 07-10-2015, 04:26 PM

618 posts, read 1,360,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondmoray View Post
This is a loaded question, I know, but if we all peer into our crystal balls, is Stapleton the next Green Valley Ranch? For those who have watched GVR develop and then implode -- don't you see some similarities?
No.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:32 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,061,221 times
Quote:
$600k for 3000 sq ft is almost impossible to find in established Denver hoods with good schools (unless you want to spend another 100k on renovations). I really don't know if Stapleton will "catch up". The upkeep on a couple of the homes/landscaping is already shoddy. Which is alarming in a newer neighborhood. Lowry, a similarly new neighborhood, it still squeaky clean and gorgeous. Something about Stapleton is very polarizing. Some love it, but many hate it. Lowry seems to be universally liked (note that I didn't say LOVED).

A couple of houses are shoddy? Out of the thousands and thousands of homes, yes, I'm sure some are. Just like in any other neighborhood.

And no, Lowry is not pristine, it has it's share of shoddy houses as well - not many, but there are some. It's also much, much smaller than Stapleton and while there are some similarities, it's really not a valid direct comparison. Btw, I say that as someone who owned a home in Lowry for 7 years before selling and moving to Stapleton. A huge reason was the quality of the schools. Lowry Elementary was great the first few years but is now in a troubling cycle of not being able to retain a principal. The middle school (Hill) is mediocre, and the high school (GW) is concerning.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:43 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,464,766 times
Quote:

Not even remotely. Look at the demographics.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:48 PM

618 posts, read 1,360,050 times
Quote:

I've heard a number of Lowry residents complain about how disconnected each of the three residential areas are from each other, how dangerous it is to bike through the community, the poor selection of schools, and the density of the new Boulevard One development. Not everyone likes it there.

GVR and Stapleton don't share a lot in common other than being newer neighborhoods on the east side of Denver. Different demographics, different price points, different builders, different types of community. Post-2008, GVR is recovering nicely and there seems to be a steady demand for homes in that community.

Stapleton is a different animal. It has a much more diverse selection of home types than Lowry or GVR. As a neighborhood, it is well designed for an active community, with front porches on every home and walkable streets which helps with community engagement. As long as the schools continue to perform, it will continue to be a desirable option for young families who want to live close to the city.

I wouldn't confuse the sea of beige homes with "squeaky clean and gorgeous." But, if you take a moment to walk around neighborhoods like Park Hill, Wash Park, or Highland and it will become apparent that lawn maintenance isn't end all be all in determining urban home values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver