U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 03:13 PM

144 posts, read 231,944 times
Question Is there a place in Denver for us?

Hi,

We (wife and 1yr old girl) are contemplating a change in the direction of our lives,that direction is pointing to Denver We are both 38 yrs of age

We currently live in Seattle and my wife works from home as I completely remodel our house full time. If we sell our house we would walk away with $150k in cash after paying mortgage off etc.. With other $ we have invested we'd have cash of $250k available to buy a house. Now are plan:

We want to downsize....not the house our life!!. We'd 'like to buy a c2000sq ft house in a family oriented neighborhood that is walking distance to the light rail(current or under construction), and maybe a small downtown area.. we prefer older c 60's-80's era houses.We don't want to pay anymore than $350max. We want a fixer that has the square footage there already. I can do anything,electric,plumbing,kitchens etc to the house that needs doing. I am not interested in doing any type of addition. We would like c 5-k sq ft lot but if there is a park with a playground nearby that is flexible.we currently have a water view property but are willing to make do with photos of it if we can make this work!

We love the outdoors and want our daughter to grow up in a safe,family area with good schools and a sense of belonging

My wife works in an IT helpdesk and would be looking for some work in that field but not necessarily.

To give you an idea of how much we want this change here'e our view now

Thanks to all
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a place in Denver for us?-mtns-out2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 04:51 PM

68,611 posts, read 57,269,703 times
I think you would have no problem finding what you want here. Why Denver? Just wondering.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:03 PM

140 posts, read 401,090 times
Your view is incredible. Truly! Why the move?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:41 PM

144 posts, read 231,944 times
Arrgh just lost my reply

pittnurse/thedfly

Yes we love our view and if we could pack it with us we would

However with it comes a heavy mortgage payment and we have had great difficulty meeting people who want to be friends(we don't have two heads, honest!). As I read recently I find that sincerity here in Seattle is a mile wide an an inch deep.

I'm from Ireland and my wife from here. In Ireland life is about your friends and family and they were very hard for me to leave behind to come to the US three years ago. I want that type of life for my daughter and we feel perhaps Denver may be place. My wife has some old friends there who have kids,and they have friends who have kids......

We want to buy outright if we can or with a very small payment. We are after a lifestyle which involves good people and I very much want my daughter to grow up in a community and have a sense of belonging..is Denver the place?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:36 PM

632 posts, read 1,127,680 times
Two places I would look: Close to downtown Arvada (north and west of downtown Denver) which is slated for a light rail stop and has a great little downtown, and is very nice. Also I would look around downtown Littleton (south and west of downtown Denver). Downtown Littleton already has a light rail stop in place and a great little downtown. One of my friends was looking at housing around there recently and said it was charming.

I can't say if either of these places has a true "sense of community" since I've never lived in either. I can only speak for my own neighborhood--Bradburn Village in Westminster--which has that in spades, and has a downtown, but is not walking distance to light rail (will be 10 minute or less biking distance straight on a dedicated bike path though) BUT our homes are new (oldest one built in 2001)--although we have the correct price and sq foot you are looking for.

I find it interesting how many people post to the forum looking for neighborhoods with a real sense of community--that seems to be becoming more and more important after so many years of the privatizing of American life--I'm glad to see it.

Colorado has a great quality of life, I'm sure you can find what you seek here. When you visit areas, walk around and stop people out walking and ask them what they think of the community--that's the best way to find out the real deal IMO.

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 PM

4,749 posts, read 8,335,405 times
I think the city of Englewood would be ideal. It has a nice old area, is walkable and has a light rail station. We have an great poster here called MobyLL and he has gone there and given us some pictures.

Englewood / Arapahoe Acres / Mid-Century Modern -- Photo Tour for the pictures

and for the comments
http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...acres-mid.html

Check out this thread that I started

Good Areas in Denver Metro that are not as well known

and look at these pictures from the greatest poster MobyLL on Harvey Park
http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...hoto-tour.html

and the comment thread
http://www.city-data.com/forum/denve...ark-photo.html

This will give you some nice less expensive neighborhoods that you can look and see if they fit.

Also you can work backwards or forwards, whatever is correct, and look at the RTD website find the commuter rail stops and then look for a neighborhoods
The Regional Transportation District Home Page

Be sure to go to the interactive map Denver - Regional Transportation District Mapping Site and when you go to the highest magnification it will go to a satellite picture.

I live in Arvada and I agree with Bradburn1, it has a nice old real downtown. In addition, there are many areas in the suburbs that are great places to live and have a commuter rail or will in the future under fastracks FasTracks Home. The West Line to Golden will be completed first and is now under construction. If you get a home, near a future station, you can fix it up and see it appreciate when the station opens.

Good Luck,

Livecontent

Old 01-21-2008, 07:52 PM

Louisville is slated to have a light rail station, don't know how many light years away that will be! Lsvl has a little downtown, not as big as Arvada's, but has some restaurants, boutiques, and a public library. A nice pubic park is near downtown with an outdoor pool. Louisville definitely has a sense of communtiy with lots of festivals, etc. The biggest are on the 4th of July and Labor Day Weekend.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 PM

739 posts, read 2,036,698 times
you may be able to get into Platte Park but 350 would be pushing it. Walkable to light rail and a myriad of other things

Old 01-21-2008, 10:52 PM

108 posts, read 274,128 times
Whereto, encountering the same in Seattle and possibly in a similar situation.

My general question for this thread is, for those of you with children in school or about to start school, what are considered the best school districts? We're in about a $400k, 1900 sqft house, built 2003, in a good school district near Seattle. We want to sell it and buy something the same or, if possible, a little cheaper but primarily in a safe neighborhood in a good school district with decent commuting access to Englewood.

Any tips would be welcome. Also recommendations for good pre-schools, montessori, etc, would help.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:02 AM

Many, many threads about schools on this forum. Do a search and you will find much information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver