Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2015, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,677 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm really thinking hard about where to move in the fall. I am both from and live in Houston, and I plan on moving anywhere but Texas. I just graduated High School and I'm free to live anywhere pretty much, I have a good amount of money saved up to get a nice start wherever. I love the snow and being on the mountain. I want to live somewhere with a fun downtown scene and a nice night life. as far as housing goes, Ill be by myself so a studio apt would be ideal because of the price. What's a good area to live in that's not to expensive but is close to a fun area? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 09:14 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
How much have you budgeted for a studio in a fun area?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:22 PM

238 posts, read 696,257 times
We need more information, namely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustHomdy View Post
I have a good amount of money saved up to get a nice start wherever
What are we talking about here? 10k, 15k, 20k,...? If you give us a figure we can advise whether your savings is enough for the area(s) you are considering. Also, are you planning on working while out here or going to school? This info will all impact how much savings you will need.

Quote:
I love the snow and being on the mountain. I want to live somewhere with a fun downtown scene and a nice night life.
Are you interested in Denver specifically or are you open to other cities and towns? Fort Collins, for example, has nightlife and a small downtown but certainly isn't the size of Denver.

Quote:
as far as housing goes, Ill be by myself so a studio apt would be ideal because of the price. What's a good area to live in that's not to expensive but is close to a fun area? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Define, "not too expensive" for us. What is your budget for a studio apartment? Also, we need to know more about what activities you find fun. Are you into hiking, the art scene, music/concerts, joining a recreational sports team, etc.?

I'm not quite sure from your post whether you intend this to be a permanent move or simply if you're taking a few months off from you life to have fun... This info will help us guide you as well.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 1,677 times
Yes I will have a job, still don't know where/what I'll be doing. I am open to live anywhere so Denver really isn't set in stone yet. As of now its just going to be temporary(maybe a few years).as for the apartment cost I dont really know what is expensive in Denver($750 or less preferably) and I plan on doing everything, I am an outdoors guy so I'll be hiking/biking but I love going to concerts. Well good by me is only $3500 for a start but I'm selling my car and getting something cheaper so I'll have a little more than that when I move

Old 06-23-2015, 09:48 PM

238 posts, read 696,257 times
Quote:
Yes I will have a job, still don't know where/what I'll be doing. I am open to live anywhere so Denver really isn't set in stone yet. As of now its just going to be temporary(maybe a few years).as for the apartment cost I dont really know what is expensive in Denver($750 or less preferably) and I plan on doing everything, I am an outdoors guy so I'll be hiking/biking but I love going to concerts. Well good by me is only $3500 for a start but I'm selling my car and getting something cheaper so I'll have a little more than that when I move
This helps. It's a rule-of-thumb that you should have 6 months of living expenses saved up so if you do find yourself unable to get a job for a few months, get laid off, or have an unexpected expense pop up (think emergency room visit, for example) you won't go belly-up. Personally, I think even if you're at $5k you're still pretty low... $10k would be a much better start as you should factor in rent, food, gas, car maintenance, auto and renters insurance, daily supplies, etc. Also, if you do not have a job lined up upon moving here and a good credit history the apartment complex is likely going to want to see enough savings to cover your rental contract term.

The rent price tag is going to sting, I searched online and could only come up with 3 apartment complexes in and around Denver for under $700/month. If you increase your monthly budget to around $850 your results are much better. Studio Apartments for Rent in Denver, CO An alternative idea is to rent out a room of a house or locate a roommate to share an apartment with.

There are several areas with a downtown and night life scene but prices can be high. Regardless, in addition to Denver check out Boulder, Golden, Fort Collins, and the mountain towns.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2015, 07:28 AM

17 posts, read 55,663 times
Quote:
Hi I'm really thinking hard about where to move in the fall. I am both from and live in Houston, and I plan on moving anywhere but Texas. I just graduated High School and I'm free to live anywhere pretty much, I have a good amount of money saved up to get a nice start wherever. I love the snow and being on the mountain. I want to live somewhere with a fun downtown scene and a nice night life. as far as housing goes, Ill be by myself so a studio apt would be ideal because of the price. What's a good area to live in that's not to expensive but is close to a fun area? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Making a big move is expensive and hard.

Being a high school grad with what I assume isn't a specific skill set will make it harder.

If you are dead set on trying then I have some tips.

Take a "vacation" to the area a few weeks to a month before you plan to move there and try really hard to land a job. Server/waitstaff jobs are easy to land if you have any experience there. If not it may be worth it to get some experience now in your city. Aim for a chain restaurant that does business in Denver, on the expensive side, work there for X amount of time and ask for a transfer.

You're going to want to live where I want to live... So does everyone one else and plenty of people with lots of money. Be prepared to spend $800 for a room shared with roommates or 1200 for your own space.. Houston is cheap for a reason.

"downtown" is where you will want to be but its pretty big with alot of little subsections. Some area's are going to be out of reach for you but if you limit your expectations....

Also Denver isn't in the mountains. While you have a view at some really tall mountains they appear much closer than they are. Expect 45 minutes or more to get into them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver