Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 07:31 PM

380 posts, read 653,039 times

Advertisements

I'm actually making this exact choice right now. My parents and brother live in San Diego, and I'm visiting a friend in Denver next weekend (he's lived in Denver 13 years).

To the OP: Have you analyzed every angle of this financially? When I had my taxes done in March, I told my accountant about my intent to live in San Diego or Denver, and he said financially speaking there's no comparison -- my money will go much further in Denver. I'm going to try to extract some (free) details from him very soon and will post them here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 02:13 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsl5 View Post
I do like most of Denver's neighborhoods, but I feel that San Diego's are more unique. Some of the ones in Denver seem to run together for me. To each their own!
Curious if you can provide specifics here.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:42 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
I do like most of Denver's neighborhoods, but I feel that San Diego's are more unique. Some of the ones in Denver seem to run together for me. To each their own!
I kind of agree. San Diego has very distinct neighborhoods and more diverse. I think San Diego can range from surf, military, tropical, urban, old money, new money, Mexican, hipster, gay, tourists....

there is just more going on

Old 07-01-2015, 11:08 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
All things equal finance wise I'd make a decision on climate and personal city preference. Just some thoughts - pros and cons.

Denver is getting (or already is getting crowded), and bad traffic. But if you're lucky enough to buy downtown or a nearby neighborhood, or inner ring suburb (Englewood, Wheat Ridge, etc) and work closeby enough for short commute it won't affect you as much. (Similar to L.A. commuting mentality: Try and be close or have flexible options.)

Rent price are ridiculous. I feel bad for any young person moving here and wanting a small place to themselves like I did years ago. But hat income will get you a decent 1Bedroom rental in a desirable neighborhood, and can rent for a year while being patient and looking for a place to buy.

You won't be going to the mountains every weekend. Accessing good hiking/skiing/camping spots is more arduous than hitting up the beach, due to traffic and the time it takes. I've said in other posts I've started to do more 3-4 day trips further out. The mountain region within 75 miles of Denver (Estes Park, Summit County, etc.) gets very busy and the major freeway west (I-70) has "issues" you can easily read about. That doesn't mean it's not fun (I'm going hiking and rafting with friends over 4th of July and staying in Breck) - just need to realize that many others due the same - so if you want quiet open pastoral spaces you need to get way further out (Wyoming, Salida, Durango, etc.).
*edit to add, or do your "weekend" trips from Saturday to Monday as I sometimes do, or weekdays is possible.

The gay scene in Denver quite active and respectable. It's not only bars/clubs/parties. There are dozens of activity groups for sports, (football, rugby, biking, skiing, rafting trips) and social groups as well - business professionals, activists, political organizations from left leaning to fiscally conservative. I have gay friends in all parts of the city - downtown of course to Stapleton and Highlands Ranch, and have never heard of ill-treatment.

Denver is isolated, no big cities nearby. However flights are cheap, and being centrally located is a plus: You can be to the west coast or midwest cities in less than two hour flight, east coast in 3.5. With some good planning most flights to big cities are $250-$375 I've found, making getaways easy and affordable (time and money wise).
Denver has many more flight options than SD, three major competing airlines (as of now) and a rail line to the airport opening next year. One Saturday a few years back I took an early flight to L.A. and was sitting on the beach and realized it was faster getting there than to the chairlift at Breck. If you're an avid traveler you won't feel isolated. I visit L.A. and Chicago regularly.

Also I never thought about it but I read on a CD post many San Diegans feel the same about being isolated, with Mexico to the south, deserts to the east, and the sprawl of OC/LA to the north.

San Diego's weather is quite predictable, ours can swing 50 degrees in a day, go from -10 to 100 during the year and everything from snowstorms to floods, and but lovely the next day. We enjoy most days, but just be aware of the occasionally craziness.

Coronado Island = Washington Park.
With a huge military presence.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:11 AM

I am in San Diego right now on vacation and I would move back here in a heart beat if it was feasible. I love the Denver area but you just can't beat the weather here in San Diego.

The problem is owning a house and the gas prices are much higher than Denver. My folks still live here and now are debating on whether to sell their property. They are retired and want to travel. They have acreage and at their age it is getting harder and harder to maintain.

By the way it rained here yesterday. It was a nice steady rain. They need more of that.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Kind of like Orange County?

Old 07-01-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I moved to Denver from SD 2 years ago and do not like it here compared to SD. Not that Denver has bad weather, but San Diego's is ranked 8th best in the world! You have mountains (Big Bear) a few hours away and you're close to the beach. Rent (depending where you live) might be more there, but if you're near the ocean, utilities will be far less since you won't have to use them (inland is another story).

I can't speak for the gay scene in Denver, but San Diego's gay neighborhood is called Hillcrest and it's conveniently located with lots of restaurants and shops.

Traffic is also a lot easier in SD and you're within driving distance to LA, Las Vegas and a few other cities. Food also wins in SD IMO.

Both are active, outdoorsy cities. San Diego also has more unique neighborhoods with their own vibes more so than Denver (Hillcrest, Encinitas, North Park, Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, Gaslamp, La Jolla, etc.)

We of course left because we wanted to buy a house and have kids. Hoping to move back when we retire!
I have to disagree about the traffic. Although traffic is getting worse in Denver it is still far worse in San Diego at peak hours.

Old 07-02-2015, 03:03 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,046,764 times
San Diego's climate is lovely, but it can be BORING. Day after day of morning clouds, afternoon sun, low 70s with a lovely on-shore breeze. If you're a gardener, you'll love the climate. But if you want variety, you'll be disappointed.

One thing people don't realize about the So. Ca. coastal climate is that the air is not dry- it's damp. Not like the deep-south damp, but the dew point is generally around 50-60 degrees. It takes a long time to dry laundry outside with those dew points. The humidity can get low in the fall (Santa Ana season), but it's infrequent compared to the on-shore air flow.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:36 PM

471 posts, read 600,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
San Diego's climate is lovely, but it can be BORING. Day after day of morning clouds, afternoon sun, low 70s with a lovely on-shore breeze. If you're a gardener, you'll love the climate. But if you want variety, you'll be disappointed.

One thing people don't realize about the So. Ca. coastal climate is that the air is not dry- it's damp. Not like the deep-south damp, but the dew point is generally around 50-60 degrees. It takes a long time to dry laundry outside with those dew points. The humidity can get low in the fall (Santa Ana season), but it's infrequent compared to the on-shore air flow.
Yes, the comfort level of dewpoints in the 50s is considered the most comfortable of all.

The on-shore breeze with its goldilocks humidity levels feels so soft and gentle on your skin. It is so comfortable, so soothing.

The marine layer rolling in at night, tucking you in like a blanket. The sun warming through the clouds throughout the morning, with a gentle filter, creating an amazing soft golden glow. The sunlight in Denver is very harsh and glaring.

The gentle breeze is what you mostly get, you rarely have strong windy days, only in Santa Ana conditions. You have far more windy days in Denver.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:48 PM

557 posts, read 810,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Yes, the comfort level of dewpoints in the 50s is considered the most comfortable of all.

The on-shore breeze with its goldilocks humidity levels feels so soft and gentle on your skin. It is so comfortable, so soothing.

The marine layer rolling in at night, tucking you in like a blanket. The sun warming through the clouds throughout the morning, with a gentle filter, creating an amazing soft golden glow. The sunlight in Denver is very harsh and glaring.

The gentle breeze is what you mostly get, you rarely have strong windy days, only in Santa Ana conditions. You have far more windy days in Denver.
You should write postcards for the San Diego chamber. And definitely avoid Denver. At all costs. I mean, blah, amirite?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver