Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 10:43 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,160,559 times

Advertisements

I'm a late 20s gay male. I'll have an opportunity to transfer to a number of cities early next year including Denver and San Diego. I have no children, just two feline fur kids. If I moved to SD I would make approx. $77,500; in Denver it would be more like $73-74. I'm not looking to buy right now but rent would be no more than $1500 for a 1br. No studios. Looking at craigslist it honestly does not seem that SD is all that more expensive than Denver for a renter, at least in the urban neighborhoods. Is there any truth to this? If so it seems like SD would be the better choice. Just wondering if anyone had opinions on what makes Denver better, price being neutral for sake of argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2015, 06:49 AM

26 posts, read 108,263 times
Denver and SD may have similar rent prices (this is surprising to me) but that's where similarities end. San Diego is legendary for its astronomical home prices. I'd only recommend SD if you have zero interest in ever buying a house, ever. However, if you do want to buy a house, Denver has a lot of great areas where you can buy great houses in the mid to high 300s. In San Diego, that would hardly buy you a boarded-up shack.

Of course, San Diego's weather simply cannot be beat -- it's the best in the world. But most of the time the weather here is pretty good. The winter can suck, but it's really not like watching "Fargo" or anything. I would not want to live in a place where buying a home is simply out of the question unless you're a millionaire.

I'm pretty sure your salary will take you a hell of a lot farther here than in SD, too. Southern Cali is simply a very expensive place in all regards.

I'd take San Diego in your position, then move away when I wanted to buy a home.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:30 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,463,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokosan View Post
Denver and SD may have similar rent prices (this is surprising to me) but that's where similarities end.
Surprising to me as well. San Diegos high end (beach) can be much more expensive, but the inland areas can even be cheaper than Denver.
http://www.padmapper.com/search/apar...rnia/san-diego

Given:

same rental price
same salary
no kids

San Diego hands down.

Old 06-28-2015, 07:50 AM

29 posts, read 35,332 times
Wow, talk about having a great choice to make.

Never lived in either city but spent a lot of time in both (more Denver than SD). I don't think you can go wrong either way. I love both cities but would choose Denver as mountain activities are more a fit for me than beach. I also enjoy the 4 seasons and while Denver does get snow the winters aren't that bad. More than once I have been there for a snowstorm one day followed by 40/50 temp the next.

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2015, 08:56 AM

473 posts, read 847,035 times
All things equal finance wise I'd make a decision on climate and personal city preference. Just some thoughts - pros and cons.

Denver is getting (or already is getting crowded), and bad traffic. But if you're lucky enough to buy downtown or a nearby neighborhood, or inner ring suburb (Englewood, Wheat Ridge, etc) and work closeby enough for short commute it won't affect you as much. (Similar to L.A. commuting mentality: Try and be close or have flexible options.)

Rent price are ridiculous. I feel bad for any young person moving here and wanting a small place to themselves like I did years ago. But hat income will get you a decent 1Bedroom rental in a desirable neighborhood, and can rent for a year while being patient and looking for a place to buy.

You won't be going to the mountains every weekend. Accessing good hiking/skiing/camping spots is more arduous than hitting up the beach, due to traffic and the time it takes. I've said in other posts I've started to do more 3-4 day trips further out. The mountain region within 75 miles of Denver (Estes Park, Summit County, etc.) gets very busy and the major freeway west (I-70) has "issues" you can easily read about. That doesn't mean it's not fun (I'm going hiking and rafting with friends over 4th of July and staying in Breck) - just need to realize that many others due the same - so if you want quiet open pastoral spaces you need to get way further out (Wyoming, Salida, Durango, etc.).
*edit to add, or do your "weekend" trips from Saturday to Monday as I sometimes do, or weekdays is possible.

The gay scene in Denver quite active and respectable. It's not only bars/clubs/parties. There are dozens of activity groups for sports, (football, rugby, biking, skiing, rafting trips) and social groups as well - business professionals, activists, political organizations from left leaning to fiscally conservative. I have gay friends in all parts of the city - downtown of course to Stapleton and Highlands Ranch, and have never heard of ill-treatment.

Denver is isolated, no big cities nearby. However flights are cheap, and being centrally located is a plus: You can be to the west coast or midwest cities in less than two hour flight, east coast in 3.5. With some good planning most flights to big cities are $250-$375 I've found, making getaways easy and affordable (time and money wise).
Denver has many more flight options than SD, three major competing airlines (as of now) and a rail line to the airport opening next year. One Saturday a few years back I took an early flight to L.A. and was sitting on the beach and realized it was faster getting there than to the chairlift at Breck. If you're an avid traveler you won't feel isolated. I visit L.A. and Chicago regularly.

Also I never thought about it but I read on a CD post many San Diegans feel the same about being isolated, with Mexico to the south, deserts to the east, and the sprawl of OC/LA to the north.

San Diego's weather is quite predictable, ours can swing 50 degrees in a day, go from -10 to 100 during the year and everything from snowstorms to floods, and but lovely the next day. We enjoy most days, but just be aware of the occasionally craziness.

Coronado Island = Washington Park.

Last edited by jamesdenver; 06-28-2015 at 09:10 AM..

Old 06-28-2015, 09:25 AM

3,115 posts, read 5,024,166 times
I would pick San Diego hands down. Move to Denver when your older and want to start a family or put down roots.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:45 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies and feedback. Denver is still in the running but just hard to decide. There's nothing in SoCal like the Rockies and as a backpacker, the climate in CO is better than inland SoCal where the best trails are. Of course there's the fire risk as well. The drought in CA is worrisome. Seems like CO does not have it nearly as bad, but are water issues a problem down the road?

Old 06-28-2015, 05:51 PM

850 posts, read 794,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies and feedback. Denver is still in the running but just hard to decide. There's nothing in SoCal like the Rockies and as a backpacker, the climate in CO is better than inland SoCal where the best trails are. Of course there's the fire risk as well. The drought in CA is worrisome. Seems like CO does not have it nearly as bad, but are water issues a problem down the road?
Do you know anybody in either place? It helps to know people or have relatives.

I plan to move out of AZ in a year or so and Colorado and SoCal are my 1st two options. I think the job opportunity would ultimately decide for me.
San Diego has less opportunities than Denver, however Orange County and LA which aren't too far has lots tons of opportunity.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oping00 View Post
Do you know anybody in either place? It helps to know people or have relatives.

I plan to move out of AZ in a year or so and Colorado and SoCal are my 1st two options. I think the job opportunity would ultimately decide for me.
San Diego has less opportunities than Denver, however Orange County and LA which aren't too far has lots tons of opportunity.
Yes I do. I actually lived in SD previously for about 5 years so I have many friends there though many have also moved away. I have a brother and aunt and uncle in SD. My best friend on the other hand moved out to Denver from the Bay Area last year and loves it there. So I will know people in both places.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:22 PM

850 posts, read 794,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Yes I do. I actually lived in SD previously for about 5 years so I have many friends there though many have also moved away. I have a brother and aunt and uncle in SD. My best friend on the other hand moved out to Denver from the Bay Area last year and loves it there. So I will know people in both places.
Then go with the best job opportunity and the place that will serve you better in career long term.
I will say this about Denver it is progressive, strong IT market, growing business, weed, its not too liberal or too conservative. You will miss ocean or beach if thats what you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver