Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:32 AM

8,950 posts, read 20,372,776 times

Advertisements

Before meeting my wife in So Calif., I had done some traveling and went thru Denver when heading down to the Springs. After visiting the Springs for a week, headed back to So Calif. I was hoping to meet a gal that would want to move out of So Calif. as much as I did and I DID! When I met my wife and talked to her about moving to Denver metro, she jumped on it. Her mom and two sister's lived in So Calif., but she really wanted to move away. I had no family there. At this time, I was 49 and she was 50. She told me that was really missing the seasons. Originally, she was from southeastern Michigan and I was from northeastern Indiana. So, a year and a half after getting married, we packed up her 4-Runner and headed towards Denver. Spent 5 1/2 years there, living in Englewood and Parker.

Loved going to rodeo's, State Fair, RMNP and boating/fishing on Chatfield, Cherry Creek and Horseshoe lakes. We both loved wearing Western attire and I had been involved with Pro-Rodeo while in So Calif. Snow......loved it at first, then it got old as we got older.

Both quit our jobs and moved in 2007, BUT, really miss all the things we liked about the area. Currently living in northeastern Florida and it sure can't compare to living there! We are both in our mid 60's now and I'm retired. Have been giving it some very serious thought about moving back when my wife retires. She misses seeing deer and elk and going to rodeo's. Cheyenne Frontier Days is going on right now and miss that. As far as the winter snow/cold goes, when people are retired, they don't have to drive in that weather on an "everyday" basis anymore.

So, since we are giving it serious thought about returning to Denver metro/south, we definitely must have liked the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 09:35 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,229,492 times
I lived in Denver from 2004 to 2013. It was crazy to see how much the city changed in that short time. It was cool to see how the city became so much more urban and lively. The downside is that as the city became more popular, the cost of living increased, traffic congestion got much worse, etc.

I'm currently living in Chicago and while there are some things that I like about it, I enjoyed living in Denver much more. I miss the friendly and more laid back vibe in Denver. Funny enough, I didn't think the people in Denver were very friendly when I lived there, but living in Chicago has changed my perspective considerably.

I definitely hope to get back to Denver soon.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:43 AM

384 posts, read 507,948 times
Heck, in my social circles there just aren't many natives. Most everyone I know is from somewhere else. The few natives I know are pretty friendly although a few of that subset are a little slow to take transplants under their social "wing" as the figure they are likely to move on again when Denver stops being the "cool" place.

I'd also note that this area of the West in general does attract people that kind of like to do their own thing. It's the reason we have things like rec-pot. The liberals and conservatives don't agree on much here other than "just leave me alone to do my thing".

Of course that's where things get weird as you have the liberal version and conservative version of liberterianism underlying many of the arguments in this state - and from both sides hypocricy abounds. But, since things are pretty evenly split, and with that "leave me alone" streak running through a lot of people - we wind up with a fairly well functioning government.

And to take this even more political it's why I'm all for booting out the neo-conservatives on the JeffCo School Board. Way too much "change" way too fast and for very little reason - toss in the cloud of secrecy and the clear religious overtones of their plan and to me - they gotta go.

Most people I know here pretty much like "solid, quiet, not a lot to stress about" from their governmental type bodies. The new board is the opposite of that, and I'd rather we get rid of them and go back to quietly working TOGETHER to improve things.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:06 AM

572 posts, read 552,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post

And to take this even more political it's why I'm all for booting out the neo-conservatives on the JeffCo School Board. Way too much "change" way too fast and for very little reason - toss in the cloud of secrecy (Bold Added) and the clear religious overtones of their plan and to me - they gotta go.

Most people I know here pretty much like "solid, quiet, not a lot to stress about" from their governmental type bodies. The new board is the opposite of that, and I'd rather we get rid of them and go back to quietly working TOGETHER to improve things.

Please elaborate...

Old 07-17-2015, 10:08 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
No, please don't. This thread is moving very quickly off-topic.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:14 AM

572 posts, read 552,347 times
so, it is better to post an opinion that is somewhat controversial - and leave it at that?

My take is the folks were elected to change the status quo...
and the folks who were runnign the show are now causing all kinds of fuss...

"the sky is falling" etc

Old 07-17-2015, 10:37 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,078,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post

Look at the thread title. This is not a conversation about school boards and politics. It's about why is Denver so wildly popular and if it is living up to its reputation.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:13 AM

1,536 posts, read 6,088,882 times
Loving most of the comments, but agree, back to the original topic - "For transplants - What was the appeal that brought you to Denver and did the appeal become reality?

For natives (like myself) - Why do you think we are one of the hottest places to be in the U.S. right now? Is it sustainable?"

Old 07-17-2015, 11:49 AM

384 posts, read 507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My apologies. I'll let that go in here and if anyone wishes, a new thread could be started for that discussion.

(If I could figure out how to edit it - I'd delete to get focus back on topic).

Old 07-17-2015, 01:11 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
My apologies. I'll let that go in here and if anyone wishes, a new thread could be started for that discussion.

(If I could figure out how to edit it - I'd delete to get focus back on topic).
I think you only have a limited time to edit a comment after you initially post it.

That being said there is another thread about Douglas County schools that you could elaborate on. Jeffco was brought up there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver