Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 09:08 PM

3,407 posts, read 4,628,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_eq View Post
I was a transplant in Denver for about two years. I'm from the south and I've lived in a few different cities, but Denver was not my favorite area. I went there for my fiance's job and I knew it was probably temporary. I really enjoyed all the outdoor activities, but I can relate to what someone said about "outdoors snobs." I was new to rock climbing and snowboarding, and I didn't always get the warmest reception from more experienced people. People in general were not as friendly as I was used to in the south.

I also never felt the same type of church community that grew up with in the south. I attended several different churches and everyone seemed nice enough, but it was definitely different because the churches were huge (yet the people didn't seem like a close community; everyone left immediately after the service instead of visiting) and religion in general didn't seem to be such a big part of many people's lives. I never really talked about it with anyone, and I remember feeling surprised that it didn't come up in conversation. Saying "bless your heart" got me a few funny looks if I recall.
I know I'm generalizing a lot here and I don't mean to be offensive, but this was just my experience.

The traffic was the worst of anywhere I've ever lived and the cost of living was a lot higher than NC! I was also surprised by how much my car insurance increased there.

I loved Rocky Mountain National Park, Waterton Canyon, and climbing 14ers. Basically I enjoyed the areas outside of Denver much, much more than the city itself (although I liked going to Rockies games because I grew up a baseball fan).

Overall, I didn't love or hate Denver. I wouldn't refuse to go back, but I don't miss it either. I know a lot of people love it and I can see why. There are a lot of wonderful things about the area.

If I moved back, I would consider Colorado Springs instead. The few times I went down there, I really liked the atmosphere and I think I might fit there better.
Outdoor snobs? Hipsters? You mean liberals.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 09:30 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,023 times
Transplant. Been here for 1 year 3 months. First visited while on a family vacation when I was in college. I loved the mountains and scenery. Really started wanting to live someplace not horrendously hot during Summers as well as someplace where it snowed but didn't stay piled up for months like some of the northern states. I couldn't be happier with the move. Having four distinct seasons is nice. I really like the size of Denver. It's pretty easy to get around. The job market here is pretty good and the outdoor activities are endless. Seeing the mountains in the West on a daily basis never gets old.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:14 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times
Weather
Cost, compared to SoCal in 2010.
Family oriented

I have to agree with others on this thread, I can't seem to understand the locals here...very introverted bunch. Luckily there are TONS of transplants.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:48 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumline View Post
Could you please elaborate on this part?
I can really relate to what Joy and Mach said. What Joy said doesn't surprise me at all, like "okay, we've done our business, we're done with you now", totally epitomizes some of the attitude here. It's hard to try and get people to know you, even when you're trying to get to know them. There's just a lack of engaged interest, generally.

I'm going to embellish a tad here:

There's a strong nativist undercurrent. There's so much pride in simply being born/raised here, more than anywhere else I've lived. 25% of the population wears Broncos and/or Rockies gear all year long (walk in most any King Soopers and you'll see what I'm talking about). Casually mention anything non-Colorado to some, and you risk a cold shoulder.

It's just been hard to find my social niche, and I may never find it here. Most things that are "hip" have no appeal to me. I could care less about weed stores, microbreweries, organic and/or alternative food, cool bars, interesting shops, restaurants so authentic they feel phony, etc. All of that stuff bores me to death. All of the popular parts of town have one or all of those things, and people here LOVE those things (especially if they're walking or riding their bikes to them). Out here where the "regular folks" live, it's just blah blah Broncos and/or the C flag all the time.

So yeah. I'm a Pacific Time Zone guy for sure. Fish out of water or whatever.

Last edited by Count David; 07-17-2015 at 07:32 PM..

Old 07-17-2015, 06:49 AM

531 posts, read 1,145,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
There's a strong nativist undercurrent. There's so much pride in simply being born/raised here, more than anywhere else I've lived. 25% of the population wears Broncos and/or Rockies gear all year long (walk in most any King Soopers and you'll see what I'm talking about). Casually mention anything non-Colorado to some, and you risk a cold shoulder.
I completely don't understand why there is such a strong nativist undercurrent. Some of the best people I know are transplants, and frankly, none of us are truly native. Our ancestors immigrated here from elsewhere. I suspect it's a marketing ploy to sell more native bumper stickers.

I welcome everyone from elsewhere to move here. It's a boon to our economy and it helps to keep things interesting.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:01 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,699 times
My kids are natives, and they've paired up with transplants - as have many of their childhood friends (mid twenties to mid thirties age range). How does that fit in?

Old 07-17-2015, 07:23 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
I think some of what is described above might be a male thing. My two best friends are natives, and both are very warm, welcoming people. I met another native woman the other day who was similar. Our age might have something to do with it, too. Can't say Broncos gear and microbrews are common in the fifty-year-old suburban mom set.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:13 AM

897 posts, read 1,252,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I think some of what is described above might be a male thing. My two best friends are natives, and both are very warm, welcoming people. I met another native woman the other day who was similar. Our age might have something to do with it, too. Can't say Broncos gear and microbrews are common in the fifty-year-old suburban mom set.
LOL true, but how inclusive would your friends have been if you were a single 30 something?

Not picking on you, just illustrating the point that at the end of the day birds of a feather flock together. We seek out people with similar mindsets and interests. I don't know if that problem is endemic to Denver or not.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:19 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,358,417 times
That knife cuts two ways. My next door neighbor is a single woman. Despite my many overtures to get to know her, she is very stand-offish. So maybe the key to fitting in is to be a middle-age mom? We're a friendly group!

Old 07-17-2015, 08:20 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,574 times
Yes, I'm only a second generation "native", however, I have 5th generation native great-grandchildren on the way!

I think some of the "native pride" thing, in my perspective, has to do with transplants talking down to me, like I don't know about what's up in my own state. I think this is because the assumption is that I'm a transplant too.

Example, when I moved into my current neighborhood 10 years ago, my neighbor across the street (from Houston) would lecture me on how "dry it is out here" and how frequently to water my lawn. No kidding? As I told him previosly, I'm a native! My next door neighbor (from Chicago) would warn me about the early freeze and when to clear my sprinklers. Yeah, I know, remember I'm from here!

But I hold no animosity whatsoever against folks who move to Colorado for a better life. Most bring with them a positive, optimistic attitude that benefits everybody. Besides, "some of my best friend are Californians."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver