Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 01:35 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,868 times

Advertisements

I lived in Nederland and worked in Broomfield in the middle 70's. I left in 75. I went for a visit in 2012 and could not believe the difference. Too much growth. Too many people. Too much traffic. Just plain too much. My daughter lives in Denver and loves it. Not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 02:03 PM

Location: I roam around. Spend most my time in the West or the Northwoods.
132 posts, read 180,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Kellogg View Post
Phoenix has scorpions. I don't do scorpions.
With continued climate change, Denver will have scorpions someday. They are already at the southern western borders of Colorado.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:12 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
Remember also that this is tourist season - weekends in tourist season is a whole other level of busy compared to weekdays and other times of year.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:28 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Tree View Post
With continued climate change, Denver will have scorpions someday. They are already at the southern western borders of Colorado.
Saw one in the basement of a friend's home here in COLO SPGS....about 3 years ago....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:30 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggnm View Post
I moved here a few months ago (from only a few hundred miles away) and knew Denver was pretty busy, but I guess I've been surprised at how busy things are outside of Denver. Whether I've been in Denver, Lakewood, Ft Collins, Salida, 25, 285, 93, Golden, Hwy 8, it just seems there's always traffic... even pretty late in the evening. And the traffic moves ok, but I guess I wasn't prepared for the sheer number of people here. I should say though that this is the first time I've worked a M-F job in many years, so I have a weekend-er schedule now, which makes things worse.

I also wasn't prepared for how car-dependent I'd be here. Previously, I'd only use a car for recreation, that that seems more of a challenge here due to the spread out nature of things.

So all this makes me wonder what it will be like on 20 years and if I really want to stick around in a place that is this busy NOW. I can't imagine what it will be like at the time I'll be retiring. I'm considering moving back to where I was living previously, which has great access to southern/western Colorado (which isn't quite as plagued by such the busy culture). Does anyone else feel like this?

I love the nice people and nice things to to, but hmmm there are a lot of us (;
I like "busy". There's only something like 4 million people along the Front Range. Having moved here from the LA area, it's not crowded to me. If you're used to small town/rural living, then I suppose it might seem crowded in Denver.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:32 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I got out of Denver almost 20 years ago, because it got too crowded me then. I don't even want to think about what it would be like to live in Denver today. Growth in Colorado has been rampant out of control for the last 40+ years, and the Governments have been unwilling to do anything to stop it. I wouldn't expect anything to change in the next 40 years. Welcome to New Los Angeles.
What would you have the government do? Not allow people to move here?

Los Angeles metro area has something like 18 million people. Denver has about 3. Not even close.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:09 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
I felt that the Front Range had become too crowed back in the late 70's, and I moved out to the Western Slope. I returned in the late 90's to be closer to my elderly mother. After she passed, I pulled up stakes and went back to the Western Slope as fast and as far I could go. Someone mentioned that the population on the Front Range is around 4 million? That sounds horrific to me.

As for the future of cities like Denver, I wouldn't bet the farm on it. The population growth and climate change will cause the major metro areas of the West to run out of water - probably sooner than we like to think. Plus population growth on the Front Range is going to bring down the quality of life there with every passing year of growth and more growth. And yes, Colorado has scorpions. I'm beginning to see more and more of them as the climate becomes warmer. They'll be hanging out in Denver soon. Might as well move to Phoenix.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:32 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
According to this there are 3 species of scorpions found in Colorado. Growing up in Craig we saw them all the time. They're mostly small (under 2" in length), and their sting is painful, but harmless.

http://www.wci.colostate.edu/Assets/...loradoOct8.pdf

Old 07-20-2015, 10:39 AM

531 posts, read 1,146,332 times
Yup, it's crowded. That's what happens when you have a state that is awesome. If you want to get away from the crowds, you have to get away from the front range.

Last edited by TechMike; 07-20-2015 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: bluescreen73 beat me to the punch about scorpions.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:43 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I felt that the Front Range had become too crowed back in the late 70's, and I moved out to the Western Slope. I returned in the late 90's to be closer to my elderly mother. After she passed, I pulled up stakes and went back to the Western Slope as fast and as far I could go. Someone mentioned that the population on the Front Range is around 4 million? That sounds horrific to me.

As for the future of cities like Denver, I wouldn't bet the farm on it. The population growth and climate change will cause the major metro areas of the West to run out of water - probably sooner than we like to think. Plus population growth on the Front Range is going to bring down the quality of life there with every passing year of growth and more growth. And yes, Colorado has scorpions. I'm beginning to see more and more of them as the climate becomes warmer. They'll be hanging out in Denver soon. Might as well move to Phoenix.
I think people are exaggerating the water problem. Desalinization in the future will solve pretty much any water problem rest assured humanity will find a way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver