Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 08:24 PM

142 posts, read 250,888 times

Advertisements

I moved here a few months ago (from only a few hundred miles away) and knew Denver was pretty busy, but I guess I've been surprised at how busy things are outside of Denver. Whether I've been in Denver, Lakewood, Ft Collins, Salida, 25, 285, 93, Golden, Hwy 8, it just seems there's always traffic... even pretty late in the evening. And the traffic moves ok, but I guess I wasn't prepared for the sheer number of people here. I should say though that this is the first time I've worked a M-F job in many years, so I have a weekend-er schedule now, which makes things worse.

I also wasn't prepared for how car-dependent I'd be here. Previously, I'd only use a car for recreation, that that seems more of a challenge here due to the spread out nature of things.

So all this makes me wonder what it will be like on 20 years and if I really want to stick around in a place that is this busy NOW. I can't imagine what it will be like at the time I'll be retiring. I'm considering moving back to where I was living previously, which has great access to southern/western Colorado (which isn't quite as plagued by such the busy culture). Does anyone else feel like this?

I love the nice people and nice things to to, but hmmm there are a lot of us (;
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 08:39 PM

117 posts, read 137,737 times
Interesting because I find life in Denver slow and laid back. I guess it's all relative.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezy303 View Post
Interesting because I find life in Denver slow and laid back. I guess it's all relative.
Indeed. And most of the people I've met that have moved here from eastern states or CA feel the same. The west is laid back. Which is why I've always stayed in this area.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:27 PM

Location: I roam around. Spend most my time in the West or the Northwoods.
132 posts, read 179,712 times
You raise a good point and one I think about often. Denver is on fire right now... young people moving to the area and they will raise families here. Good for growth. But what does that mean for quality of life? Denver is about to go through some huge growing pains. I predict that there will be more hubs in the future, similar to Chicago or Atlanta. You might live in "Atlanta", but you really live in Cumming and only really go to Atlanta a couple times a year for special occasions. Otherwise, your job, life, school, entertainment, etc. are in your little 5-mile radius. The other thing you will see is growth in cities like Boise, Springs, SLC, and Spokane. Why? Because people will realize that they like the high plains life of Denver (weather, no bugs, etc.) but they aren't fans of sitting in a traffic jam on Saturday morning when they want to take their kids hiking. A town like Boise will be the beneficiary of folks why try Denver but decide to go elsewhere.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:05 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,970,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggnm View Post
I moved here a few months ago (from only a few hundred miles away) and knew Denver was pretty busy, but I guess I've been surprised at how busy things are outside of Denver. Whether I've been in Denver, Lakewood, Ft Collins, Salida, 25, 285, 93, Golden, Hwy 8, it just seems there's always traffic... even pretty late in the evening. And the traffic moves ok, but I guess I wasn't prepared for the sheer number of people here. I should say though that this is the first time I've worked a M-F job in many years, so I have a weekend-er schedule now, which makes things worse.

I also wasn't prepared for how car-dependent I'd be here. Previously, I'd only use a car for recreation, that that seems more of a challenge here due to the spread out nature of things.

So all this makes me wonder what it will be like on 20 years and if I really want to stick around in a place that is this busy NOW. I can't imagine what it will be like at the time I'll be retiring. I'm considering moving back to where I was living previously, which has great access to southern/western Colorado (which isn't quite as plagued by such the busy culture). Does anyone else feel like this?

I love the nice people and nice things to to, but hmmm there are a lot of us (;
I got out of Denver almost 20 years ago, because it got too crowded me then. I don't even want to think about what it would be like to live in Denver today. Growth in Colorado has been rampant out of control for the last 40+ years, and the Governments have been unwilling to do anything to stop it. I wouldn't expect anything to change in the next 40 years. Welcome to New Los Angeles.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:08 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,970,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Tree View Post
Good for growth. But what does that mean for quality of life?
Interesting contradiction. If growth is good, then why do you even have to ask that question?

Old 07-18-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I got out of Denver almost 20 years ago, because it got too crowded me then. I don't even want to think about what it would be like to live in Denver today. Growth in Colorado has been rampant out of control for the last 40+ years, and the Governments have been unwilling to do anything to stop it. I wouldn't expect anything to change in the next 40 years. Welcome to New Los Angeles.
Thanks for your perspective. My mom moved away from CO about the same time you did and she said the same thing about Denver (she lived in Alamosa). I am glad for everyone that comes here for jobs, because jobs/employment/growth are generally positive for people. I'm able to work more/less anywhere given what I do (healthcare), so am not tied to living here.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:29 PM

Location: I roam around. Spend most my time in the West or the Northwoods.
132 posts, read 179,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Interesting contradiction. If growth is good, then why do you even have to ask that question?
Clarification in order. Growth is good for any local economy. But that doesn't automatically translate to quality of life. Texas has been growing faster than any other state in the Union over the past 15 years. But there are many, many places that I would suggest have superior quality of life to Texas.

Growth is good. But it isn't everything.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:04 PM

3,394 posts, read 4,565,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Tree View Post
Clarification in order. Growth is good for any local economy. But that doesn't automatically translate to quality of life. Texas has been growing faster than any other state in the Union over the past 15 years. But there are many, many places that I would suggest have superior quality of life to Texas.

Growth is good. But it isn't everything.
Texas has been growing faster than Colorado because their local economy perhaps is better? Quality of life is exaggerated if one cannot afford to live in the area (Denver) and can succeed in Texas or Arizona where cost of living is cheaper.

How is Denver being less populated area more crowded than Phoenix?

Old 07-19-2015, 02:22 PM

380 posts, read 649,145 times
Phoenix has scorpions. I don't do scorpions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver