Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:14 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-duh-hoe View Post
There are plenty of jobs here. I was paid full relocation just to come and work here because of the lack of local talent! I now have a full time job and a part time contract job from home. By the way, I have a degree in construction management and am in the construction industry.

Good for you!

Old 08-12-2015, 09:15 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
Even the staffing agencies can be a joke (to put it nicely) at times. I'll call the one I'm with by it's first letter A, which could also stand for other words. The place tries to make itself out to be a world-class contracting agency, but it's anything but that. There are no benefits, or even chance of benefits. There is ever-changing turnover in the A office, no communication, unreturned calls, etc. For being a CO organization connecting with CO businesses (and in the high tech industry, no less), the quality is much lower than I encountered in the south. Stated inversely, pay rates and job growth potential were higher in the south. Go figure...

The issue isn't a lack of jobs per se. It seems to be a lack of strong business/industry growth (maybe due to too high COL and taxes) and the resulting strained atmosphere and number of quality positions available. I'm sure there are many though - including on this forum - that have great jobs and are doing well, and probably see no problem at all. Also, if someone has lived here all his or her life, it will be hard to see the contrast with other locations, and that it could be a lot better.
Yes, this was my experience with staffing agencies. I worked through two of them for a total of 3.5 years after losing my F/T job in the recession. And the jobs I held were middle management, higher paying (around $40 per hour). The first agency was Aerotek, and the person who managed the entire office was my contact (I suspect because most of the jobs they had were much lower paying, and they wanted to go out of their way for me) and she did things like take me to lunch now and then. And I actually got some paid vacation through Aerotek after a year. The second job was through another agency, and I heard noting from anyone ever. I had to call them and tell them that my contract was being extended on two occasions, and they just said, "oh, thanks for letting us know". They had high turnover, and their "benefits" included health insurance that was extremely high deductible where the employee pays 100% of the premium, and a paid time off policy that was rigged so you could never get any. (You had to work X number of hours in the past 6 months in order to get the paid time off, but you would have had to work every single week day for 8 hours every day in order to qualify. Not many people can go without any days off ever!)

Anyway, the agencies do suck, overall. But it got me to the F/T job I was looking for, eventually.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:08 PM

5 posts, read 15,992 times
I have first hand experience that market for tech jobs has been consistently smokin' hot for the last 4-5 years. I have anecdotal evidence that folks in construction are doing well.

Beyond that, it kinda feels like it's a scratch & claw for every penny kind of world. It seems like every year, a bigger % of people are working jobs that are paying (and carrying prestige) beneath what they feel they are worth...but I think that trend is hardly limited to Denver - seems as though it's happening all over.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:20 PM

12 posts, read 9,439 times
Should not have a problem, most 'Middle Aged Professionals' are very seasoned, knowledgeable, having good work ethics. Why? Cause they've made it thus far! And hiring MAPs gives companies a higher advantage, more experience dealing with clients.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:12 PM

9 posts, read 12,051 times
Yep, just depends on the industry. Denver actually has one of the better job markets in the nation at the moment.

Last edited by iMWaiting; 08-13-2015 at 05:32 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 08:32 PM

64 posts, read 67,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
OP - You asked the question, "Anyone actually hiring in Denver?" Multiple people have said yes and given examples of their experiences and what worked for them.

Since then, you've pretty much just told us all the reasons you can't get a job. Would you like our advice on landing one, or do you just want to vent on your own situation?

Frankly, your attitude seems to be holding you back right now and you need to get that working for you if you want to find something acceptable. And hey, that happens. People lose their 'mojo' - you just gotta get it back!

Well no, I am not interested in advice since most "advice" is along the lines of go on craigslist or play with linked in, whereas I need a job not to make some recruiter money or to constantly fill out applications and assessment tests and background checks that lead nowhere...

Old 08-13-2015, 08:34 PM

64 posts, read 67,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
OP, I'm still curious why you've seemingly eliminated the legal field completely? Have you been disbarred or something? I mean, even if you didn't apply on motion for admission here, you could certainly find something as a paralegal using your existing skill set instead of trying to get into an entirely different field.
Not disbarred, just don't like the adversity of law and dealing with judges and cops. And no, if I apply for a paralegal I am told they don't want an attorney or that I need to be bilingual or some other excuse.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:59 PM

557 posts, read 811,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLar View Post
Well no, I am not interested in advice since most "advice" is along the lines of go on craigslist or play with linked in, whereas I need a job not to make some recruiter money or to constantly fill out applications and assessment tests and background checks that lead nowhere...
1) Welcome to applying for a job (seriously?)

2) Second time, USAJOBS.GOV

Old 08-14-2015, 03:51 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLar View Post
Help me understand this....

So, you hop on this forum, and complain about the job situation in Denver, yet you don't want to fill out applications, go through a temp agency, or look in any other places for employment? Is this correct?Seriously, how in the F did you make it through law school?

Old 08-14-2015, 10:35 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Why not do a little self-studying and take the EA exam? A lot of EA's are also attorneys. Good market all over for EAs, and in the tax field, age is a benefit.

Enrolled Agent Program
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver