Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 10:44 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Actually, I think Irvine is a very nice city, no one I know puts down Irvine. Sure there are a few smug people in Newport Beach, one of the most affluent places in the country and the world, but I'm not sure its the same level of smugness that I sense in Denver.

There are many people in Newport of extraordinary wealth, but don't think that real estate prices are a result of their own genius. They recognize prices reflect demand because of the goldilocks climate, natural beauty, safety, world class amenities, and rarified shores. There are few places like it in all the world.

There are a number of Denverians who boast endlessly about real estate, talk ad nauseam about how their home in Stapleton went up. How their place in Parker just went up again. They seem to erroneously believe real estate prices somehow reflect their innate genius, rather than fortuitous timing. Usually with that glimmer, that twinkle that belies an innate smugness. It's arrogance and its too bad because the Denver metro I think would be better than that. I get it, some people are smug, everyplace has them, its just that Denver seems to have reached a tipping point. Others have noticed, and the very responses to this thread seem to indicate that my observations have been true.

Just my thoughts, while I didn't want to compare locations Newport Beach is a bit more humble low key in comparison to its actual position and desirability. If anything, it underplays itself.

Don't get angry, Denver acts just a bit cocky (smug). It kind of overstates its desirability without acknowledging any of its deficiencies. (i.e. boasting about 300 days of "sunshine" a year.")
<sigh>

Well I guess someone on this forum has to get us riled up.

* You say "no-one you know puts down Irvine." Well, I knew people all the time in the L.A. Basin that put down Irvine. My vague anecdote against yours. Meaningless.

* "They recognize prices reflect demand because of..." Hmm...I see. So Denver isn't like this at all. It's not because of our Mountain Skyline, easy going weather, plethora (I said it) of parks and activities, vibrant downtown and neighborhoods, an engaged community, numerous festivals and parades and superb location in the middle of the country. No. Newport Beach people simply recognize their good fortune at being near "rarified shores." Denverites, however, are "smug."

* "There are a number of Denverians..." wait...Denverians? OK...call us what you will, but we more frequently use the term "Denverites." More importantly, however, WHO ARE THESE DENVERIANS that talk "ad nauseam" (sic) about their real estate genius so arrogantly? "Some people say..." isn't exactly a convincing piece of evidence. Sounds like "weasel words" by generalization.

For the record, I've known plenty of people from "Newport" (their words) that were quite smug. They were also quite rich. But that doesn't mean "Newporters" on the whole are smug.

Yes, we're defensive. Everyone is constantly reminding us that we're not a "world class city." That we're no "San Fran", "NYC" or for that matter even "Seattle." Thing is, WE never said we were. We like where we live and think it's pretty cool. Yes, we have some marketers pushing silly phrases like "300 days of sunshine", but every Chamber of Commerce does that. It doesn't reflect what actual Denverites like about this place, though. You'd be defensive, too, if people were always ragging on the place you lived...and liked...a place that makes you feel good about waking up every morning. That's hardly "smug."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 10:51 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,093 times
I really hate to burst everyone's bubble here, but y'all in Denver are just amateurs when it comes to smug. You want real, professional smug? Go read the Dallas forum for a couple of hours.

OMG.

Denver forum? I'd say you're more giddy about your home values. Which is OK. Giddy is happy. Smug is, well, just smug.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:16 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,614,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I really hate to burst everyone's bubble here, but y'all in Denver are just amateurs when it comes to smug. You want real, professional smug? Go read the Dallas forum for a couple of hours.

OMG.

Denver forum? I'd say you're more giddy about your home values. Which is OK. Giddy is happy. Smug is, well, just smug.
OK, lock thread now.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,601 times
Default Yes, I've noticed this

I've lived here since 1964, and for 3 years in the '50s. You can bet this is a recent "phenomenon." We didn't used to be this way, but as more-and-more people moved here from other less-desirable places, people adopted an attitude because they felt they'd finally "made it." And with that feeling comes smugness. If you moved here from Cali, you are unknowingly part of the problem, not the solution, so I'm not sure it's appropriate to complain. Now, for those of us who have lived nearly our entire lives here, we do hold this right. Denver has changed, and mostly not for the better, but yet and still, I suspect the same can be said of most-any other metropolitan area. People in general are angrier, moodier, less considerate, and just plain rude all across the country. I believe, to a large degree, this mirrors the political and religious environment to which we are all subjected, and we don't take positive action to change any of it by being kinder, gentler and more understanding of our fellow citizens. The climate in our country is meant to bring us down, and it is doing just that!

Old 09-29-2015, 01:42 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,221,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubjoe View Post
I've lived here since 1964, and for 3 years in the '50s. You can bet this is a recent "phenomenon." We didn't used to be this way, but as more-and-more people moved here from other less-desirable places, people adopted an attitude because they felt they'd finally "made it." And with that feeling comes smugness. If you moved here from Cali, you are unknowingly part of the problem, not the solution, so I'm not sure it's appropriate to complain. Now, for those of us who have lived nearly our entire lives here, we do hold this right. Denver has changed, and mostly not for the better, but yet and still, I suspect the same can be said of most-any other metropolitan area. People in general are angrier, moodier, less considerate, and just plain rude all across the country. I believe, to a large degree, this mirrors the political and religious environment to which we are all subjected, and we don't take positive action to change any of it by being kinder, gentler and more understanding of our fellow citizens. The climate in our country is meant to bring us down, and it is doing just that!
Well, yeah, cities grow and change with the times. If I still live in Denver 50 years from now, it'll be quite different from today, as will society in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver