Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:23 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Zero connection between Forest City (one r) and Confederate General Forrest (two r s).
So what is your point?
My point was one of nerd humor revolving around the concept of homonyms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 10:12 PM

59 posts, read 100,617 times
It's laughable that this even made the news, everyone not originally from New England knew this.

Let it pass.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:14 PM

59 posts, read 100,617 times
Change Stone Mountain in Atlanta to Rainbow Ridge!

Old 08-11-2015, 08:25 AM

572 posts, read 552,164 times
Quote:
In the 1920s, the Klan moved in many states to dominate local and state politics. The Klan devised a strategy called the "decade," in which every member of the Klan was responsible for recruiting ten people to vote for Klan candidates in elections. In 1924 the Klan succeeded in engineering the elections of officials from coast to coast, including the mayors of Portland, Maine, and Portland, Oregon. In some states, such as Colorado and Indiana, they placed enough Klansmen in positions of power to effectively control the state government. Known as the "Invisible Empire," the KKK's presence was felt across the country.
The Ku Klux Klan in the 1920s . Fatal Flood . WGBH American Experience | PBS

maybe a fairly large re-naming effort - depending on how many political type folks from the 20s have been memoralized

Old 08-11-2015, 09:19 AM

384 posts, read 507,824 times
My thought is still that yeah - they rename it. Just put up a statue somewhere of someone ALSO named Stapleton and declare the neighborhood is named after them.

Any candidates for an acceptable role model named Stapleton?

Old 08-11-2015, 09:39 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I was personally on the fence. I could see the arguments that we should look to the future, not the past, and the community was named for the airport and the association with this individual has been lost over time. And that while Stapleton isn't very diverse, it's probably more diverse than a person like him would have been happy with (said as a Jewish woman, so I am sure he'd be just thrilled about my family! lol!) Plus the logistical nightmare and what would be a huge expense for both the MCA and for individual businesses, etc.

But the more comments I've seen from people opposed to changing the name and the reasons why, the more disgusted I've gotten, and now I wholeheartedly support changing the name of my community.
These are my feelings as well. I had no clue the name was associated with the KKK until maybe 3 or 4 years ago. At this point, I certainly don't associate the neighborhood name with the KKK. My family is interracial and we have experience zero racism in Stapleton. May Stapleton would probably hate what Stapleton represents today. So one option is to remove the name (could be expensive, as you pointed out). Plus, old habits die hard. What would we call it? Or would we just use the individual neighborhood names, that no one else in the metro area even knows? If we dropped "Stapleton", and someone at work asked me where I lived, I would say I lived in "Eastbridge". Then, after they asked "where's that", I'd say, "in the old Stapleton airport development".

OR..... just thinking out loud here... why not try to turn the word "Stapleton" into a representation of anti-racism, inclusion, tolerance, etc.? I mean, nobody thinks Stapleton is some KKK enclave today (and it certainly isn't!). It's known for being quite liberal and tolerant. I don't know how you'd market it that way, but maybe it could work.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
I wonder how Stapleton would feel about the road MLK Blvd running through a neighborhood named after him?

I would suggest changing the name. I don't think many people (including myself) really knew nor cared where the name came from, and there's enough of the population that find it offensive.
lol! Never thought about that. I think Stapleton is doing a good job of sticking it its namesake. But whatever, change it if it upsets a large amount of the population.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by step33 View Post
My thought is still that yeah - they rename it. Just put up a statue somewhere of someone ALSO named Stapleton and declare the neighborhood is named after them.

Any candidates for an acceptable role model named Stapleton?
I vote for Jean Stapleton!

Old 08-11-2015, 09:45 AM

One other thought... isn't Walker Stapleton a descendant of the KKK Stapleton?

Old 08-11-2015, 09:49 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
One other thought... isn't Walker Stapleton a descendant of the KKK Stapleton?
Yes, his grandfather.

And he's also related to the Bush family - the Walker in George Herbert Walker Bush is the same family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: