Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 09:58 AM

33 posts, read 42,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 528646 View Post
...the good thing is the system worked and the board has been put back in its place. Hopefully no long-term damage has been done to the district - I know they've lost a lot of teachers and DCSD has surely lost a lot of goodwill with a significant % of the citizenry, but this looks like it could play out as a "no harm, no foul" kind of situation over the next 5-10 years as things (hopefully) normalize.
From what I read the district plans to appeal the CO Supreme Court's decision. It sounds like there's a good chance this isn't over yet.

Colorado Supreme Court squashes Douglas County school voucher program | FOX31 Denver

Douglas County School leaders expressed disappointment after the decision, but they said they’re far from giving up.

“We have always believed that the ultimate legality of our choice scholarship program would be decided by the federal courts under the United States Constitution,” Douglas County School Board President Kevin Larsen sad. “This could very well be simply a case of delayed gratification.”

In the meantime, the district revealed plans to move forward with a modified voucher program.

“And if there are ways of proceeding immediately, that are compliant, we will do that,” DCSD Board Director Craig Richardson said. “Even as we consider bringing the United States Supreme Court into the picture.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 10:21 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl0206 View Post
From what I read the district plans to appeal the CO Supreme Court's decision. It sounds like there's a good chance this isn't over yet.

Colorado Supreme Court squashes Douglas County school voucher program | FOX31 Denver

Douglas County School leaders expressed disappointment after the decision, but they said they’re far from giving up.

“We have always believed that the ultimate legality of our choice scholarship program would be decided by the federal courts under the United States Constitution,” Douglas County School Board President Kevin Larsen sad. “This could very well be simply a case of delayed gratification.”

In the meantime, the district revealed plans to move forward with a modified voucher program.

“And if there are ways of proceeding immediately, that are compliant, we will do that,” DCSD Board Director Craig Richardson said. “Even as we consider bringing the United States Supreme Court into the picture.”
They better start moving forward now because there is a chance some of them may get voted out soon.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:54 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
Funny,
I don't recall the Boulder school board shutting down parents at meetings, or that teachers from BSD are leaving at the same rate. Just Saying.
I don't recall that either, but like I said earlier, Boulder leans left. I'm sure there are parents who find Boulder's liberal policies annoying, but they knew what they were getting into when they moved to Boulder.

Neither school district hides their agenda, so live where the schools reflect your preferences.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:56 AM

The election is on Tuesday and there is another grass roots effort for three of the seats on the board. I am not sure what to expect this time around. Two years ago it didn't go nearly as expected. One of the people running is a neighbor of mine.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:18 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
We left Castle Rock eight years ago, and I thank my lucky stars every day. It was not for us, and the schools were only one of the issues, although had we stayed, it probably would have become a much bigger part of our reason for wanting to leave. Now in CCSD and very happy about it.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:53 PM

556 posts, read 762,689 times
So I'm looking to move to Highlands Ranch on February and I'm slightly concerned about the schools. My kids are a few years from school age so I'm hoping it will all be sorted out by then, but should I be giving Centennial a closer look?

Old 10-28-2015, 01:57 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
So I'm looking to move to Highlands Ranch on February and I'm slightly concerned about the schools. My kids are a few years from school age so I'm hoping it will all be sorted out by then, but should I be giving Centennial a closer look?
That's up to you. The housing stock is older, but the schools are terrific. I'm very happy here.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyatwork37 View Post
Definitely keep a close eye on the election next week. If the new candidates are elected there could be some change coming but they will still be in the minority. It is a start.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
We left Castle Rock eight years ago, and I thank my lucky stars every day. It was not for us, and the schools were only one of the issues, although had we stayed, it probably would have become a much bigger part of our reason for wanting to leave. Now in CCSD and very happy about it.
We have debated moving to an area within CCSD. Timing hasn't been good though. We are going to stick it out for now. My wife's family all go to schools in CCSD and are thriving.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:02 PM

556 posts, read 762,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Definitely keep a close eye on the election next week. If the new candidates are elected there could be some change coming but they will still be in the minority. It is a start.
So which candidates do I want to win in next week's elections to make the voucher thing start to go away? Basically, who am I rooting for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver