Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 11:01 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,012,697 times

Advertisements

The National Association of Realtors released its 2015 2nd qtr median home prices on 8/11. Denver hit an all time high of 363k. Unbelievable!! This makes Denver more expensive than MANY cities, including crime-ridden Chicago and other bigger towns.

Good news for you home-owners. I'm not sure what's causing this wild inflation of home prices in Denver, but it makes nearby cities like Colo. Spgs. seem more attractive for people like me who want to move to Colo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 03:54 AM

17,672 posts, read 29,570,689 times
Default You answered your own question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
people like me who want to move to Colo.
See above for answer.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:54 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,923,204 times
The OP brings up an interesting point when he mentions crime ridden Chicago. There are parts of Chicago that are very nice, but there are also parts that are incredibly bad. Of course there are neighborhoods that fall somewhere in between. In Denver there aren't the highs or the lows and therefore it's really tough for middle class families because it's their neighborhoods that prices are skyrocketing.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:48 PM

22 posts, read 27,741 times
we are in the process if moving back to "crime ridden chicago". heh. at least there we can afford to buy a nice single family home for under 250k in the western suburbs and not have to fight off 50 other potential buyers or write nauseating love letters to sellers begging them to pick us. i just don't have the stomach for that.

we stuck it out for 2 years here and had a good time, but the skyrocketing housing costs and lack of housing options are not worth it (coupled with insane drive times on 70 to get to/from the mtns). my husband and i make decent livings (we are not broke or starving by any stretch of the imagination) we just don't want to blow $2200+ per month on rent for a single family home nor do we want to live in the NE boonies. and if we stay in CO we have no choice but to rent. sooo, back to the midwest we go.

btw, chicago on the whole is not the cesspool the media hype would like everyone to believe. the increased crime is primarily contained to pockets of the south and west sides of the city (where there have been issues for years). i certainly don't fear for my life when walking around the city, but i know the areas to avoid. not a big deal. the burbs are largely unaffected. sure there are some shady/run down pockets of the suburbs
but that's true where ever you go.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:08 PM

6,360 posts, read 11,805,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anja7 View Post
we are in the process if moving back to "crime ridden chicago". heh. at least there we can afford to buy a nice single family home for under 250k in the western suburbs and not have to fight off 50 other potential buyers or write nauseating love letters to sellers begging them to pick us. i just don't have the stomach for that.

we stuck it out for 2 years here and had a good time, but the skyrocketing housing costs and lack of housing options are not worth it (coupled with insane drive times on 70 to get to/from the mtns). my husband and i make decent livings (we are not broke or starving by any stretch of the imagination) we just don't want to blow $2200+ per month on rent for a single family home nor do we want to live in the NE boonies. and if we stay in CO we have no choice but to rent. sooo, back to the midwest we go.

btw, chicago on the whole is not the cesspool the media hype would like everyone to believe. the increased crime is primarily contained to pockets of the south and west sides of the city (where there have been issues for years). i certainly don't fear for my life when walking around the city, but i know the areas to avoid. not a big deal. the burbs are largely unaffected. sure there are some shady/run down pockets of the suburbs
but that's true where ever you go.
If you are willing to drive as far out from downtown Chicago to get to the western suburbs where its cheaper, couldn't you do the same in Denver and find cheaper housing along the price points you are looking for?
Sounds like you are applying quite a few double standards here. I mean really complaining about congested freeways in Denver when the alternative is Chicago has got to be a joke.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:14 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,549,748 times
I smell smugness in this thread.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:02 PM

557 posts, read 806,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I smell smugness in this thread.
You win the internets today.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:38 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,802,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
If you are willing to drive as far out from downtown Chicago to get to the western suburbs where its cheaper, couldn't you do the same in Denver and find cheaper housing along the price points you are looking for?
Sounds like you are applying quite a few double standards here. I mean really complaining about congested freeways in Denver when the alternative is Chicago has got to be a joke.
Chicago is blessed with good commuter train service. You don't necessarily have to deal with traffic and trade in your car every three years. Oh, Denver is getting it soon? Take advantage when it comes.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:10 PM

22 posts, read 27,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
no, because we are not moving back to chicago for the amenities of the city.

we previously lived in the far NW and far western suburbs of chicago and it suited our lifestyle. i work from home, my husband will be working in the western burbs, and most of our families and friends are in the immediate area. no need to go downtown except for the occasional concert. on the weekends we are either on our motorcycles or bicycles, so we wind up heading north and west towards WI and IA.

yes, traffic overall in chicago is crazy compared to denver, but where we plan to live and play, it's not an issue. i speak from experience when i say that you will very rarely see a 3-5 hour traffic jam heading into WI from where we will be living (unless it's a holiday or something completely disastrous happens). i just checked traffic here and I70 east is solid red from the eisenhower tunnel to idaho springs - as it has been all day and as it is every weekend. :\

believe me, we looked for options out here to buy, but there is nothing that meets our requirements in the denver metro area (3BR, basement, 2 car garage, SFH, no dog breed restrictions) for under 250k that isn't a tear down, a serious fixer upper, or half way to kansas/nebraska/wyoming.

when we first moved out to CO, we lived in brighton for a year. don't care to repeat that experience again. we joke that brighton's motto should be: "brighton...that's far!" because those were pretty much the first words out of everyone's mouth when we told them where we lived. lol.

i'm not bitter or complaining...i'm pretty realistic about the situation: we can't afford it, so we are leaving. the market is what it is and we simply got here too late.

Old 08-16-2015, 05:25 PM

26,122 posts, read 48,737,202 times
anja, if it's not too late, why not look at COLO SPGS.

I just checked our local MLS (Colorado Springs Real Estate - Official MLS Listings - PPAR.com) and there are many hundreds of 3/2/2 homes under $250 including many in excellent school districts. These are not scrapes in any way.

Here's a 4/3/2 with full basement in a nice area.

Here's another one that might work for you, looks like the basement is finished.

Traffic here is nothing like Denver or Chicago.

Some of these homes are in far northern El Paso County, putting you no more than 40 minutes from the big mall in Lone Tree, an hour to downtown Denver, 30 minutes to downtown COLO SPGS for shows, etc.

I'm not a realtor.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-16-2015 at 05:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver