Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:40 PM

930 posts, read 700,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
As a member of your age group, I disagree. I have never once had a friend try and get me to do it with them.

The only time someone asked me was my neighbor asked me if I wanted to smoke a joint. I politely declined, and we never talked about it again. I still really like my neighbor, and we help each other out. He didn't care that I don't smoke.

I don't know who you're hanging out with, but you should try hanging out with different people.
You disagree that the people I have hung out with have tried pressuring me into smoking weed? I don't understand.

I'm not saying everybody is like this in Denver. I do have one friend in particular (age: 34) who smokes weed every day and he's always respected my wishes. However, I'm saying that I've definitely seen a stronger presence of this behavior here than in anywhere else I've lived or visited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 01:45 PM

531 posts, read 1,146,332 times
I guess I should say, I disagree with your implication, after all, you were basically implying that everyone in the 20-30s age bracket is a heavy pot user.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechMike View Post
I guess I should say, I disagree with your implication, after all, you were basically implying that everyone in the 20-30s age bracket is a heavy pot user.
Heavy pot users? No, I wasn't. I'm only saying that if you want to avoid the pot culture here, it may seem difficult. There are pot shops everywhere, seemingly every other mile up the road. At the majority of parties I've been to, there's a plume of weed smoke somewhere in the venue. You're going to be asked if you "want a hit" probably multiple times throughout the evening. It can be kind of annoying if that's something you want to avoid altogether.

I'm just saying that the culture is very much out in the open, in your face here as opposed to other places I've visited or lived. If that's something you're not comfortable with, then it's probably not the best place to be.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:53 PM

49 posts, read 54,509 times
I'm in your age bracket and this hasn't been my experience at all. I think saying something like it will be hard to avoid is a little much.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktqtpi View Post
I'm in your age bracket and this hasn't been my experience at all. I think saying something like it will be hard to avoid is a little much.
The presence of pot is fairly prominent in the city of Denver. Not sure about Superior, as that's kind of the boonies/outskirts of town.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:03 PM

386 posts, read 605,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver303TJC View Post
I think if your biggest worry about moving to Denver is how much weed smokin' you'll encounter, that's a good sign that things aren't that bad in Denver.
I don't think that's my biggest worry. I just don't live there and know what it's like so I'm trying to get a feel for it. People smoked weed at my high school in Boston, people smoked weed at college in South Carolina and I survived so that's not really a big worry. I'm not pro-pot but I also recognize that it is a legal right and people can do whatever the heck they want to do. Some of the worries I do have about the issue have been brought up and that's the fact that I'm in my early 20s (and people in my age group are mainly pro-legalization) but Denver is a huge city so I'm very comfortable with the fact that I can find friends who respect my stance on the issue and won't shove it in my face. I'm just trying to gauge what's going on in Colorado with regards to marijuana so all of this feedback has been helpful! Definitely not a deterrent but just something I was curious about.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:16 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
Heavy pot users? No, I wasn't. I'm only saying that if you want to avoid the pot culture here, it may seem difficult. There are pot shops everywhere, seemingly every other mile up the road. At the majority of parties I've been to, there's a plume of weed smoke somewhere in the venue. You're going to be asked if you "want a hit" probably multiple times throughout the evening. It can be kind of annoying if that's something you want to avoid altogether.

I'm just saying that the culture is very much out in the open, in your face here as opposed to other places I've visited or lived. If that's something you're not comfortable with, then it's probably not the best place to be.
In some concert and/or bar venues it is the same whether you are in Colorado or not, it has always been that way. It is not a Denver thing, nor is it a Colorado thing. In fact I was pressures to smoke weed just last week in south dakota, I rented a cabin over the weekend and the people next door insisted that I had to smoke weed, after all I was from Colorado and they wanted me to test their stuff to compare it. 4 times they asked in 2 days, before they figured out I had no interest.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
In some concert and/or bar venues it is the same whether you are in Colorado or not, it has always been that way. It is not a Denver thing, nor is it a Colorado thing. In fact I was pressures to smoke weed just last week in south dakota, I rented a cabin over the weekend and the people next door insisted that I had to smoke weed, after all I was from Colorado and they wanted me to test their stuff to compare it. 4 times they asked in 2 days, before they figured out I had no interest.
But don't you see the correlation?

All I'm saying is that the pot presence and culture is strong here. More so than any other place I've ever lived or visited in the US. If you're not comfortable with that, as I'm sure some people aren't, then this area might not be the best place to live.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:09 PM

286 posts, read 351,686 times
I know correlation is not causation, but I lived in Denver for 5 years, moved last year, and went back to visit friends and family this summer, and there was a noticeable uptick in visible young homeless people throughout Denver, both on city streets and at highway offramps. It's not that there weren't any before, but there are more now than there were before. And I'm comparing against the same exit/streets I would drive nearly daily before.

I think some of it is MJ culture. Some of it is just that people think Denver would be a cool place to live and come unprepared for the high COL compared to where they're from. Some of it is other factors, I'm sure.

That's my anecdote for the thread. Not trying to imply anything about any single person or any group. Just telling you my perception, which I am fully aware is just that - my perception.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:10 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,559,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philberf View Post
I know correlation is not causation, but I lived in Denver for 5 years, moved last year, and went back to visit friends and family this summer, and there was a noticeable uptick in visible young homeless people throughout Denver, both on city streets and at highway offramps. It's not that there weren't any before, but there are more now than there were before. And I'm comparing against the same exit/streets I would drive nearly daily before.

I think some of it is MJ culture. Some of it is just that people think Denver would be a cool place to live and come unprepared for the high COL compared to where they're from. Some of it is other factors, I'm sure.

That's my anecdote for the thread. Not trying to imply anything about any single person or any group. Just telling you my perception, which I am fully aware is just that - my perception.
I honestly think the homelessness has much more to do with opioid addiction than pot. Opioid addiction (both prescription pills and heroin) is at unprecedented levels right now.

You don't see too many homeless pot heads, but smack addicts? Those guys and gals are all over the streets.

Chart: Colorado among states with growing heroin, prescription drug abuse problem | CPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver