Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 08:43 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times

Advertisements

If Denver's rents are high - then how the hell is Dallas "affordable?" Median rent in Denver is only $60 bucks a month more than Big D. Small price to pay to not have to live in a sweaty armpit like the Metroplex.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:47 AM

930 posts, read 700,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If Denver's rents are high - then how the hell is Dallas "affordable?" Median rent in Denver is only $60 bucks a month more than Big D. Small price to pay to not have to live in a sweaty armpit like the Metroplex.
My GF moved from Dallas last year and she said it was considerably cheaper than Denver as a whole.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:49 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
My GF moved from Dallas last year and she said it was considerably cheaper than Denver as a whole.
I lived there for 12 years. You get what you pay for - especially this time of year. I wouldn't go back if you doubled my salary and gave me a house. There's absolutely nothing redeeming about North Texas - unless you're into shopping, chain restaurants, and skanky lakes.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I lived there for 12 years. You get what you pay for - especially this time of year. I wouldn't go back if you doubled my salary and gave me a house. There's absolutely nothing redeeming about North Texas - unless you're into shopping, chain restaurants, and skanky lakes.
I thought the whole joke was that nobody from Texas talks about North Texas. I didn't think Dallas was considered a part of North Texas. At least that's what my GF told me.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:24 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymSleepTravel View Post
I've been in Denver for 4 years, and the number of new apartments going up is similar to what I've seen in bigger metros. I'm seeing this in the city and outside areas. Impressive, but been in the same under $700 condo since I've moved here and don't plan to move unless it's out of state.

But, my thing is...where are all these people at? Because as it stands....the overall vibe to me in Denver is very sleepy. I live 10 miles west of town, and it's all just families/kids. On an average night out during the week east of downtown/caphill, the bars are half empty. On the weekends it may be full, but I end up running into the same people. The new people just don't seem available or it's very cliquish.

Aside from that, from a financial perspective, it seems like the average single person here is barely getting by. One guy told me of how he rides his bike now everywhere because he can't afford to register his tags. But yet, he's working round the clock. I don't get it. Most people here seem to not want to really care to spend on things that aren't dog and outdoor related.

And diversity, where is it? It's kind of isolating when I go out to mid/upscale restaurants...whether it be downtown or in the suburbs, it's usually a majority White or similar crowd. I've gone to places from DTC to downtown, and it's all the same. You can count the 1 or 2 who aren't, but that's it usually. That to me makes me think maybe the opportunity and privilege here is reserved for the majority, whereas others aren't getting in. That's very similar to places like Kansas City and St. Louis on the yellow brick I-70.

Personally, I can't. I hear it's supposed to be Chicago-like here in a few years, but I don't really care for Chicago in that way. If anything, I think Denver will be like Las Vegas mixed with Kansas City and a taste of Chicago. You have the legalization of something mostly illegal in other states, but with the Kansas conservative approach. But you have the Chicagoland housing/hotel/rental car prices soon to hit, and everything else
So it sounds like you're basing your opinion of the metro area off your specific suburban location? "Sleepy" is certainly not how I'd describe Denver, but I live in the actual city of Denver. It took as 50 min. to get from Cherry Creek to home in Stapleton last evening (traffic was literal gridlock half the way), and we checked two restaurants in CC that had over an hour wait to get a table, so we ended up eating near home. And within Stapleton, you can hardly get in to decent restaurants on the weekends anymore.

As for diversity, I see plenty of it, but then we live near the racially diverse parts of the city. Maybe you should explore areas outside of the Applebees in Lakewood.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:04 AM

4 posts, read 4,041 times
Look at the traffic

Old 08-21-2015, 12:36 PM

117 posts, read 138,543 times
Quote:
..Go over to Parker and Havana, and you'll find a large influence of Southeast Asian cuisine and markets..
Not to nitpick but the vast majority of businesses in this area are Korean which is not Southeast Asian. It's basically Denver/Aurora's Koreatown. Just sayin'.

Quote:
..Diversity is going to be found more or less on the outer edges of the city it seems.
This is true for every major city I've lived in. It's just how it is in this day and time. You can fill in the blanks on why.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezy303 View Post
Not to nitpick but the vast majority of businesses in this area are Korean which is not Southeast Asian. It's basically Denver/Aurora's Koreatown. Just sayin'.
There's also a large presence of Bengali and Indian restaurants/markets. Hence, SE Asia. Just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezy303 View Post
This is true for every major city I've lived in. It's just how it is in this day and time. You can fill in the blanks on why.
Not exactly. In other major cities, they have ethnic centers within the cities. Mexicantowns, Greektowns, Chinatowns, Little Italys, etc. Denver's city core has nothing of the sort. All the ethnic centers are in the suburbs.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:16 PM

286 posts, read 351,629 times
The most ethnic diversity I ever saw/heard in Denver was never in downtown/city park/wash park/botanic gardens. It was in the Costco on Havana in Aurora. It was around Federal and Alameda/Mississippi, 225 and Parker. It's nestled in northern Aurora (east and west of 225 around Colfax).

I do not consider the western suburbs particularly diverse.

It is definitely more crowded overall (city and suburbs) based on traffic, rent/home prices, and other signs of population growth.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:31 PM

117 posts, read 138,543 times
Quote:
There's also a large presence of Bengali and Indian restaurants/markets. Hence, SE Asia. Just sayin'

Not exactly. In other major cities, they have ethnic centers within the cities. Mexicantowns, Greektowns, Chinatowns, Little Italys, etc. Denver's city core has nothing of the sort. All the ethnic centers are in the suburbs.

Yet you leave out the vast majority of the population of that corridor, which is NOT Southeast Asian. Just sayin'. Large presence of Bengal and Indian businesses? I think not. Especially in comparison to the amounts of Korean businesses in that area. This is not a debate. It's fact.

And outside of San Francisco, NYC, Los Angeles, DC (even this is iffy) and maybe a few outliers, the city centers of the majority of major cities within the US are not racially diverse. Period.

*edit* I just did a quick search of Bengal and Indian businesses near the Havana and Parker intersection and could only locate one Bengal buffet and not a single Indian anything anywhere near there The more you type the more you come across..

Last edited by Deezy303; 08-21-2015 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: wtf?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver