Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 02:45 PM

117 posts, read 138,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by philberf View Post
Ok, it's not great, but it's not "hardly palatable."

Super Star Asian and Star Kitchen come to mind as reasonably acceptable dim sum, and that's coming from having eaten a lot of dim sum for decades in CA, TX, and Hong Kong.
Agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 04:00 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
I see lots of native Chinese people every day... of course that's when I drop off my children off at school where they're in Mandarin immersion I have no idea where all the teachers live/shop/eat though. I would imagine around central Denver, but not in any ethnic community.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:41 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,123,489 times
First of all, Asia is a large continent with many different cultures. The OP asked for Chinese/Taiwanese populations.

The Federal cluster is Vietnamese as is the Westminster cluster. There is even a Vietnamese Catholic Church near I-70 and Harlan. There are also a decent number of Vietnamese children in Catholic schools and churches along Federal (All Saints) and Sheridan (Notre Dame) and in public schools like Lincoln HS. The Vietnamese and Chinese share a continent, but not a culture.

The Havana cluster is largely Korean, and the same applies here. Koreans and Chinese are not the same.

Easiest way to find where the Asian population is living is to check this map, but it includes all Asian, including Chinese, Indians, and even Palestinians. You'll need to zoom into Denver.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 5,743 times
Thanks for all the input, everyone! Understood that there's no actual Chinatown or the like here, but it'd just be nice for them to situate somewhere where they can meet/befriend people with similar backgrounds without having to drive all over the place.

I'll definitely take a look at the suggestions here. For what it's worth, I've had some of the dim sum here and a lot tasted pre-packaged and/or frozen. But still tasty. =)

Thank you!

Old 11-21-2015, 11:05 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
I was going to ask about the Chinese community in Denver as well. I found the metro area in 2010 was home to ~18k Viet, ~16k Chinese and ~13k Korean, which should mean ok cultural representation. Sounds to me though that only the Viet and Korean are somewhat clustered. And maybe there's no great Chinese food anywhere?

Hoping to find a walkable area to live in with decent carless access to some Chinese stores/restaurants.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:23 AM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,867 times
Some good Asian American organizations in Denver:

Asian Pacific - Supporting Refugees and Immigrants in the Metro Denver Area

NAAAP Colorado

Home - Asian Chamber of Commerce

Asian Avenue Magazine » Connecting Cultures, Linking Lives

I hope that this helps.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:06 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,370,228 times
Have to agree with this (in red). Denver is diverse in nationalities, but not nearly as much as some other cities in the U.S., like some West Coast/California cities. However, the low "diversity" didn't bother us. We just aren't into all different types of cultures.
But, when we needed the emissions system worked on, on one of our vehicles, we drove to garage in Westminister that done the job. Going to that garage and leaving it, wife and I both noticed a number of Asian restaurants and grocery stores. Actually, we were surprised at the number we saw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
I've met a few Taiwanese, but I wouldn't say that all asians are clumped together. Everyone lives all over the city. The three areas with a lot of Asians are Aurora, along Federal Blvd and Alameda, and Thorton. The Dim Sum is ok here, but what do you expect without a Chinatown. Most of the proprietors are Vietnamese. If you want a large Taiwanese community you need to stick to the coasts.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:55 PM

24 posts, read 23,813 times
Have them go to Lao Wang noodle house on S Federal and ask the owners of that establishment where the Taiwanese people hang.

Oh, and get some dumplings while there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver