Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:22 AM

145 posts, read 208,510 times

Advertisements

I will be interviewing at the end of the month for a position located in Golden. It is just my wife and myself (though my brother and father live in Longmont). We currently reside in Butte, MT so the weather there is a non-issue (I walk a mile to and from work every day, including -35 degree days). Similar climate to Butte as well - hot and dry, or cold and dry, but nice and sunny much of the time.

I've lived in DC, SoCal, etc, so I understand that while housing costs in the Denver area are high, they are nothing like the DC or SoCal area (of course they are much worse than Butte, where we have a 3500 SF Victorian mansion built in 1905 that is in perfect shape and cost less than $125,000.

Of course it is also Butte and while we both like it here, there isn't much for my wife (who is European and has a PhD in design) to do.

Add to that I'd likely take a small pay cut with the new job in CO, though we'd be able to add to our income by her working.

I see, however, that we could not afford to buy in Golden. Our price range is about $350k tops. I also abhor a commute (see above re: walking to work). I could commute 30 minutes I guess and deal with it.

We looked at some homes (online) west on Hwy 72 and in that area that claim a 30 minute commute to Golden. Feasible? Even in winter?

What about reverse commuting from Denver to Golden?

The sales tax (gotten so used to having none in MT) will be a hit, too.

The job is a dream job (on paper at least, will meet and interview later this month) and the added bonus of the wife being able to work in her field (potentially) is a plus - and we have visited Denver and like it a lot. But the COL is a definite concern, as is the commute and places to live.

I would also like to try to buy almost immediately, as finding a place for two people plus two dogs plus ....well....a house and garage and shop full of crap to rent and then be in a rental situation for some time is a detractor as well.

Yes I'm rambling...but thoughts? Advice? My job here in Butte is perfect but after 2 years and my wife finding absolutely nothing in her field it's starting to wear on her happiness.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 11:28 AM

3,116 posts, read 5,028,435 times
I would go for something like this:
17203 W 16th Pl, Golden, CO 80401 | Zillow

There are pockets of Golden that fit your budget.

If you want to look further out I would look south into Lakewood near Green Mountain. Something like this:
http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...3_zm/?view=map
or
http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...3_zm/?view=map
Nothing worse than driving east in the morning into the sun or west in the evening. Try for a north/south commute if you have one.

Last edited by mic111; 09-03-2015 at 11:37 AM..

Old 09-03-2015, 11:46 AM

11,820 posts, read 34,369,257 times
Golden or Lakewood, maybe Wheat Ridge - is work close to light rail? RTD

Old 09-03-2015, 12:02 PM

26,179 posts, read 48,912,824 times
IIRC there's a light rail line serving the Golden area, might obviate some / much of your commuting issues, and her's as well.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:25 PM

387 posts, read 636,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IIRC there's a light rail line serving the Golden area, might obviate some / much of your commuting issues, and her's as well.
There is kinda-sorta-not really light rail to Golden. There's a stop at the Jeffco County Government center, but that's it. If the job isn't with county government, it is possible to take light rail then a bus to wherever the job site might be. Even then, there's very few buses, and using the Golden Call and Ride would be best. Since the OP was asking about living up Coal Creek Canyon (OP, that's Highway 72), there's a regional bus that also stops at Highways 72 and 93 that goes into Golden.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:51 PM

Thanks.

I really don't want to take light rail, or a bus. After living in DC for 15 years I'm done with public transportation (though it's great! Go Public transportation!). I really prefer to drive (since I can't walk), or motorbike it, but would prefer keeping that under 30 minutes (a true 30 minutes, not the realtor's 30 minutes).

I appreciate the replies so far.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:54 PM

Stay within 10 miles of work.

p.s. I had no idea that Realtor time was different than anyone else. After 26 years of service, I learned something new!

Old 09-03-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Stay within 10 miles of work.

p.s. I had no idea that Realtor time was different than anyone else. After 26 years of service, I learned something new!
Ha. I saw a house listed and asked a buddy who lives near it actually. The realtor time was 30 minutes to downtown Golden. He said sure - at 2 am, on a cloudless summer night, with the entire Denver metro area evacuated for the plague and no cars on the road. Otherwise it's an hour.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:06 PM

I have a lot of posts here. So I do not recommend looking at all of them. But nobody here would ever suggest I exaggerate on commute times. I am most conservative. I embrace the work to live, rather than the live to work lifestyle.

DC's transit subway system may be bigger, but Denver's light rail is nicer. I know because I was born and raised there.

Old 09-03-2015, 05:28 PM

322 posts, read 524,211 times
Lakewood is going to be your best bet and provide the most options under $350K. Arvada is also nearby and has some options in your budget. Both of these options keep your commute short and provide your spouse a solid home base for her job search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver