Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:52 AM

17 posts, read 49,552 times

Advertisements

Where are the friendliest places to live with great schools. Specific neighborhood recs. appreciated! TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 11:53 AM

739 posts, read 2,948,359 times
too open ended of a question
suburbs or city?
where do you work?

Old 01-29-2008, 12:01 PM

sorry, I did that on purpose to get a feel for the entire Denver area. Office will be in Broomfield. We would like public schools, so school district is important. Really no preference on city vs. burbs.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:12 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
I'd live in Boulder.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:20 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,362,313 times
Rock Creek might have something for you...you could ride a bike to work if not having to rely on a car is important to you...very close to Boulder, Flatiron Crossing mall, etc.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:14 PM

226 posts, read 1,219,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I'd live in Boulder.
ditto this.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .gif View Post
ditto this.
...what are your political leanings? Boulder is a love/hate thing with most folks around here. It's not worth the premium cost of living and weirdo politics, IMHO. You can visit Boulder and live elsewhere, then you'll have more money to hand out to the derelicts who'll panhandle you on Pearl St.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:15 PM

Thanks! I have heard that Boulder leans left, true? I may not fit in there. Are any of the school districts more desirable for resale? Are any areas selling in less days on the market than others? I have been told to look around Louisville, Lafayette, parts of Broomfield, Superior, Niwot, Boulder and Erie. By perusing this site, I am intrigued with Lowry and Stapleton. I really want a nice friendly place with tons of kids and social adults! Thanks for all of the responses so far, please keep 'em coming!

Old 01-29-2008, 03:23 PM

Lowry & Stapleton are pretty nice from what I hear...sort of trying to use the concept of 'smart, walkable' communities...however I think most folks will still be commuting to the city and outlying areas for work. I think both are on light rail routes...but not sure...I don't get down there much. A friend who left here a couple years ago and is coming back just closed on a place at Stapleton...he was pretty much able to work them for all sorts of upgrades and come away with a screaming deal...they are pretty motivated to move those properties, I guess.

Boulder...love it or hate it, beautiful place, kooky people, kooky politics. Fun place to visit and people-watch, hang out, good dining, great recreation, but...it's Boulder...the Berkeley of the Rocky Mtns.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-29-2008 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: merge 2/1

Old 01-29-2008, 03:53 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,697,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twochicklets View Post
Thanks! I have heard that Boulder leans left, true? I may not fit in there. Are any of the school districts more desirable for resale? Are any areas selling in less days on the market than others? I have been told to look around Louisville, Lafayette, parts of Broomfield, Superior, Niwot, Boulder and Erie. By perusing this site, I am intrigued with Lowry and Stapleton. I really want a nice friendly place with tons of kids and social adults! Thanks for all of the responses so far, please keep 'em coming!
Unfortunately, my knowledge of specific neighborhoods (especially in the central and southern portions of the metro area) is not good, so I can't comment much on those. Regarding northern metro, there are many areas where one can purchase homes in your price range. I would suggest searching a local MLS website in cities you indicated in the post I'm replying to (although as other posters stated, Boulder is very much love or hate). Superior is beautiful, but it is rather crowded, as most of the population is concentrated in an area bounded by US 36 to the east and north, McCaslin to the west and CO 128 (W 120th Ave) to the south. Flatiron Crossing Mall is the main draw to the area, along with its pedestrian-friendly strip malls and restaurants (some are quite good). Many CU college students on the higher end of the income scale reside in the several apartment/condo complexes adjacent to the mall. I lived in this area for several years and it has become extremely busy. There are several great walking trails and wide open spaces west of McCaslin (bordering the Rocky Flats site). Homes in the area range from the $300s to well over $1,000,000. The views of the mountains are some of the best along the Front Range (Longs Peak with the Flatirons in the foreground to the northwest is stunning from this area). You will hear MANY people refer to Superior as "Rock Creek" (the main subdivision in the area); this gets old really fast.

Almost all of the suburbs surrounding the Boulder area offer a wonderful lifestyle, imo. All are great for raising a family, all have maintained a decent housing market, all are near the mountains with beautiful views and all have good highway access to other parts of Denver. Home prices vary (with Boulder being the most expensive), but $750,000 to $1,200,000 will buy you a very nice place in any of the cities in this area. Shop around and you're bound to find something you love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver