U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 935 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am a 20 year old college student getting a degree in computer networking specifically network security. I am fortunate to have an aunt who lives in Denver and would not mind helping me while I get on my feet by letting me stay with her. She lives in the Denver aurora area. My biggest issue with where I live now is there isn't much to do and the people aren't to friendly / I don't feel like I fit in much. (I live in South Carolina but not close to the beach) I had a parent in the military so I've moved around my whole life and seen all the different kinds of weather which doesn't both me. So my biggest concerns are meeting people / making friends, school, and finding a job. I have found a college that I can transfer to which solves the school issue and just leaves the other two. I am interested in knowing how easy or hard it is to find or get a decent job.

If anyone wouldn't mind giving me their opinion that would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 12:37 AM

13,949 posts, read 20,196,196 times
What school in Denver?

Old 09-30-2015, 02:11 PM

238 posts, read 615,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith260 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am a 20 year old college student getting a degree in computer networking specifically network security. I am fortunate to have an aunt who lives in Denver and would not mind helping me while I get on my feet by letting me stay with her. She lives in the Denver aurora area. My biggest issue with where I live now is there isn't much to do and the people aren't to friendly / I don't feel like I fit in much. (I live in South Carolina but not close to the beach) I had a parent in the military so I've moved around my whole life and seen all the different kinds of weather which doesn't both me. So my biggest concerns are meeting people / making friends, school, and finding a job. I have found a college that I can transfer to which solves the school issue and just leaves the other two. I am interested in knowing how easy or hard it is to find or get a decent job.

If anyone wouldn't mind giving me their opinion that would be much appreciated!
Denver does have a pretty nice technology presence with some of the big names like HP, Oracle, Intel, Google, and Microsoft having offices spread throughout the state.

Are the number of opportunities or job openings nearly as extensive as California or the Pacific Northwest? No.

There is also a very strong Government and Defense Contractor presence in the state if you are eligible for a clearance.

With all of the above said, there is a lot to do in Colorado if you enjoy the outdoors. (Hiking, biking, rock climbing, snow sports, horseback riding, fishing, etc.) If you're more of an indoors type of person there are still a number of diverse activities, *cough* lots of craft beer, to involve yourself in although you may want to expand your scope to other cities... I'm thinking the Northeast or west coast.

Young professionals who do not have families are typically focused in Boulder, downtown Denver, and Golden.

Best of luck!

Old 09-30-2015, 08:11 PM

112 posts, read 94,038 times
I'd say go for it! Regardless of where you are you can probably still get downtown or to other places where there are people your age.

When I was a 20 year old working towards a computer degree I worked for Best Buy's Geek Squad Repair service center way out by DIA and lived in Aurora in a couple different apartments. Then I found a job in the DTC. Most of my friends were in the Western Suburbs or SW Denver where I grew up, but I made a ton of friends from work. In the office building I was in at the DTC, I didn't see many people under 25 in the cafeteria though. There weren't many at the closest Starbucks either minus the employees. But I had co workers in their 30s who were fun to hang out with.

Anyways, there was a lot to do and regardless of where you are it is all pretty accessible. My husband (then boyfriend) and I would drive straight down Colfax to get to nightclubs on the weekend and it didn't take more than 15 minutes usually from Aurora. From where I lived in Lakewood it was about 15 minutes as well. I never felt far from the action or bored. (Though most of my time was working or homework)

I had one boyfriend who lived right behind a Hooters in Aurora so we would hop the fence. He was also in walking distance to the Stampede (a country themed club) and other things. We even took a day trip to Boulder by bus and walked to the nearest restaurants, coffee, etc. He was a real outgoing, active, happy hippy type from Seattle and his main complaint was the traffic on the highway and distance/time it took. He seemed to have a lot of friends and had only been here a year.

It's pretty easy to make friends here and neither my husband nor I have ever had problems finding employment. I've met people at work, school (I went to Red Rocks CC & Metro), in apartments we've lived in, concerts, night clubs, bars, coffee shops, and even a gas station that I've gone on to be friends with. I met my husband my first night at a club actually. My husband and I agree it's much harder as married parents to meet suitable friends than it was before!

The only thing I would caution you on is COL in regards to housing. 4 years ago I could rent a 1 bedroom for $680. The same unit is now $1350 online and not even in a desirable area. I'm sure it's okay with roommates or whatever, but you probably will need a decent job to live alone. Buying here is also not friendly to those early in their career and not making over $100k. Most homes in the sub $300k price range are in the less desirable (not horrible) parts. I know people with degrees making $15/hr working help desk after college, and living with their parents. But, if you're okay having roommates then I wouldn't worry too much. Good Luck!

Old 10-01-2015, 02:39 PM

531 posts, read 912,411 times
Plenty of positions in IT in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or