U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 02:33 PM

79 posts, read 85,991 times

Advertisements

Started my job while my family remains behind in NYC for a couple of more months. That's been very hard--as many posters here warned me--but I've had business in NYC so that's made it a bit more palatable.

My corporate housing is in the city in a tower, where everyone has at least one dog. Denver loves dogs--every time I'm in the elevator humans are outnumbered by dogs. When my wife/kids visited I chuckled as those in the building fawned over the dogs and glared at my children.

I really like your light rail. My job is in the tech center and the rail has been very useful.

And it is really, really dry. Wow.

Now I need to do some of the hard stuff--neighborhoods and schools. My colleagues are trumpeting Cheery Creek but I can't really get a sense for it except for the giant shopping mall. What are some streets that you'd recommend checking out? Other city neighborhoods with parks and walking distance amenities?

Also, is anyone familiar with those large, loft-looking buildings around the train station? They look intriguing.

We have relatives in Golden and Stapleton, but those areas would make for a bad commute for me and we'd prefer to be in the city anyway.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 02:41 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,618,037 times
You are confusing the Cherry Creek School District with the Cherry Creek area in Denver. Beyond the names (and that of the creek called Cherry Creek) there are no similarities. You can Google a map of the Cherry Creek School District, which will probably just confuse you even more because it is so spread out.

If you list your criteria, we can probably help with your question about neighborhoods. For example:
1. Budget
2. Location. Your job is in the DTC, so you probably want to be within driving distance unless you want to keep taking the light rail.
3. Walkability.

"Large loft-looking buildings" around which train station?

Old 10-05-2015, 05:28 PM

369 posts, read 839,672 times
They might be pushing you towards the Cherry Creek creek area in Denver, as it's fairly dense and has a good neighborhood elementary school called Bromwell and a good high school East High.

You can use this to get the Bromwell boundaries:

DPS School List Map

Try 7th and Columbine to get an idea of the housing.

Or they meant Cherry Creek school district, which is huge and encompasses a bunch of different towns and areas. I can't think of much high density housing in that areas - maybe bits of old Aurora, but those schools aren't great. Check this out to get an idea of the coverage:

District Map (Click on image for full size map)

In general, Denver has zoned high density buildings around all the the light rail stops. So you'll need to be more specific about which one you mean. Union Station is the big one downtown and has lots of new housing, but not much for families and the public schools in downtown aren't great. There are big building at the Greenwood Village light rail stop, but they're not really set up for families - although the schools are probably decent.

Basically, high density housing and excellent public schools are almost impossible to come by. Bromwell might be your best bet...

Old 10-08-2015, 07:05 AM

Location: I roam around. Spend most my time in the West or the Northwoods.
130 posts, read 139,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton13 View Post
When my wife/kids visited I chuckled as those in the building fawned over the dogs and glared at my children.
Thank you. I've had the same observation. Problem is, I'm afraid that even pointing it out will put me on some sort of black list.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:33 AM

898 posts, read 987,392 times
Denverites love their dogs!

Luckily we fit right in, being a DINK couple with two dogs. Kids will come... someday... maybe...

Old 10-08-2015, 09:18 AM

52 posts, read 60,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denver_hacker View Post
Basically, high density housing and excellent public schools are almost impossible to come by.
Do Stapleton's small lots count as high density housing? The schools are excellent.

Note that I'm not actually recommending someone working in DTC to move to Stapleton. I'd look somewhere in the Cherry Creek School District and base it off of the commute.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:23 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikataganai View Post
Do Stapleton's small lots count as high density housing? The schools are excellent.

Note that I'm not actually recommending someone working in DTC to move to Stapleton. I'd look somewhere in the Cherry Creek School District and base it off of the commute.
I live in Stapleton and work in Lone Tree. It's not that bad... typically a 40 min. commute. And I work from home one day a week, so that helps.

Old 10-08-2015, 09:28 AM

52 posts, read 60,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I live in Stapleton and work in Lone Tree. It's not that bad... typically a 40 min. commute. And I work from home one day a week, so that helps.
That'd kill me slowly. I've dealt with bad traffic for too much of my life on Long Island and in Seattle. That said, several of my co-workers live in south Aurora/Centennial/Lone Tree.

I'm already lamenting the loss of my nice Eastbridge -> Anschutz commute for the upcoming Willow Park East -> Anschutz commute. All routes seem to be terrible about 5 PM, except when on the bike on the Sand Creek Greenway...

Old 10-08-2015, 09:35 AM

14,174 posts, read 23,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikataganai View Post
That'd kill me slowly. I've dealt with bad traffic for too much of my life on Long Island and in Seattle. That said, several of my co-workers live in south Aurora/Centennial/Lone Tree.

I'm already lamenting the loss of my nice Eastbridge -> Anschutz commute for the upcoming Willow Park East -> Anschutz commute. All routes seem to be terrible about 5 PM, except when on the bike on the Sand Creek Greenway...
I've noticed the bridge on CPB is horribly backed up around rush hour. The morons built the foundation for the other two lanes on that bridge, but didn't build the actual bridge So they manufactured a bottleneck.

We moved here from L.A., so I'm used to horrible traffic. At least I can work from home, and if it snows, I won't even try to drive down there.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:53 AM

20,975 posts, read 11,624,951 times
Apparently Stapleton isn't "in the city"?

OP, I think there may have been some specifics given in your prior thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver