Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 03:08 PM

34 posts, read 50,247 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have been lurking the forums for Denver, Boulder, Springs & Collins.

Thought the Colorado thread would be best to put this question out there.

Looking for advise on where to live/retire...I'm only 55..so not really retiring until someday???

About me...

Moving with my Golden Retriever...selling most of my furniture and starting fresh.
Will be paying cash for a house 250k-325k
I have owned a pet sitting biz for 15 years and will open one up in Colorado. I speak dog and have always done well.

I have been thinking about the Springs b/c of the cost of living/real estate/property taxes. I have been hearing mixed reviews. Military, conservative, religious etc... I am more liberal and free thinking. I am not worried about the Government there as I heard they stay on their part of town.

Any opinions on the Springs?

I am also looking at...

Fort Collins
Longmont and surrounding areas...cant afford Boulder and will not pay those prices
Loveland

Any opinions on the above area or any new areas you could suggest?

I feel I can afford the real estate in these places. Just wondering what the demand for pet care is in these locations. I will visit for three weeks in Nov.

If anyone can chime in and give their opinion/advise I sure would appreciate it. It would save me some time/gas driving around. I would like to spend some time in the mountains. After all, that's one of the reasons I am moving to Colorado.

I have read a lot of complaints about people moving to your great state and messing it up. I will provide a valuable service to the people of Colorado that own dogs. I speak dog and will be volunteering for the Golden Retriever Rescue as I have done for the last 20 years.

Thank you in advance for your honest opinions and recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 03:33 PM

17,709 posts, read 29,812,481 times
1. Longmont to Fort Collins.
2. The western part of greater Denver. For example, Lakewood, Golden (noticed how I worked that in here?).

Colorado Springs is socially conservative and the "make my taxes zero" crowd has caused municipal spending to plunge below "just keeping up".

Old 10-25-2015, 03:40 PM

39 posts, read 40,793 times
Wow. I live here right in town and I can never get any real rest on the weekend. So much dang noise.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:52 PM

Sorry Lacey, but I think your ears are ringing.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:01 PM

Thanks Dave,

I am looking in Lakewood and Littleton. Will take your advise and research Golden. I have been there before, just don't know if it is big enough to make some capital.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:31 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
There are nearly 20,000 people in the incorporated Golden area. Is that big enough for you?

Golden is just a part of the bigger Denver metropolitan area. Even if you were based in Golden, you could be providing services in Lakewood, Wheat Ridge, and Denver, as well as the much larger unincorporated areas of Jefferson County.

Have you looked at the existing pet sitting services that currently advertise on-line? Seems that would be a good place to start.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:00 PM

Thanks Dreaming, just looked at Golden and not to many homes for sale there. I need a home as I do fostering for the Golden Rescue. Yes, I have looked at web sites and they have given me some ideas. I will keep an eye on all the areas.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:15 AM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,461 times
What about living where you think the best opportunities are for a dog sitter? When I lived on the other side of the country we had a neighbor who had a similar business, and she never left the neighborhood. It seemed to work really well for her.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:03 AM

Hi Brown dog,

You must be a dog lover Where I live now, I do that. I don't go 6 miles from my house. I will find the town to live in, then find the neighborhood. My problem is the cost of real estate. I come from the south and you get so much more bang for your buck. I know I have to give some stuff up and I am so ok with that. Anything to get out of the south!!! I wont be making the move until summer of 2016. I have time and hopefully the bubble will burst in Colorado.

Thanks a Ruff!

Old 10-26-2015, 09:03 AM

77 posts, read 127,422 times
I can't say I know just how many pet sitting bizs there are in Denver metro, I know of a handful and use one of them myself. I would imagine that it's a very much in demand type of business here with the huge influx of people moving here monthly and large number of pet owners. If it were me I would focus on the wealthly and affluent areas of town as those people including myself are willing to spend money and pamper their animals with homecare and pet walking. Greenwood Village, Highlands ranch, Cherry Hills, Littleton, Cherry Creek, Centennial etc.. There is plenty of money in this town waiting for you if you do your homework. I think you will do well.. Of course you must stand out as a top notch pet sitter as well. I don't expect the real estate bubble to burst for awhile. This place is on "Fire" you could say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver