Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 01:49 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,255,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
That's not what he meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Did you mean the option to pay higher interest rates instead of paying PMI?
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 01:50 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I wasn't trying to nitpick I was trying to lower my insurance cost. I think it is $1600/yr without earthquake protection and $2000/yr with so I'm out of luck because you are posting rates from other states. State Farm loves us so much they are currently replacing our hail damaged roof and skylights.
The intent of my numbers was just to numerically explain how someone could afford a house of a certain amount using actual data and explain that in terms of how a bank looks at the problem. The insurance amount was just a broad, basic assumption for which number to plug in. Taxes and insurance are just property dependent stats - they would need to be updated to reflect any specific property. The number was not intended to be any kind of barometer for what a specific pre-existing homeowner should pay in taxes or insurance.

Houses here tend to have low insurance rates because the land value is overwhelmingly high relative to the value of the structure. If you own a 600k house in a very suburban Denver area with a 500k replacement cost and the land is worth, say, 150k, you will pay a much higher insurance rate than if you own an inner city bungalow with a 200k replacement cost and a 450k land value.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Makes you wonder how people afford more than a kid or two. We have two, and they're expensive! But then I'm making it a point to save for their college so they don't have to go through what I did to pay for it.
A friend of mine has 4 kids, and another one has 6. They are doing fine.

A lot of Mormon families have a lot of kids. They've got it figured out. Among those that I know, the father works hard and smart while the mother stays at home. Definitely feasible.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
The intent of my numbers was just to numerically explain how someone could afford a house of a certain amount using actual data and explain that in terms of how a bank looks at the problem. The insurance amount was just a broad, basic assumption for which number to plug in. Taxes and insurance are just property dependent stats - they would need to be updated to reflect any specific property. The number was not intended to be any kind of barometer for what a specific pre-existing homeowner should pay in taxes or insurance.

Houses here tend to have low insurance rates because the land value is overwhelmingly high relative to the value of the structure. If you own a 600k house in a very suburban Denver area with a 500k replacement cost and the land is worth, say, 150k, you will pay a much higher insurance rate than if you own an inner city bungalow with a 200k replacement cost and a 450k land value.
Interesting.

I guess that makes up partially for the relatively high property taxes in Washington State.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Google, "wells fargo 10% down zillow" and you will see plenty of hits. From wells and other banks. This site is notorious about deleting links to other sites. I don't know what the product is called but there are plenty of lenders on sites like zillow and trulia that can probably refer you to various options.
That's very help. Thanks for sharing!

So far I've found only 10% down for jumbo loans, which I guess would apply to a 600k house.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:59 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Where in Denver is property tax 1.25%?
Stapleton
Reunion

Old 10-09-2015, 02:12 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,234 times
Quote:
That's very help. Thanks for sharing!

So far I've found only 10% down for jumbo loans, which I guess would apply to a 600k house.
At lower price points there are different sets of options that are often government supported. So those will vary more based on your state and municipality, and sometimes profession. Often there are more options than people realize from looking at web sites. I realize sales people generally suck to deal with but it can be useful to reach out to a mortgage person, especially since mortgage standards have softened in the last 2-3 years.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:16 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Whatever happened to living within your means? Or better still, well below your means so you can grow your wealth?
Maybe growing their wealth is not everyone's goal in life? I put money into retirement, I put money into savings. And I live in a house that I feel I can comfortably afford. However, I could have easily bought something for less money, although not too realistically in my location (Stapleton).

I put a value on my location and in particular, the excellent public schools that made it worth it to me to spend more money for a better quality of life now, rather than to live in a manner and place that is less desirable to me in order to "grow wealth." Some people are only focused on now, some people are (IMO) obsessed with the future and retirement at the cost of their current lifestyle. I tried to find a balance that works for me.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:23 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,831,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
'merica!
Which is such a joke.... America is one of the cheapest places to live. You don't need to spend much to have a great house/car/lifestyle.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:23 PM

4,027 posts, read 2,711,590 times
*shrug* All kinds of ways, really.

Myself, I don't make six figures, and some were surprised at the price tag on the house that I'm in the process of buying (it's less than $300K, but most of my family are in areas of the country where housing is cheaper, so to them, the price I'm paying is huge), until you consider:

1.) I've been in my current house for 15 years--so a lot of equity built up.

2.) I sold said house for $50K more than what I paid for it.

3.) I got a 3.75 rate and a VA loan.

4.) I don't have a lot of debt.

My mortgage is going to go up, no doubt, but it falls well within my budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver