Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 03:08 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,193,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
That's my point, there is a population of those here, but this locale is not the best for them, so it is unlikely to best serve the request of Mr Polymath.
I could be wrong, but Mr. Polymath would probably fit in well with the hipster crowd, which Denver has plenty of. I could see him hanging out at Quixote's (formerly Bender's) or a number of the small live music venues off of Colfax. I feel like Denver has a lot of the eclectic scene here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 05:31 PM

352 posts, read 713,279 times
Holy Carp, the OP asked his original questions in 2008. I don't know about you but a whole lotta water went under the bridge for me in the past 8 years.

Old 06-29-2016, 03:31 AM

511 posts, read 402,155 times
Quote:
Based on this, I'd say Denver may not fit the mold for you. Yes, Denver, and Colorado are progressive enough to have voted for legal weed, we have a plethora of craft breweries and distilleries, outdoor recreation by the bucket full, jobs that attract a lot of people, and by simple virtue of the gross population numbers, some amount of musician/creative,weirdo types. However, because of these same factors, we lack a significant percentage of musicion/creative/weirdos types that may best align with the numbers of people that you like/prefer/choose to be around that would be consistent with an active scene of your tastes.
Wait.

What?

I don't follow the logic here in the least...

Old 06-29-2016, 09:30 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
We may have your scene here, but it may not be large enough to sustain your interest for a considerable length of time.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:26 PM
SQL

Quote:
We may have your scene here, but it may not be large enough to sustain your interest for a considerable length of time.
He lives in Scottsdale. I think he'll be fine in Denver.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:47 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,388,318 times
Okay. Cool. I have no first hand Scottsdale experience as well as no Denver hipster experience. Skimming through posts, it seems Scottsdale isn't doing it for him and he's looking for another venue. Since the Phoenix metro is 1 mill larger than Denver metro, I'd think the greater odds of meeting his goals are in the more population rich environment.

But then again, I'd think after 7-8 visits, one would have a bit of an idea of how things look.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:50 PM
SQL

Quote:
Okay. Cool. I have no first hand Scottsdale experience as well as no Denver hipster experience. Skimming through posts, it seems Scottsdale isn't doing it for him and he's looking for another venue. Since the Phoenix metro is 1 mill larger than Denver metro, I'd think the greater odds of meeting his goals are in the more population rich environment.

But then again, I'd think after 7-8 visits, one would have a bit of an idea of how things look.
You have to think about what demographic Phoenix is attracting. It's always been a (literal and figurative) hotbed for the elderly. Not to say there aren't any young people there. But I've spent a couple summer evenings downtown and it's fairly dead from my experience. Scottsdale is definitely not the spot to meet young professionals. Tempe is probably his best bet, because it's a college town. Outside of that, I just don't know many young people who are like, "Yeah! I've really been wanting to move to Phoenix."

Old 06-29-2016, 06:48 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,862,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
You have to think about what demographic Phoenix is attracting. It's always been a (literal and figurative) hotbed for the elderly. Not to say there aren't any young people there. But I've spent a couple summer evenings downtown and it's fairly dead from my experience. Scottsdale is definitely not the spot to meet young professionals. Tempe is probably his best bet, because it's a college town. Outside of that, I just don't know many young people who are like, "Yeah! I've really been wanting to move to Phoenix."
I just came here from Metro Phoenix where I was for 3 years.

Phoenix has alot of young, married couples with children. It is a very married metropolitan area.

Denver is a very married metropolitan area also but there are some areas that have a moderate amount of singles.

I did work in South Scottsdale though and I have to say I could not believe the amount of women in that city.

It felt like any woman who did not like the cold in Minneapolis, Chicago or South Dakota would end up in Scottsdale.

I can't say the same Denver, although there are certainly alot of women in this state.

There are alot of women in Colorado who have moved here recently but I just have never seen the concentration of women I saw in Scottsdale.

I think the thing about metro Phoenix is that there are very few hipsters there. Denver seems to be a major hipster destination in comparison.

Capitol Hill, Broadway from Colfax to Ellsworth, West 32nd and Lower Downtown is a who's who of hipsters.

Most women in Phoenix either go for the rough, tough-talking, type-A personality guy or they go for the stereotypical Mormon/LDS type guy.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:53 PM

511 posts, read 402,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I just came here from Metro Phoenix where I was for 3 years.

Phoenix has alot of young, married couples with children. It is a very married metropolitan area.

I did work in South Scottsdale though and I have to say I could not believe the amount of women in that city.

There are alot of women in Colorado who have moved here recently but I just have never seen the concentration of women I saw in Scottsdale.

Most women in Phoenix either go for the rough, tough-talking, type-A personality guy or they go for the stereotypical Mormon/LDS type guy.
Yeah, I get that all the time from people, and I'm the last to disagree on the woman situation here... but I'm a steaming pile of ____ to the women around here. They have zero interest in anyone who's not clean cut... even if you're successful in your career.

I can right swipe virtually every profile and never, I mean never, get any matches. I might as well be a burn victim. It's an extremely narrow-minded dating scene.

I'm not an awkward or dysfunctional guy. I've got my proverbial stuff together, but I might as well be roadkill because I'd rather go to a rock show than a Cardinals game. Heck, I'd love to go to a Cardinals game but no one wants to be seen with me.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:10 PM

191 posts, read 230,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Yeah, I get that all the time from people, and I'm the last to disagree on the woman situation here... but I'm a steaming pile of ____ to the women around here. They have zero interest in anyone who's not clean cut... even if you're successful in your career.

I can right swipe virtually every profile and never, I mean never, get any matches. I might as well be a burn victim. It's an extremely narrow-minded dating scene.

I'm not an awkward or dysfunctional guy. I've got my proverbial stuff together
, but I might as well be roadkill because I'd rather go to a rock show than a Cardinals game. Heck, I'd love to go to a Cardinals game but no one wants to be seen with me.
The dating scene is messed up for sure. Average dude nowadays is lucky to get a few matches a week, meanwhile average woman gets literally HUNDREDS of messages a week. It's even worse, since scarcity mentality amongst average dudes means even landwhale 2-4/10's get a similar response rate (100's of messages) as their more attractive counter-parts. Overall it's a sad state of affairs.

Sure seems like a sausage-fest, at least on most of the dating websites. Some of my high school dude friends who moved out to California shortly after graduating have commented that one of the "first" things they noticed was an immediate increase in attractive, available women compared to when they lived here.

If I was getting HUNDREDS of messages a week I would be picky and develop an attitude too, but as a male that just doesn't happen unless you're famous (especially), well-endowed, rich, or some combination thereof. Men and women live in completely different worlds in this country, they couldn't be any more different in their experiences and results with regards to dating.

Learning that even average "plain Jane" women get literally HUNDREDS of responses, messages, and matches per week was a real big eye-opener for me

Last edited by CuriousMiscer; 06-30-2016 at 01:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver