U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 06:14 PM

32 posts, read 35,903 times

Advertisements

Ha! that's a great way of putting it. We lived in bmore for about 20yrs so there's definitely a lot we miss, but a lot more that we don't!

We used Easy Movers which is the local company (based in Glendon) and a division of Wheaton Movers. All in all it went ok. We had used Easy Movers previously for a local move and went back with them (good people- they'll come out and do a free estimate and stuck to it). Not sure where you are in the city, but we were on a narrow one way street and so therefore we had an additional charge as they had to load all of our stuff in a smaller truck to start (they call it a shuttle).

We originally thought we wanted to be to the west of the city (Golden, Arvada), but were not able to get nearly as much house for the price of what we found here in Castle Rock. Most of the affordable homes in that area would have needed quite a bit of renovating to get it to where we wanted it. Prices have continued to increase in the year we've lived here, so as others have said, it might be challenging to find something within 40min of the city (commute time) with your budget.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 07:29 PM

138 posts, read 128,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulmserine View Post
Hello everyone!

We might relocate to Denver from Baltimore in the next two month and I am kind of overwhelmed with all the neighborhoods (but maybe it's just because of our newborn daughter that I am overtired and confused Seriously I would love to get some input in neighborhoods.

I filled out this questionnaire as accurate as possible.

When are you moving? Probably November - January 2015/2016
Where are you coming from? Baltimore, Maryland (originally from Germany)
*Why are you moving? Job relocation
*Where will you be working? W. Colfax avenue, Denver, Co 80202
*Have you been here yet? Not yet

Will you buy or rent? Either, if we can find a good price on a house in a good area will buy, if not, rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? I don't look for a condo. Buying would be around 400K
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? House, monthly rate max. $1800
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Doesn't matter

Do you have a preference of living in the city proper or a suburb? Suburbs

Are you married or single? Do you have children? ------ Married, one four month old daughter
Do you prefer public or private schools? ----- public but it needs to be a good school district
Do you have pets? ------ yes, 2 dogs (Bernese Mountain dogs) and 2 cats (indoor)
Do you want or need a yard? ------- 100% We would love to have a big backyard for the dogs
Are you keeping a car? ----- yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? quiet but with some options for entertainment (movie theater, dining, shopping)

What do you want to be closest to?
Work ---- Not sure how the commute is in Denver, no more than 40min drive in rush hour
Shopping.
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) Trader joes would be wonderful.
Train or subway stations ---- NA

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? We are looking for a nice and safe dog friendly neighborhood with a good school district.
I moved here from North Anne Arundel about 6 months ago. I lived in Locust Point for five years before we moved out to the county. I am living in the Westminster/Broomfield boundary out here. My wife commutes to downtown, and it's about 30-45 mins depending on traffic.

Where in "Baltimore" do you live? Obviously there is a big variation within and between Baltimore City and the counties.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:43 PM

138 posts, read 128,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthree View Post
We moved from Baltimore about a year ago. It's been such a welcome change! I'm not too familiar with your job location so I can't offer much as far as advise, but I will mention a couple things that sort of surprised us.
1. Cost of living- I always thought it was pretty high in Bmore..... then we moved here. Everything from groceries to car registration is significantly higher.
2. We had visited a few times and were familiar with the dry climate, but it definitely takes some getting used to.... we'll be installing a whole home humidifier in the coming weeks before it really gets dry this year.
3. Weather- While I know it was an unusual year, I was not prepared for nearly all of May and the first 1/2 of June to be nothing but rain. It felt like what I imagine Seattle is like!

All those things being said, the friendliness of the people here FAR outweighs any negatives. I am still amazed when I go to the grocery store and the people stocking food say hi and ask how I am. We have made friends so easily and couldn't be happier.

If you have any specific questions regarding the move or any other general comparison questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Feel free to post them here or send me a pm. It's definitely longer than a 40 min commute, but we ended up in Castle Rock and absolutely love it. My one complaint is the school system, but we were able to get into a charter school and it's 100% better this year (I used to teach in a private school in Baltimore, so I'm a bit picky when it comes to schools).
The cost of living in the suburbs here with good schools is significantly cheaper. Broomfield and the desirable parts of Columbia share a lot of the same qualities (including high-level schools), and the price difference is insane. I am renting a nice 2BR townhouse right now with awesome schools for $1640 with a two car garage. If I tried to get the same thing in Columbia I don't see it being less than $2200 a month. I could probably get the same place in Glen Burnie with marginal schools for $1800 a month.

Speaking of Glen Burnie, I could buy a new house with these schools for $500,000 here. That same new house would get me into a bad school district in Glen Burnie. The same house probably costs $700,000 with good schools in a place like Columbia.

Living the the two proper cities is different, but Denver isn't Baltimore. They don't even have neighborhoods I wouldn't walk through during the day there. I can't say the same for large chunks of Baltimore. I love you Baltimore, but man could I find trouble easily there.

The car taxes are only high if you have a newer car, and taxes overall are probably a wash. Income tax is significantly lower here, and they get the offset from sales and luxury-type taxes. Property taxes are pretty comparable to the counties in Maryland, and generally less. If you're used to paying insane Baltimore City property taxes, you'd see a significant decrease.

I also would like to support the difference in disposition of people in the metro area here compared to the Baltimore/DC metro area. People are much happier in general. Kids ride bikes and play outside. Adults get out and do stuff. People aren't constantly trying to take each other out on the roads, even though some locals think drivers around here are "really bad".

Old 10-19-2015, 08:28 PM

2,517 posts, read 3,503,732 times
Quote:
Ok, that is a BIG problem. I never would leave one of my furry friends behind. Do you know where I can easily find those city limits on animal regulations? So not good
The city web sites all list them usually under something like animal regulations. Some realtors have summarized them but I can't post a link as it won't be allowed. However you can google search for them.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppunk View Post
The cost of living in the suburbs here with good schools is significantly cheaper. Broomfield and the desirable parts of Columbia share a lot of the same qualities (including high-level schools), and the price difference is insane. I am renting a nice 2BR townhouse right now with awesome schools for $1640 with a two car garage. If I tried to get the same thing in Columbia I don't see it being less than $2200 a month. I could probably get the same place in Glen Burnie with marginal schools for $1800 a month.

Speaking of Glen Burnie, I could buy a new house with these schools for $500,000 here. That same new house would get me into a bad school district in Glen Burnie. The same house probably costs $700,000 with good schools in a place like Columbia.
You really think it's cheaper? I'm not at all familiar with rentals, but as I recall when we were looking to buy, CR and Broomfield were pretty similar as far as the cost of homes. I haven't spent a great deal of time in Broomfield, but it didn't strike me as an area I'd compare to Columbia. Columbia is pretty unique (and not in a good way in my opinion). The OP is moving from Towson though, not Howard County!

I didn't find housing costs all that much different here in CR from things we looked at in northern Baltimore/Baltimore County, but aside from that, we find our cost of living overall to be quite a bit more. Our grocery bill is significantly higher than it was in bmore, we pay more in sales tax, way more in water (although I realize that may be specific to where I live), a lot more in car registration (yearly about double what we paid in MD vs. what we paid every 2 yrs in MD) and even things like ordering a pizza or other carry out are way higher (almost double even- we could get a great pizza & wing deal for $20 delivered, here we can't get the same for less than $35). I'm always amazed by other posts on here that discuss salaries as the salaries don't necessarily seem where I'd expect them based on the cost of living. Perhaps it's a factor of where we live in CR (Douglas County is one of the highest average income areas), but I've heard from others who have also moved from MD, specifically the Balt. area, that they find the cost of living to be higher too.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:03 AM

6 posts, read 4,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppunk View Post

Living the the two proper cities is different, but Denver isn't Baltimore. They don't even have neighborhoods I wouldn't walk through during the day there. I can't say the same for large chunks of Baltimore. I love you Baltimore, but man could I find trouble easily there.

The car taxes are only high if you have a newer car, and taxes overall are probably a wash. Income tax is significantly lower here, and they get the offset from sales and luxury-type taxes. Property taxes are pretty comparable to the counties in Maryland, and generally less. If you're used to paying insane Baltimore City property taxes, you'd see a significant decrease.

I also would like to support the difference in disposition of people in the metro area here compared to the Baltimore/DC metro area. People are much happier in general. Kids ride bikes and play outside. Adults get out and do stuff. People aren't constantly trying to take each other out on the roads, even though some locals think drivers around here are "really bad".
Wow... these are great information. We live in Towson (Rodgers Forge/ Baltimore County). Safe and nice neighborhood with great school (9/10) Townhouses. I agree - Baltimore has it's charm BUT boy I don't feel safe here (and now having a baby girl I am not happy to raise her here Denver seems like so much safer and we LOVE the outdoors and nature! I looked up some statistics and as it seems in may ways Denver is cheaper than Baltimore, so that is definitely a plus.

I was interested in Broomfield BUT I say that they have some sort of animal limit. We are moving with two dog (Berners) and two cats. Thanks again for all those information - I might get back to you as soon as I know more details (when, how... ha!)

Old 10-20-2015, 07:45 AM

6 posts, read 4,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthree View Post
You really think it's cheaper? I'm not at all familiar with rentals, but as I recall when we were looking to buy, CR and Broomfield were pretty similar as far as the cost of homes. I haven't spent a great deal of time in Broomfield, but it didn't strike me as an area I'd compare to Columbia. Columbia is pretty unique (and not in a good way in my opinion). The OP is moving from Towson though, not Howard County!

I didn't find housing costs all that much different here in CR from things we looked at in northern Baltimore/Baltimore County, but aside from that, we find our cost of living overall to be quite a bit more. Our grocery bill is significantly higher than it was in bmore, we pay more in sales tax, way more in water (although I realize that may be specific to where I live), a lot more in car registration (yearly about double what we paid in MD vs. what we paid every 2 yrs in MD) and even things like ordering a pizza or other carry out are way higher (almost double even- we could get a great pizza & wing deal for $20 delivered, here we can't get the same for less than $35). I'm always amazed by other posts on here that discuss salaries as the salaries don't necessarily seem where I'd expect them based on the cost of living. Perhaps it's a factor of where we live in CR (Douglas County is one of the highest average income areas), but I've heard from others who have also moved from MD, specifically the Balt. area, that they find the cost of living to be higher too.
Thanks again... Hmm I guess it really depends which part of Maryland you are coming from and which part you thinking about in Denver. I guess this is something I have to figure out (but higher cost of living won't keep me relocating anyway). My husband did a lot of research comparing Denver vs. Baltimore and he felt a lot things are cheaper and some are not (like health care, insurance etc.) - but as I said... I guess we have to figure this one out ourselves For us the most important part is to move to a safe place, with good schools and lots of nature but still some options for entertainment (like movies and shopping).

Old 10-20-2015, 08:25 AM

6,937 posts, read 6,545,853 times
Quote:
I thought it would be good to rent at first - maybe a year - to get a better insight. I don't understand why big dogs are such a problem. In my world they are much quieter and easier than most of the tiny dogs

Right now we live in Towson (Rodgers Forge area).
The big dogs are less of an issue than finding a landlord who will rent to someone with 4 pets. That will be a major challenge.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:34 AM

2,517 posts, read 3,503,732 times
Broomfield is OK for 4 pets. Scroll down to the bottom under the category of animal limit.
City and County of Broomfield - Official Website - Ordinances, Animal

Old 10-20-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Thanks again... Hmm I guess it really depends which part of Maryland you are coming from and which part you thinking about in Denver. I guess this is something I have to figure out (but higher cost of living won't keep me relocating anyway). My husband did a lot of research comparing Denver vs. Baltimore and he felt a lot things are cheaper and some are not (like health care, insurance etc.) - but as I said... I guess we have to figure this one out ourselves For us the most important part is to move to a safe place, with good schools and lots of nature but still some options for entertainment (like movies and shopping).
Totally! It didn't stop us either and we have ZERO regrets. However like you, we thought the cost of living would be less, but the reality is we've found it to be quite a bit more (and we lived pretty close to where you're coming from and had private school tuition in the mix while living there!). I neglected to mention insurance- our car insurance always went down in MD (even with living in Baltimore City!) each year, but in the past year our insurance has nearly doubled without any accidents or claims! I was told it's due to the growing number of people in the Denver area (they said it had increased by 20% within the last 12 months), distracted drivers, and the increase in accidents overall in the metro area!

The commute from Castle Rock to the city isn't ideal at all, but if working from home or something like that might be an option, we have pretty much everything on your list. CR allows up to 4 household pets. Schools used to be great, but the current board has created some troubles and things aren't in a terrific place currently. BUT, hopefully the election will bring some new faces to the board and we'll be able to make some changes for the better in the future. There's also lots of charter school options. CR is super safe and has great options for getting out and enjoying nature as well as entertainment (with more coming soon). There's also an amazing sense of community that our neighbors who have moved from other parts of CO have mentioned didn't exist in their former towns/neighborhoods. We also have friends who live in Golden and really love it there, but housing costs there and the surrounding areas (to buy) were significantly higher. We purchased a brand new home and the base price of the exact same home in Arvada was $50K higher and will likely have a major toll road behind it. I definitely wouldn't want to commute from CR to the city, but if there's an option to telecommute or something like that, it's a pretty great place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or