U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:10 PM

138 posts, read 127,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthree View Post
You really think it's cheaper? I'm not at all familiar with rentals, but as I recall when we were looking to buy, CR and Broomfield were pretty similar as far as the cost of homes. I haven't spent a great deal of time in Broomfield, but it didn't strike me as an area I'd compare to Columbia. Columbia is pretty unique (and not in a good way in my opinion). The OP is moving from Towson though, not Howard County!

I didn't find housing costs all that much different here in CR from things we looked at in northern Baltimore/Baltimore County, but aside from that, we find our cost of living overall to be quite a bit more. Our grocery bill is significantly higher than it was in bmore, we pay more in sales tax, way more in water (although I realize that may be specific to where I live), a lot more in car registration (yearly about double what we paid in MD vs. what we paid every 2 yrs in MD) and even things like ordering a pizza or other carry out are way higher (almost double even- we could get a great pizza & wing deal for $20 delivered, here we can't get the same for less than $35). I'm always amazed by other posts on here that discuss salaries as the salaries don't necessarily seem where I'd expect them based on the cost of living. Perhaps it's a factor of where we live in CR (Douglas County is one of the highest average income areas), but I've heard from others who have also moved from MD, specifically the Balt. area, that they find the cost of living to be higher too.
It is interesting that our experiences are so disparate, although I agree with you in that I don't like Columbia, either. I used it as an example because people are familiar with it.

I know property values are generally cheaper in the north Baltimore suburbs than in between Baltimore and DC, so maybe OP won't find as much of a difference. I think it also really depends on whether or not you have kids in both places - you have a lot more options in both places if you don't care about public schools.

For me, anything in southern Baltimore County, northern Anne Arundel County, or Howard County was out of reach for me if decent schools were involved (excluding some more remote areas of Pasadena towards Gibson Island). In this place I have tons of options at the same price range in good school districts.

I think if I had moved from my house in Locust Point, I'd probably think it was expensive (although the schools weren't good when we were there). Coming from the county, it's definitely cheaper for housing.

Since housing is by far the bulk of living costs, I haven't paid that much attention to costs here, although if groceries cost more at least the produce isn't bad and the shelves don't contain lots of expired items like I experienced at Giant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 07:15 PM

138 posts, read 127,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulmserine View Post
Wow... these are great information. We live in Towson (Rodgers Forge/ Baltimore County). Safe and nice neighborhood with great school (9/10) Townhouses. I agree - Baltimore has it's charm BUT boy I don't feel safe here (and now having a baby girl I am not happy to raise her here Denver seems like so much safer and we LOVE the outdoors and nature! I looked up some statistics and as it seems in may ways Denver is cheaper than Baltimore, so that is definitely a plus.

I was interested in Broomfield BUT I say that they have some sort of animal limit. We are moving with two dog (Berners) and two cats. Thanks again for all those information - I might get back to you as soon as I know more details (when, how... ha!)
A lot of Westminster is really nice and Thornton seems nice depending on where you are as well. My wife has found commuting from the north of Downtown to be pretty reasonable, except that I-25 seems to get clogged up a bit. I-25 south of downtown and the major roads on the south side seem to be more clogged up in general for commuting, or at least that's the input I've gotten from my wife's coworkers.

I'm glad we're renting at first; this place is very disparate and large. Figuring out where we want to be is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or