U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 07:34 PM

5 posts, read 2,943 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Denver area and was hoping for a little assistance. I have narrowed down the area I'd like to be in based on office location:

North of 6th ave, no further than a few miles past I70
West of 87 no further than the Golden area.

Wheat Ridge, Arvada, Berkley, Westminster, etc and even the northern part of Lakewood would be ok.

I'm looking for a family friendly area with decent schools and clean. Can anyone point me in the right direction or at least tell me the areas that I should avoid?

I would really like to avoid section 8.

I have been all over google and the apartment websites and haven't found anything but frustration.

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 08:07 PM

14,046 posts, read 20,368,649 times
Budget?
Pets?

Old 10-19-2015, 08:43 PM

Long story short I'll be moving then the family will be joining me in a couple months after that.

Yes there will be pets but not at first...dog & cat.

Optionally Id like to find a one or two bedroom first and then moving up after the family gets there; hopefully in the same complex so i'd guess 1500 or less at first then 2500 or less after a few months.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:58 PM

Age of kids?

Old 10-19-2015, 09:16 PM

Grade School. I have heard a lot of positive stuff about Jeffco Public schools and Lakewood High but I'm not sure how the districts works in the area. Where I'm from it is solely based on where you live. Is it different? School, grade school specifically, needs to be one of the top reasons for selecting an apt...And cost of course.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:47 PM

8z Rentals - Real Estate Services - 4041 Hanover Ave - Boulder, CO - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

Old 10-20-2015, 07:01 AM

Thanks for that but most of 8z rentals seem to be in boulder and the ones around Denver aren't close to where I'm looking for.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:05 AM

361 posts, read 494,929 times
Belmar area of Lakewood. Lots of apartment complexes, walking to shops, grocery, restaurants, movies, library, cultural center, parks, you name it. VERY pet-friendly area. Most of the apartments have aggressive breed restrictions, but at least my building has no real size limits for dogs (as evidenced by 2 Bernese Mountain Dogs in 1 apartment, and a Great Dane in another, not to mention every other dog that we've gotten to know in our almost 2 years here!). A dog and a cat won't be an issue for most of the complexes in the Belmar area, depending on the breed for the dog.

For schools, I'm not as familiar with the elementary schools, but Colorado has choice enrollment if the local elementary isn't what you're looking for. Some schools may be capped, but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask. Here's a link to info about the choice enrollment process: JEFFCO Public Schools - Enrollment

I just looked up the school for my apartment building in the Belmar area and it's Deane Elementary. And, I'll be honest, if it were me, I'd look into seeing if you can choice into Belmar Elementary or South Lakewood Elementary. Both are still quite close. We were lucky enough to be able to choice into Lakewood High when we moved from NC; the process for us was quite easy. I simply went to the school and asked. With that said, part of the reason we wanted to choice in was due to the music program, so we also did an audition with the orchestra teacher also, and he made sure we got into his program. I really was never told if the school was capped or not, I DO know after the audition, we were told, essentially, "yeah, you'll be going here. Tell your counselor to have you signed up for chamber orchestra when you select classes." So, I don't know what happens if a school is at capacity.

Good luck with your search, and if you want any specific questions answered about this area, feel free to PM me!

Old 10-20-2015, 07:57 PM

Perfect, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or