U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2015, 11:51 AM

9 posts, read 6,689 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to drive from Las Vegas to Denver in December (between 24th-26th) but I'm worried about the weather and road conditions, as the forecast is -10˚C (14 F) in some areas (I seems that the I-70 is the best route).

I've never driven in snow, and as we will be in a rented car, don't know if some kind of special care for the tires (or something like that) would be needed.

I've read other topics here, but none of them regarding this route in December.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:09 PM

4,884 posts, read 9,636,549 times
There are plenty of threads here about driving through Colorado, and especially I-70, in the winter. I just scrolled down through the Colorado forum and found two threads from earlier this week. If you've never driven in snow, driving through mountains in both Utah and Colorado in the middle of winter in a rental car is not a very good decision. Weather could be clear and sunny or there could be a blizzard. Black ice is a major concern.

How in the world did you get a weather forecast for two months from now????

Old 10-26-2015, 12:14 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,494,166 times
I've had some rental cars with incredibly bald tires. I would not try a rental car from Las Vegas on this route. Because the Denver International Airport sends people into the mountains all the time they will have cars with better tires.

Suggestions:
#1. Fly. You probably don't want to attempt this trip never having driven in snow.
#2. Drive to Reno and take the Amtrak train (if your afraid to fly).
#3. If you must drive and can be sure you will get a car with good tires and have someone along who can drive in the snow when things get dicey or if you are willing to pull over and wait at a hotel until conditions improve then drive South to I-40. Take that East to I-25 and then North to Denver.

Under no circumstances should you who have never driven in snow and plan to drive a rental car with probably bald, or summer or unsuitable all season (meaning not well rated for snow and ice) try to drive over I-70. Some all season tires are OK but probably not those put on cars in Las Vegas where they need to stand up to the extreme heat.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
There are plenty of threads here about driving through Colorado, and especially I-70, in the winter. I just scrolled down through the Colorado forum and found two threads from earlier this week. If you've never driven in snow, driving through mountains in both Utah and Colorado in the middle of winter in a rental car is not a very good decision. Weather could be clear and sunny or there could be a blizzard. Black ice is a major concern.

How in the world did you get a weather forecast for two months from now????
I checked some websites like Local Weather from AccuWeather.com - Superior Accuracy™ and they all had the same information. I know it is too early to get the "real" weather conditions for December, but that's the best I got now.

My original plan was to travel by car to know different places/cities and because it will be a lot cheaper than a flight.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I've had some rental cars with incredibly bald tires. I would not try a rental car from Las Vegas on this route. Because the Denver International Airport sends people into the mountains all the time they will have cars with better tires.

Suggestions:
#1. Fly. You probably don't want to attempt this trip never having driven in snow.
#2. Drive to Reno and take the Amtrak train (if your afraid to fly).
#3. If you must drive and can be sure you will get a car with good tires and have someone along who can drive in the snow when things get dicey or if you are willing to pull over and wait at a hotel until conditions improve then drive South to I-40. Take that East to I-25 and then North to Denver.

Under no circumstances should you who have never driven in snow and plan to drive a rental car with probably bald, or summer or unsuitable all season (meaning not well rated for snow and ice) try to drive over I-70. Some all season tires are OK but probably not those put on cars in Las Vegas where they need to stand up to the extreme heat.
I've searched for some flights, but in the end it would be a lot more expensive than a travel by car (because of luggage additional fares). And besides that, I'm traveling with my 2 sons and I thought we could drive slowly and get to now different places.

I'll check your suggestion #2.

Thanks a lot!

Old 10-26-2015, 01:10 PM

4,884 posts, read 9,636,549 times
I applaud your original plan to travel by car and do some sight seeing, but choosing to do so through mountains in the middle of winter with no experience driving in snow just doesn't make any sense.

Have you checked into the cost of flights from Vegas to Denver? You might be surprised at how cheaply this can be done. Although maybe not at Christmas time.

mic111's suggestion of taking the train is a good one. You'll see some sights from the train that can't be seen from the highway.

Edit: just saw your latest post that came up while I was writing.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:18 PM

Yes, and indeed it's really cheap. Some flights from Las Vegas to Denver, in 24th and 25th, are $29. But all companies charge an additional $30-$50 per luggage.

And as we are coming from Brazil (in the middle of an economic crisis) $200-or more would make a big difference.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:43 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,476,224 times
Okay, since you've never driven in the snow, I SERIOUSLY do not recommend this as it's much more than just driving in the snow. I've made the exact trip many times in the winter and can say you MAY and most likey WILL experience some or all of the following:

1. Sudden whiteout conditions
2. Rounding a curve or cresting a hill to find:
a. Animals
b. Wrecks including overturned semi trucks
c. Cars stopped in the road
3. Snowblindness/snow hypnosis
4. Black ice
5. Slush, slush spray, slush waves from other vehicles
6. Wet grit constantly coating windshield
7. Slush, snow, ice tracking...when grooves or mounds pull your car into it's track or off the road.
8. Heavy wind, which can make steering on slippery roads difficult and can cause instant or prolonged whiteouts
9. Fog and sleet...sleet in itself can wreak havoc...it can build up on the wipers causing them to raise off the windshield hence preventing contact, eliminating their effectiveness.
10 . Drivers that can't drive in the conditions...BIG Hint and factor!

If you are determined to do this anyway:

1. Stay in the right lane and do not get cocky/confident and start passing those who are driving for the conditions
2. drain all the WATER out of the windshield wiper reservoir and fill with windshield wash that's rated to -20 below...if your bottle or lines freeze, you're screwed!
3. Snow or all weather tires
4 Chains/cables
5. CASH!
6. Blankets, drinking water and tea light candles and s0mething like a jar to put the lit candles in...you may need them for heat.
7. Snow boots/clothes in case you have to walk somewhere or if you have to wait for emergency services.
8. The ability to last/stay/pay to wait out the highway being closed mid trip due to conditions...you may be staying in some crappy mountain town for a day or four if they close the highway.
9. Be aware that any breakdown or accident will probably happen in a place with no cell service...I-70 is pretty covered but there's still black areas, even with Verizon.
10. ANY breakdown, stay or repair will cost you much more and take much longer in the mountains than anywhere else...especially in bad weather.

FLY! Do not be that warm climate flat-lander attempting to drive through snowy mountains whom causes an accident that can change or take your life or another persons.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:11 PM

2,409 posts, read 2,631,733 times
I see your situation is complicated. You have a very limited budget and no experience driving in the snow.

As others have pointed out, by driving, you are risking a lot of things that can eventually cost more than the money you'd save. One snowstorm can ********* up big time. A lot of times things happen out of your control. Accidents may happen through no fault of your own. Regardless, the safety of your children is top priority, isn't it?

How many bags do you guys have? Is shipping using USPS an option if the baggage fees are unbearable?

Old 10-26-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
I see your situation is complicated. You have a very limited budget and no experience driving in the snow.

As others have pointed out, by driving, you are risking a lot of things that can eventually cost more than the money you'd save. One snowstorm can ********* up big time. A lot of times things happen out of your control. Accidents may happen through no fault of your own. Regardless, the safety of your children is top priority, isn't it?

How many bags do you guys have? Is shipping using USPS an option if the baggage fees are unbearable?
You're right. Each one of us will carry 1-2 bags as this is a 20-day trip to the U.S. So, probably 4-6 bags in the end.

I guess I have to (somehow) reschedule my budget...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or